Shopping on the Pacific Pearl

Hi All,

To all of those who have been on the Pearl, I was wondering if anyone can shed some light as to what the shopping is like onboard. We are booked in the Pearl in Nov and I was keen to know if the shopping was any good and if the duty free prices are reasonable. We just recently got off Rhapsody and the shopping was not that great, although the duty free alchohol was fantastic and very cheap. I was hoping that it would be the same on the pearl, but have more to offer. Can anyone shed any light on the matter. Thanks:)

We just recently got off Rhapsody and the shopping was not that great, although the duty free alchohol was fantastic and very cheap. I was hoping that it would be the same on the pearl, but have more to offer. Can anyone shed any light on the matter. Thanks:)

It's somewhat similar in what it has to offer - different range, but overall similar extent (based on her sisters - I haven't seen Pearl myself). Pricing for alcohol won't be as good as they're Australian based suppliers so comparable to local duty free.

Only did a day tour but the Pearl looked like it had a lot more to offer in the way of shopping then the Rhapsody. Had a lot of non duty free specialty shops like a cadbury chocolate shop.

Wouldn't bother with duty free booze on a ship, wait for vila, suva etc cheaper :)

From experience not on the Pearl, P&O don't have quite as good duty free prices probably because as the big m said the suppliers are local. Always wait to the end of the cruise to buy duty free, as they know all the suckers that were willing to get ripped off have made their purchases and normally run big specials :)

P&O will match any duty free quote you can get, so pretty much I suggest you shop around before, on the cruise and at ports so you know your actually getting an alright deal.

Only did a day tour but the Pearl looked like it had a lot more to offer in the way of shopping then the Rhapsody. Had a lot of non duty free specialty shops like a cadbury chocolate shop.

Wouldn't bother with duty free booze on a ship, wait for vila, suva etc cheaper :)

From experience not on the Pearl, P&O don't have quite as good duty free prices probably because as the big m said the suppliers are local. Always wait to the end of the cruise to buy duty free, as they know all the suckers that were willing to get ripped off have made their purchases and normally run big specials :)

P&O will match any duty free quote you can get, so pretty much I suggest you shop around before, on the cruise and at ports so you know your actually getting an alright deal.

Excellent... Thanks for your information. Funnily enough the duty free on Rhapsody was cheaper for certain items than what we found in the shops in Vila. I ended up buying on the ship. I was mostly interested in other items apart from the alcohol on the ship. Rhapsodys shopping was more geared for females, there was not alot of offer for the men.

The 'duty free' alcohol in Suva is ridiculously expensive - much more expensive than buying in a bottle shop in Australia. Example - AUD$82 for 1 litre of vodka.

On our just-completed P & O cruise the duty free alcohol seemed to be cheaper than previously, but they didn't have specials (big or small) at the end. I have the price list here if anyone wants prices on specific brands. Although the prices are good, the range is not as extensive as in Vila.

On the first two days of the cruise there is an extra 10% discount for purchases over $50. There are also '2 for $25' and 2 for $35 deals (10% discount didn't apply on these).

We have found in the past when we waited until late in the cruise to buy that the popular brands were sold out. My advice is that if you are cruising on P & O, buy in the first two days.

I cannot make any comment about duty free prices on other cruise lines.

The 'duty free' alcohol in Suva is ridiculously expensive - much more expensive than buying in a bottle shop in Australia. Example - AUD$82 for 1 litre of vodka.

O

That is a rediculous price. A one litre bottle of Vodka duty free on the QM2 was only $11.

It was $40 a bottle to drink in your cabin with 6 cans of mixer.

We also bought some small tins of mints with a photo of the QM2 on it for $1.99. The exact same ones on the Pacific Sun (but with pacific sun photo on of course) was $3.95.

What about the brands of mens watches?

I have made somewhat of an expensive habit every time i go on the cruise? Anyone know what brands they sell?

Well on Rhapsody the Mens watches were great. I picked up a fantastic Guess watch for $125 USD. Everyone comments that its the best looking mens watch they have ever seen. I just love it. They had all the good brands onboard. I have no idea what the P&O ones are like. Guess I will find out in November.

What about the brands of mens watches?

I have made somewhat of an expensive habit every time i go on the cruise? Anyone know what brands they sell?

I haven't been on the Pearl yet either Itachi, but I would assume they'd carry the same brands as Pacific Sun. I got a really nice Ben Sherman watch for $100. They had Guess and CK ones too (all reasonably close in price, if I remember correctly).

I was spewing last time as the TAG watch I saw was the exact one I had been eyeing off here and it was like $1200-$1400 cheaper than what I saw in the shops here.

I have been wanting one for about 3 - 4 years so I guess the best way is to go armed and educated on the models/prices and see how they compare aboard... although I regret not getting it last cruise :(

Its a bit sad tho, buying a watch (that i probably can't afford) that could get me 2 fares on a ship :(

I read in another thread/post somewhere about the delicious Chocolate Ravioli.

When I went in to ask in the Pearl Choc Shop, the girl didn't know what I was talking about. Not impressed with the Choc Shop really, to me it was a pokey, overpriced shop. Nothing special, unless you wanted to impress your wife or girlfriend.

Wait till you get home. It will be much cheaper.

Does anyone else remember reading a post about the Ravioli? :confused:

Hi shellseas, I think you get the Chocolate Ravioli, in the Chocolate Cafe on the Pacific Jewel, I don't think any other ships in the P&O fleet have a Chocolate Cafe yet.

Jenny

That's right, Jenny. Certainly, the P Dawn and P Sun do not have a Chocolate Cafe. (Actually, I can do enough damage at meal times without it! :cool:)

Archived