Tsunami warning and the Pride

afdds

Aloha,

I'm sitting high and dry in the Hawaii Kai area at 12:30am. Waiting for the waves to hit around 3am in Honolulu.

Does anyone have any information about the Pride? Just wondering if she is docked in Kauai or has she pulled out to sea?

Glad to hear you're off the coast...aerial footage of the waves coming onto Japan's coast look scary.

Keep us posted on what you hear.

I'm sure that if the Pride was docked, she'd put out to sea in light of this.....

Facebook comment from someone who I think has a family member working on Pride "keep Pride of America in Hawaii in your prayers as they wait out this Tsunami warning out in the Pacific Ocean...the whole crew is in the crew bar tonight afraid to go to sleep not knowing when they may be affected."

Wired services reporting that 6.5 ft. waves to arrive at the Hawaii islands beginning from Kauai. US navy ships are said to be staying in ports to ride it out (same for the West Coast navy vessels.)

The POA webcam hasn't been updated since midnight and it is dark out, but it sure looked like the ship is out at sea instead of docked.

Communications could be a bit difficult.

Our hearts & prayers go out to our global neighbors.

my brother's based in pearl harbor, and called me at 4:30am (I'm in NJ) to tell me he's gonna hangout at the beach all day.....

my prayers go out to those in the pacific, I'm hoping this tsunami doesn't continue to affect more lives :(

My parents are on the poa and they sent me a msg a couple of hours ago to say they took the boat out to sea

Good to hear. We were on the POA last week, very impressed with the crew!! I'm sure your parents and other cruisers are in good hands. Aloha.

from Norwegian's Facebook page:

"Hi Everyone,

The safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. We are closely monitoring the current tsunami advisory for Hawaii and the West Coast. All guests aboard Pride of America and Norwegian Star are safe and doing well.

Pride of America

Pride of America left Nawiliwili, Kauai early at approximately 1 am local time and is currently at sea where conditions are safe for the vessel. Once the warning is lifted and the port re-opens, the ship is expected to return to Nawiliwili today.

The ship will return to Honolulu on Saturday, March 12 and the next cruise will sail as scheduled.

Norwegian Star

Norwegian Star is at sea today as scheduled. The ship will arrive in Los Angeles tomorrow and the next cruise will sail as scheduled on Saturday, March 12."

Dear Cruise Critic Members,

The safety and security of our guests and crew is of the utmost importance. We are closely monitoring the current tsunami advisory for Hawaii and the West Coast. All guests aboard Pride of America and Norwegian Star are safe and doing well.

Pride of America

Pride of America left Nawiliwili, Kauai early at approximately 1 am local time and is currently at sea where conditions are safe for the vessel. Once the warning is lifted and the port re-opens, the ship is expected to return to Nawiliwili today.

The ship will return to Honolulu on Saturday, March 12 and the next cruise will sail as scheduled.

Norwegian Star

Norwegian Star is at sea today as scheduled. The ship will arrive in Los Angeles tomorrow and the next cruise will sail as scheduled on Saturday, March 12.

The POA's webcam is up and showing daylight, with the ship out at sea - probably experience rougher seas and waves, but safe as I"m sure the captain has all hands on deck riding out the danger. Minor damages being reported by the tsunami in HI - beginning to reach the western coastline of the Americas. Nothing compared to what's still going on in Japan, strong after-shocks (as high as 7.1 on the scale, yes) being reported and this might or might not yet to the "Big" one.

Initial reports in the first 24 to 48 hours are usually partial and often do not represent the scope and magnitude of the damages & devastations - in this case, it's reasonable to say that tens of thousands will be officially declared missing & dead, with so many being swept away along with the houses, cars and debris, etc.

Here's a live stream from NHK directly from abroad, it's working & you'll see the raw video footages coming in - without all those CNN experts and i-witnesses commenting .... :eek:

Link to the POA's webcam

http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/fleet/webcam.html?shipCode=PRIDE+AMER&browser_popup=360x260

The quake hit near the city of Sendai, about 1,200 miles north of Tokyo - it also triggered a nuclear emergency in Japan (which provides 30% of the country's electricity) with 4 million people in Tokyo itself not having electricity. Cellular phone networks are down and/or jammed.

As we go about our daily lives and the lucky ones getting ready to sail & cruise, let's just pause for a moment of silence (and, prayer) to our neighbors on our universe in these difficult times - it will be days and weeks before the full destructions are known.

Amen.

As we go about our daily lives and the lucky ones getting ready to sail & cruise, let's just pause for a moment of silence (and, prayer) to our neighbors on our universe in these difficult times - it will be days and weeks before the full destructions are known.

absolutely. Life sure changes in an instant, doesn't it?

mking8288: I think you meant 1200 km, not miles, right?

Very interesting information. :)

Correction to my initial post about distance between these 2 cities in Japan, it's about 189 km or 300 miles, a lot closer & this certainly explained the massive forces being felt in the city of Tokyo. Although the destructive forces are exponentially increased - got another live feed going on another connection - but it's all in Japanese. There's an English broadcast live feed but it's offline and/or not available. Cellphones aren't working in most places over there but skype are .... tons of text on twitter.

Just getting confirmation from USGS of a 2nd. (different) earthquake closer to Tokyo at 6.2+ scale, not an after-shock from the initial big one.

And, we have a significant military presence (and bases) in Japan and let's hope that our troops are safe & will be accounted for, and, can help those in needs once resources & logistics are deployed.

Daylight coming up in 30 minutes or so for the people in Sendai and it's a cold, damp, chilly morning with drizzles, temps in the mid 30 degree F.

Hard to explain but, a reminder of, sadly, of the classic NCL officers, staff & crew farewell theme song "We Are The Word" ....

Correction to my initial post about distance between these 2 cities in Japan, it's about 189 km or 300 miles, .

Further correction. Sentai is about 189 km, or around 118 miles.

I wonder? Did the captian point the bow of the ship toward the direction of the wave and then full steam forward? Maybe I have watched one too many ship movies and tidal waves. But, then I watched the pictures of the wave comming ashore and it sure looked like it had the possibly of cap sizing any ship if hit broadside. I also am aware that the wave most likely would not crest until the bottom of the ocean became shallow.

Archived