Sun reviews-observing patterns of dissatisfaction

steve4031

I am experienced enough with cruise critic to understand that negative reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. However, I read several reviews today of the Sun, and saw a patter of concerns involving crowding in the garden cafe.

Is this a matter of really poor design and customer service, or is it that some people are not finding ways to work with the situation? On the our upcoming cruise in the Baltics, to me the strategy would be for one of us to get a table and the other one to get food. And then switch off. Obviously, we don't want to monopolize a table. But we don't want to be carrying food around looking for a table.

Since this is a port intensive cruise, I anticipate many passengers rushing to get breakfast each morning on port days. How early is breakfast available?

If you order room service for an inside cabin on the Oslo deck, how well does that work. IIRC there are two beds and a couch with maybe a small table. Does the room set up allow two people to comfortably eat breakfast? Thanks

When I ate breakfast in the buffet by myself I always got my table first, either reserving a spot with a book or joining others and having them save my place. If the weather was nice I'd get a spot in the Great Outdoors. If the weather wasn't nice I usually got a spot in The Sports Bar instead of the buffet simply because I like the view better in there. I never had a problem getting a seat.

Hubby and I were in a porthole cabin. We didn't have a table since the couch was one that would flip out to make a bed if there'd been a third person. We sometimes ate breakfast in our cabin. I'd sit on the couch with the plate on my lap and my cup/saucer on the end of the bed while hubby sat on the chair sideways to the desk so he could talk to me. Or, facing the tv if we were watching a program. If the couch were empty of our 'stuff', we'd both sit on the couch and put our cups of coffee on the chair. Some people wouldn't feel comfortable this way, but it let us have a leisurely morning on sea days.

Awesome! I always thought the Sports Bar was somewhat of a specialty restaurant and their food cost additional money. Do they have more than wings?

Yes, they have a very similar menu as the Blue Lagoon on other ships, but I don't think it is quite as extensive and the hours are more evening into the later night hours, versus all day at Blue Lagoons.

Nita

Awesome! I always thought the Sports Bar was somewhat of a specialty restaurant and their food cost additional money. Do they have more than wings?

I don't remember everything they had but their hamburgers are delicious and imo so is their fish. My husband would order 6 pieces but I'd order only three. It comes with a side of french fries. Even if you order coleslaw as a side it still includes french fries.

Food isn't served in the Sports Bar until 5:30pm though so don't expect afternoon snacks.

MDR. Nita

They are also many times available in the buffet, at the very beginning of the line, where the soup and fruit are. I had chilled soup as my dessert instead of as a soup cours, several times in the buffet.

Also, regarding your earlier remark about breakfast in Las Ramblas, although you can take your buffet food up there to eat, they no longer serve breakfast there. Too bad. In 2006 when we were on the Sun for the Panama Canal transition we often had breakfast in Las Ramblas. But this past Sept/Oct, alas, no more breakfast in Las Ramblas. We had omelets or waffles in Pacific Heights (now Moderno) instead.

These chilled soups--are they in the MDR or the Buffet? I never saw any on the Epic and in the past I have loved them...

Sun had them in the buffet also. I feel like some of the other ships have had also. Attached is pic of chilled strawberry being served in Sun buffet by a smiling face.

DSCN8524.jpg.0b8cb8e37b33b47df4a6551e95e25b65.jpg

Chilled Peach Soup, Chilled Pineapple Soup, Chilled Pear and Ginger Soup, Chilled Blueberry Soup, Chilled Melon Soup, Chilled Cucumber and Dill Soup, Chilled Strawberry Soup, Chilled Rhubarb-Strawberry Soup, Chilled Grape Soup, Chilled Apple Soup, Chilled Peach and Apricot Soup, Chilled Cherry Soup, Chilled Watercress Soup. Available in the Garden Buffet as well. Loved them all.

One thing that helped with the buffet lines. I would take a quick walk around to see what was being offered, then after looking at everything I would grab my plate and just wander into the section that I wanted. If everyone did that there wouldn't be a non-moving line, you're not going to get one of every offering so just bop in and out.

As to the seating, we were usually pretty lucky finding a place. One of us would be first getting the food and do the tabel search and then the others would wander until they saw the table sitter. The hard part was the drinks, we'd either set down the plate of food at the table and go back for water or get the water with our dinner plates filled.

That is where most of the congestion was, the drinks counters were right when you walk into the buffet on both sides and people would congregate there and others were trying to fill cups/glasses and others were trying to get past to get to the food serving areas. That was always my pet peeve about the buffet, not the food lines nor the table issues which weren't really that bad.

I wouldn't consider a review to be negative if the negativity involved just the buffet. Yes the Garden Cafe is small but unless you are waiting for eggs to be cooked to your order or something like a crepe or stirfry you don't really wait in lines or at least we didn't in January. We would do a look around to see what we wanted then go right there. We never had an issue getting breakfast and getting a seat especially because there are seats right outside the buffet area and that is where we preferred to sit. They also have coffee, pastries and fruit out by the pool for a quick breakfast and you also have the Great Outdoors further aft.

One thing that helped with the buffet lines. I would take a quick walk around to see what was being offered, then after looking at everything I would grab my plate and just wander into the section that I wanted. If everyone did that there wouldn't be a non-moving line, you're not going to get one of every offering so just bop in and out.

As to the seating, we were usually pretty lucky finding a place. One of us would be first getting the food and do the tabel search and then the others would wander until they saw the table sitter. The hard part was the drinks, we'd either set down the plate of food at the table and go back for water or get the water with our dinner plates filled.

That is where most of the congestion was, the drinks counters were right when you walk into the buffet on both sides and people would congregate there and others were trying to fill cups/glasses and others were trying to get past to get to the food serving areas. That was always my pet peeve about the buffet, not the food lines nor the table issues which weren't really that bad.

We do exactly the same; one of us stakes out a table, the other get food and I too, always check out what is available instead of holding up the lines, trying to decide what I want. It works much better.

To those who have mentioned the cold soups, thanks, I have never paid enough attention I guess in the buffets. I had no idea they were there.

Nita

As I remember, there was a stack of plates at each station to show where to drop into the areas. The big problem when we were on board wasn't the buffet setup as much as the full line practice of many of the passengers. (These beginning to end folks are probably the same ones who complain that the buffet has "the same stuff every day.") Perhaps if there were little "red velvet ropes" separating the stations it would be a little more clear that one isn't in the school cafeteria line.:p

Chilled Peach Soup, Chilled Pineapple Soup, Chilled Pear and Ginger Soup, Chilled Blueberry Soup, Chilled Melon Soup, Chilled Cucumber and Dill Soup, Chilled Strawberry Soup, Chilled Rhubarb-Strawberry Soup, Chilled Grape Soup, Chilled Apple Soup, Chilled Peach and Apricot Soup, Chilled Cherry Soup, Chilled Watercress Soup. Available in the Garden Buffet as well. Loved them all.

Oh my goodness, those soups sound delicious. I must look for them. There are so many good things to eat, I rarely think of soup! I must breakaway from my habit of hot food and enjoy a nice chilled soup. Thanks! ;)

YUM! If they were on the Epic I am sorry I missed them!

Archived