No credit for deceased military spouse.

FL..NC

That's more likely a TA discounting who markets to military, I've never seen any direct military discounts from Princiess.

Au contraire: Celebrity may not give OBC to military, but they have fabulous discounts for fares, although not on every cruise or category. The TA I am booked on for May has military discounts for some balcony cabins that is 45% off the regular rate! EM

If you have a DD-214 in your name then you would qualify. If you do not then even with an ID card you would not qualify for the OBC. All military personnel know that the DD-214 is the one and only way to prove military service. I am sorry that spouses and dependants do not Qualify but as has been previously posted a line must be drawn somewhere or all would be wanting the same thing. Look at the reason the credit was originally given and see if you fall within that reason. Then see if you meet the requirements for applying, if you do then submitt your request. If not then I am sorry but the program is not for you.

That's more likely a TA discounting who markets to military, I've never seen any direct military discounts from Princiess.

As you can see in your quote, I mentioned Celebrity, not Princess. And I find my cruise, then email my TA to book it. EM

I think that Princess may have had 2 objectives in mind. First was to thank the actual veteran. Second was to extend thanks without reducing the fare. The only way to meet both criteria was to issue a credit (once cruise fare was fully paid) and apply the credit only to the actual veteran's on board account. The only way to verify eligibility as a veteran was to verify actual service through a DD214. On some cruiselines everyone in the veteran's cabin would get the military rate, regardless if the cabin mates were the veteran's dependents or not. In that sense, everyone in the veteran's cabin was being thanked not for his or her individual service, but for being fortunate enough to be in the veteran's cabin. Princess's military OBC is truly unique in that it thanks actual service without losing revenue through fare reduction. I know that dependents also make contributions and I thank them for being by our sides during and after our service. I just think that it came down to economics and Princess decided that it was better to thank the veteran rather than not thanking anyone at all. Thank you Princess for having this program.

I think it is wonderful that Princess provides OBC to veterans. I've read the policy and understand that military widows don't qualify. But it doesn't hurt to ask (and doesn't necessarily mean the person asking thinks they are entitled to anything, they are simply asking).

I'm a military widow, and there are some companies that do extend benefits to military widows (this does not mean they provide benefits to all dependents who have a "tan" ID card). Previously, my ID card listed me as "SP" for spouse; it now lists me as "DB" for Direct Beneficiary. When I was issued the new ID card 3 days after losing my husband, I was told that it is listed that way so that I would be able to obtain benefits on my own, versus as a spouse.

Having said that, I never assume that I'm entitled to anything, but I have found that if I politely ask and explain the designation "DB" on the ID card, some companies do extend whatever military benefit they provide to "DBs."

My husband was a fighter pilot who served in the Gulf War; he died of service-connected disabilities, and yes, as a spouse, I sacrificed in a different way. But I was never active duty so I wouldn't assume I would receive a benefit reserved for active duty and previously active duty personnel.

(On a side note, I've worked for the military for 30 years, swore an oath, and yes, I can even deploy to the desert just like the active duty folks I work with. There are even fewer companies that provide any additional benefits for that, but it never hurts to ask.)

I know that companies are in business to make money and that benefits do in fact take away from the bottom line and therefore must be limited. So although I don't qualify, thank you Princess for providing tangible recognition of the service of our military personnel.

I do not see "DB" on my ID card. Maybe diff. he was navy? I have "URW" also "RETDEC".

I do enjoy some benefits....

Did not read Princess policy. TA said to send it in .We both were wrong.

Au contraire: Celebrity may not give OBC to military, but they have fabulous discounts for fares, although not on every cruise or category. The TA I am booked on for May has military discounts for some balcony cabins that is 45% off the regular rate! EM

As far as I know, Princess is the only cruiseline to offer the OBC to both US and Canadian veterans.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived