Sun reviews-observing patterns of dissatisfaction

steve4031

I am experienced enough with cruise critic to understand that negative reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. However, I read several reviews today of the Sun, and saw a patter of concerns involving crowding in the garden cafe.

Is this a matter of really poor design and customer service, or is it that some people are not finding ways to work with the situation? On the our upcoming cruise in the Baltics, to me the strategy would be for one of us to get a table and the other one to get food. And then switch off. Obviously, we don't want to monopolize a table. But we don't want to be carrying food around looking for a table.

Since this is a port intensive cruise, I anticipate many passengers rushing to get breakfast each morning on port days. How early is breakfast available?

If you order room service for an inside cabin on the Oslo deck, how well does that work. IIRC there are two beds and a couch with maybe a small table. Does the room set up allow two people to comfortably eat breakfast?

Thanks

I am experienced enough with cruise critic to understand that negative reviews should be taken with a grain of salt. However, I read several reviews today of the Sun, and saw a patter of concerns involving crowding in the garden cafe.

Is this a matter of really poor design and customer service, or is it that some people are not finding ways to work with the situation? On the our upcoming cruise in the Baltics, to me the strategy would be for one of us to get a table and the other one to get food. And then switch off. Obviously, we don't want to monopolize a table. But we don't want to be carrying food around looking for a table.

Since this is a port intensive cruise, I anticipate many passengers rushing to get breakfast each morning on port days. How early is breakfast available?

If you order room service for an inside cabin on the Oslo deck, how well does that work. IIRC there are two beds and a couch with maybe a small table. Does the room set up allow two people to comfortably eat breakfast?

Thanks

Steve, I did this cruise this past August on the SUN to the baltics and am doing it again as part of a B2B with the trans-atlantic.....as for your questions, I didn't find any problems during breakfast finding a place to sit down and eat as you've got the pool-deck with tables along with the garden cafe, the great-outdoors cafe, the sports bar and what is now called the brazilian steakhouse......as for room service, if you place an order, they give you a call to let you know it is on the way to your room, as for eating in there, I can't really help you as I had a mini-suite for a room and had a desk and a table available

I saw a line at the buffet several times and it seemed a little chaotic there, but I went straight to the back of the ship and got food from the buffet at the Great Outdoors. I never had a problem finding a table.

Thanks

I was on the Sun two weeks ago and I can say that the design of the Garden Cafe has a lot to do with the chaos there. For starters, the ice cream station is located first as you enter the area from the pool deck. The number of people lined up for their treat is overwhelming and it holds the flow. I don't think that you will have any issues at breakfast time because not everybody shows up at the same time. However, lunch time is another story and I sincerely hope that the food improves for your cruise. I thought that the food at the Garden Cafe was consistently poor. Enjoy your cruise.

My experience is pre-makeover. The buffet is a poor design with one long snaking line, that people dont like to jump in halfway. Then there are not enough seats or tables...... and to make it worse, NCL have positionned a huge "revenue opportunity" in there selling drinks, taking up space for maybe another four tables. Not sure whether they still allow you to take your plate thru to the restaurant on the opposite side of the ship which we did every day (not the sports bar, the next one down.....they did eggs and coffee there).

St P day was no different from memory.

Thats how we did it when on the Sun. I am hoping for the Baltic cruise it will be warm enough to eat outside because there was lots of seats there (was too cold to do that in Alaska).

I do think the Sun was quite poorly designed but it is still a nice ship.

On last year's 15 day spring transatlantic we had a larger inside cabin on Oslo deck and ordered room service breakfast a couple times when we had an early morning before a port. The larger of the small tables worked fine when put it in front of the couch, but we much prefered eating our breakfasts in the main dining room.

On last year's 15 day spring transatlantic we had a larger inside cabin on Oslo deck and ordered room service breakfast a couple times when we had an early morning before a port. The larger of the small tables worked fine when put it in front of the couch, but we much prefered eating our breakfasts in the main dining room.

I agree. We ate all out meals in the main dining rooms and speciality restaurants, only had snacks and ice cream in the buffet. It's not like the buffet is your only choice for meals.

Thanks

wow, you title makes it sound like you are reading nothing but negatives about the Sun while you post indicates your concern is simply with the buffet. Yes, the buffet isn't designed well and due to the set up there isn't too much that can be done about it. Like most ships, regardless of the design, on port days the buffet is a total nightmare. We found the best way to solve this problem 1-order cont breakfast in your cabin or 2-go to the MDR or three, in the case of the Sun, Las Rambles also serves a basic breakfast or they used to anyway. You can also, normally find a table outside, either near the pool or the Great Outdoors. Even though the buffet set up leaves a lot to be desired, the overall reviews on the Sun are positive and we will be sailing her, for the third time next Feb. Enjoy your cruise, and just try and grin and bear or bare, the poorly designed Garden Buffet.

Nita

I thought from the post that the Sun might be sinking or something, and she's my favorite ship of the NCLs I've been on. But, you're right reference the buffet. Rather than saying it's the worst of the ships, let me say it this way, it's my least favorite....but still quite adequate for getting me fed. I frequently stand in Mc Donald lines much longer than any I've ever waited through on the Sun, and generally have been able to just walk up to my choices and jump right in. I've always found us a seat, but do enjoy going out to the Great Outdoors area usually. Yea, not the best design, but had I not seen other designs that are better, I would have been totally happy with it....actually, still am.

I am traveling with my father, and he is sometimes not flexible on certain issues. He has never been on a cruise, and has shown a lot of interest in the buffet area for breakfast. If it was just myself, I would eat in the main dining room and not worry about the buffet. Obviously, that is what I will try to encourage my father to do. However, if he is determined to eat in the buffet area, I figured the better I understood the logistics, the better I could work with the situation to make sure the cruise will go smoothly for us and everybody else around us.

My experience on the carnival boards is that many would complain about some aspect of a ship, and then when I got on the ship, everything was fine and that there is nothing to worry about. Of course, I had a plan B in the back of my mind to work around potential problem areas for eating. Since I was traveling with my GF (who is more flexible) I never really obsessed about anything.

I am sure the Sun (and NCL) will provide an excellent product. I believe if I do due dillegance for research, everything will go smoothly. Since I am used to the fantasy class ships and the Destiny on Carnival, I know that the Sun is a different style of ship and will present different situations and experiences. That is why I am asking about the negative reviews. I want to understand how to make the best of this style of ship.

Thank you for the assistance.

As I believe it was mentioned somewhere above, a buffet alternative is the grill that operates in the Great Outdoors. It has a selection of buffet, help yourself stuff already out. But also there's a cook standing by to custom cook your eggs as you wish, including making you a custom omlette. Let you dad walk through, look it over, then place his order with you, then he can go grab a seat and watch the world go past....assuming good weather of course. I hope he really enjoys it.

If we decide to work with the system and make the best of it, we will be fine. This is a once in a life time cruise, and it should be really exciting. I am definitely anticipating the pretzel rolls and the buffalo wings in the sports bar. I plan on making wings run every night on the cruise.

If we decide to work with the system and make the best of it, we will be fine. This is a once in a life time cruise, and it should be really exciting. I am definitely anticipating the pretzel rolls and the buffalo wings in the sports bar. I plan on making wings run every night on the cruise.

Well...as long as we're on it and I'm getting hungry, one of NCL specialities is their chilled soups, a different one each day, from vegtable based to fruit based. Ummm...good. The mention of pretzel rolls...ummm... made me think of it. Steve, if you haven't and do wish to give your dad a heads up on what to expect, here's a bunch of pics of the Sun from about 4 months ago. And she's had a drydock since then.....is that right???

http://s241.photobucket.com/albums/ff281/roganderson60/Sun/?start=all

What everybody has said about layout/options is pretty much right on. I'd say the best thing to do is know your options if you want to do a quick breakfast in the buffet area in lieu of the MDR. So if one area is full, you can pretty quickly divert to the other.

On our 12 day Baltics last June we only got to eat in the inside buffet area once - mostly because it was filled up whenever we were getting breakfast or a lunch snack. We would go to the outdoor cafe and typically eat out there or go to the old Pacific Heights which was next to the Sports Bar. At lunch we would either have a snack again outdoors or take it to the Sports Bar.

The one problem/cause I didn't see mentioned is that people "camp out" in the buffet when they weren't eating. We routinely saw people reading books, knitting, and yes, even sleeping in the inside buffet with no food on their table. You could walk to the front of the ship and go to the forward observation lounge and it was nearly empty and had better views IMO.

Well...as long as we're on it and I'm getting hungry, one of NCL specialities is their chilled soups, a different one each day, from vegtable based to fruit based. Ummm...good. The mention of pretzel rolls...ummm... made me think of it. Steve, if you haven't and do wish to give your dad a heads up on what to expect, here's a bunch of pics of the Sun from about 4 months ago. And she's had a drydock since then.....is that right???

The sun looks like a great ship.

The sun looks like a great ship.

Awesome! I always thought the Sports Bar was somewhat of a specialty restaurant and their food cost additional money. Do they have more than wings?

Yes...but can't remember all the items. The Sun doesn't have a Blue Lagoon. So the Sports Bar serves much of that type menu, although as I remember they don't have the same hours, their food only becoming available later in the day. I never went hungry regardless.

These chilled soups--are they in the MDR or the Buffet? I never saw any on the Epic and in the past I have loved them...

Archived