Auto Tip

mercede70

How do you know if the auto tip is getting fairly distributed? What about people who do not auto tip == would the staff even know if they had agreed to that or not? Or are all the auto tips pooled together and distributed and not distinguished by cabin number?

The tips are pooled. The staff(especially the room stewards) are told and questioned when the DSC is removed. Since their supervisors participate in the pool, its in their interest to find out why.

So far NO employee of any cruise line has complained about the system. So far NCL even absorbs the cost of the credit card and doesn't reduce the amounts. The employees sue the cruise lines all the time and there is NOT ONE report of any such lawsuit(there are numerous reports of such lawsuits on land-Starbucks in CA is being sued for improperly distributing the tips from the tip jar). In the past custom dictating that the people directly tipped would tip out of the amount they received the back room staff I mentioned above-so they never really kept it all anyway- now with the DSC distribution that is taken care of and they don't have to tip out any extra they receive...

And NCL is the only cruise line that I have ever seen have so many officers at the meet and greet with their cards. If you take time also to get to know your staff it will really suprise you how great they are. There are some lines that do not pay at all so they really need us esp. the ones behind the scenes

yep, we have done Meet and Greets on 3 other lines, never have there been more than a couple of officers. On one cruise there were none.

As for adjusting the tips, this has never entered our minds, we have had 2 times when we did not tip our cabin stewards anything extra as they did their job (one time almost below par) but nothing above and beyond. Certainly I wouldn't expect other crew members to suffer because of a couple situtations. I did go to the head housekeeper once.

Nita

First, let me make clear...I don't work for NCL nor know anyone who does....and I don't know how bad a situation you may have faced so I have no idea what is right for you. However, over time, I've come to the following: #1: I can afford to cruise when I want and that, in itself, is a gift not everyone gets. #2: there are many many people we never see who make the cruise joyous...the people who do the laundry so we have those fluffy towels; the people who cut up all the veggies so we have all those spreads...you get the idea...it's not just the cabin stewards or the wait staff...it's alllll the rest of the folks who also benefit. #3: I can say I would never be willing to leave my home and my family to work 10+ hour days, seven days a week, on a ship, for 10 months!!! Thus, I always am willing to pay the DSC and to tip extra when warranted. Just my opinion.

First, let me make clear...I don't work for NCL nor know anyone who does....and I don't know how bad a situation you may have faced so I have no idea what is right for you. However, over time, I've come to the following: #1: I can afford to cruise when I want and that, in itself, is a gift not everyone gets. #2: there are many many people we never see who make the cruise joyous...the people who do the laundry so we have those fluffy towels; the people who cut up all the veggies so we have all those spreads...you get the idea...it's not just the cabin stewards or the wait staff...it's alllll the rest of the folks who also benefit. #3: I can say I would never be willing to leave my home and my family to work 10+ hour days, seven days a week, on a ship, for 10 months!!! Thus, I always am willing to pay the DSC and to tip extra when warranted. Just my opinion.

Well said. I couldn't agree more.

I have never had a problem with service that wasn't resolved very quickly when brought to the right persons attention. I have always found that the nicer you are to the staff the nicer they are to you. Staff talk to each other, if you are a mean and nasty person the whole crew will know and it will impact your whole cruise. I say this as I have seen more passengers being rude and nasty to the crew than vice versa.

We are inexperienced cruisers compared with the majority on these boards. Our next cruise on Jade early August will be only our 3rd. What we just can't understand is why these charges don't get included in the up front cost of the cruise. They appear complusory, added to your on board account if not prepaid, so why not part of initial cost? Our last cruise was on Ocean Village and the cruise price included all service charges. Of course there were collection points on the last day to reward extra if you felt it necessary. Everyone did generously as the service was of high standard.

Shouldn't good service be expected as part of the prepaid cost with exceptional service rewarded by a tip?

We are inexperienced cruisers compared with the majority on these boards. Our next cruise on Jade early August will be only our 3rd. What we just can't understand is why these charges don't get included in the up front cost of the cruise. They appear complusory, added to your on board account if not prepaid, so why not part of initial cost? Our last cruise was on Ocean Village and the cruise price included all service charges. Of course there were collection points on the last day to reward extra if you felt it necessary. Everyone did generously as the service was of high standard.

Shouldn't good service be expected as part of the prepaid cost with exceptional service rewarded by a tip?

whether you pay it in the fare or as a dsc, aren't you just paying it anyway? If it was included in the fare it would take a major disaster on board to get it back. If it was included in the fare normally added expenses to it would be included including at least taxes, overhead(including the credit card charge) and possibly commissions so that the $1 you pay in DSC would cost you 1.30 or more....so be careful what you ask for...and its also not included as a marketing ploy...

and as an example Azamara announced it would be included(along with some other things) and increased its fare by 25%...more than justified by the basic service inclusion and the value of the other things....

The reason we don't quibble is that it's less expensive this way.

I may be way off base for posting this, and if so I apologize in advance. I just don't want folks starting to think because they encounter a rude crew member they will get OBC. I honestly believe the reason they were so generous to give you $100.00 of OBC was more to do with finding a screw in your food than the crew members reaction to it. The only reason I say that is that once in a local restaurant here I found a screw in my food. I asked for the manager just to show him so that he could find the source of the screw so that other people wouldn't find one by biting down on it. Luckly I saw it on my plate as shortly after I was served the food. The manager insisted that he not only take care of our charges that day, but gave us a $50.00 gift card for our next visit. I kept telling him that wasn't why I showed him, but he would not take no for an answer. Again, I may be wrong, but it is just my feeling.

I think this is probably the reason for the OBC also. In today's litigious society it wouldn't surprise me if employees were trained to react in a neutural manner to these types of issues to reduce the risk of someone claiming "even the server said this was wrong" to bolster their claim (not that finding foreign objects in food needs any bolstering).

We are inexperienced cruisers compared with the majority on these boards. Our next cruise on Jade early August will be only our 3rd. What we just can't understand is why these charges don't get included in the up front cost of the cruise. They appear complusory, added to your on board account if not prepaid, so why not part of initial cost? ....

For you, if the DSC (Daily Service Charge, not really a gratuity) were added to the fare, the Govt Tax would be based on that total, so would other fees, and you'd end up paying even more. That's one reason for keeping it separate.

For you, if the DSC (Daily Service Charge, not really a gratuity) were added to the fare, the Govt Tax would be based on that total, so would other fees, and you'd end up paying even more. That's one reason for keeping it separate.

Thanks for that can see the saving, but do we know the DSC goes to crew not Cruise Line?

SeaShark,

I'm an Aussie and for some reason when we book on NCL we pay the gratuity up-front - and it is called a gratuity in my documentation, not a service charge.

We also pay up front in the UK but it is still called a service charge. We think of it as being basic gratuities and tip any extra when we feel it is appropriate.

Do I read this correctly? You can avoid the DSC by removing it from your onboard account if not prepaid. Whilst I believe all cruise costs should be paid in advertised price I accept the convention that operates and would not remove DSC regardless of any indivdual slip up. But how many do I wonder?

Do I read this correctly? You can avoid the DSC by removing it from your onboard account if not prepaid. Whilst I believe all cruise costs should be paid in advertised price I accept the convention that operates and would not remove DSC regardless of any indivdual slip up. But how many do I wonder?

Yes, your understanding is correct - you are allowed to remove the DSC. Unfortunately, some people do it for no good reason at all, which I think is simply wrong. If there's some egregious service issue that was reported and then not suitably rectified, I can understand reducing or eliminating it, but not under normal circumstances. How many remove it for no good reason? I don't think there's any way for any of us to figure that out.

[quote name='Barkeeper']Do I read this correctly? You can avoid the DSC by removing it from your onboard account if not prepaid. Whilst I believe all cruise costs should be paid in advertised price I accept the convention that operates and would not remove DSC regardless of any indivdual slip up. But how many do I wonder?[/QUOTE]

No one has any idea how many do remove it, but the cruise line knows and the last full day on our cruise I needed to ask the reception desk a question: the lines were very long, my guess, though I don't know this, most were in line to do their complaining just to remove the service charge. I would never think of removing the charge as I know too many depend on it as a means of earning their living. Sure, I have had questionable service a couple of time, and yes, I have complained, but never to the extreme that this would even enter my mind.

Now for those who would like to see the charge added to the overall cost of the cruise, I won't even start on all the reasons this is not a good idea. I know of 4 or 5 right off the top of my cap.

Nita

[quote name='mercede70']After reading the issues that are present on many of the NCL ships regarding poor service, (slow, rude, dismissive) do you alter the auto tip that is already in place?

Before I get berated with auto tip comments, I am not trying to omit or "stiff" anyone and I have never before altered it-I'm just wondering what is the appropriate protocol. I have only cruised 3 times so I am a newbie, but understand that CC responses can sometimes get a bit harsh-please be nice to me..... :o[/quote]

[COLOR=Black][FONT=Arial Black]The problem, Mercede, is that you might come across one or two individuals who might be rude, slow or dismissive, but if you look at the whole, most give great service. On my last cruise, I had to ask my steward to fill the soap dispenser in the shower and on the sink. The service to the room also lacked in some other ways. I met other, individuals, who were rude (my steward was always pleasant).

Here is what I also noticed. On Carnival and past NCL cruises, the stewards had a staff working with them to clean rooms. On the Sun last week, I noticed the presents of only stewards. I didn't see a staff working with them. It looked like they were given the work of a group to perform alone.

There was another steward down the hall who did not appear to be the friendliest person when you spoke to him. He would speak but not like the cheery tones that you usually hear. If I had extra work placed on me that I suspect they have, I would be very down to. You have to also consider people have different personalities and are just not the cheery type ( I work with someone like that). I was passing this steward in the hall and I mentioned Karaoke and he came alive. I voiced he found great pleasure in Karaoke. That was the most he spoke all week.

I had other experiences, negative, and I might write a review and voice them with the wonderful people that I met on the Sun.

Sometimes we have to realize that we don't know what the person is going through at the moment (away from family, problems with family that they are away from or just a bad moment - I know that I have had them at work).

With the above in mind, I would be very hesitant to adjust my autotips in a negative manner, IMHO/
[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='newmexicoNita']No one has any idea how many do remove it, but the cruise line knows and the last full day on our cruise I needed to ask the reception desk a question: the lines were very long, my guess, though I don't know this, most were in line to do their complaining just to remove the service charge. I would never think of removing the charge as I know too many depend on it as a means of earning their living. Sure, I have had questionable service a couple of time, and yes, I have complained, but never to the extreme that this would even enter my mind.

Now for those who would like to see the charge added to the overall cost of the cruise, I won't even start on all the reasons this is not a good idea. I know of 4 or 5 right off the top of my cap.

Nita[/quote]

I am always suspicious of people who visit the reception desk on final day!

[quote name='Barkeeper']Do I read this correctly? You can avoid the DSC by removing it from your onboard account if not prepaid. Whilst I believe all cruise costs should be paid in advertised price I accept the convention that operates and would not remove DSC regardless of any indivdual slip up. But how many do I wonder?[/quote]

the number removing it is very small(less than 10%, if its that much). The figures I heard at one time was around 3% or less on most cruises. There are occasional cruises where its higher and that is a subject of concern by the ship that has to be explained to the home office.

BTW there is not ONE piece of evidence, anecdotal or otherwise that anything but the whole amount makes it to the traditionally tipped crew or tipped out crew(except for the Pride of America where its handled differently). As I said, crew members sue the cruise lines all the time and there is not one such law suit reported. There is no even rumors that it doesn't make it to the crew in total without any home office charge.

Archived