Which cruise line?

angiegal

If price weren't the issue, which cruise line would you take for a first-time visit to Alaska? This is a big anniversary cruise for us and have been saving a bit at a time for 15 years, so I'm really more concerned with quality vs. price. Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

Would definetly suggest Lindblad. We have traveled with them twice......small ships with the main emphasis on the destination. They have the most knowledgable naturalists, photo experts and guides in our opinion. For Alaska especially, small ships can get into areas that the larger ships cannot.

With price not an issue and quality as the primary consideration, Oceania is the easy choice in Alaska for my wife and I - amazing smaller ships with unique itineraries. http://www.oceaniacruises.com/regions/alaska/default.aspx Silversea and Regent Seven Seas tie for second place.

Are you aware that Crystal is doing 12 day cruises from San Francisco to Alaska this year?

Are you aware that Crystal is doing 12 day cruises from San Francisco to Alaska this year?

Thanks for the reminder. I've never looked at Crystal seriously, but those itineraries with both Glacier Bay and Sitka or Hubbard Glacier and Sitka put them on the list of possibilities.

LOL - you need to have a look at what premium/luxury cruise lines are like! (you won't find Princess on the list at http://www.cruisecritic.com//luxurycruises/shipreviews.cfm )

Op has only sailed on Carnival that would be quite a leap to Crystal. A lot of times people ask for the best cruise or best hotel and we tell them and they respond that's too high.:)

If price weren't the issue, which cruise line would you take for a first-time visit to Alaska? This is a big anniversary cruise for us and have been saving a bit at a time for 15 years, so I'm really more concerned with quality vs. price. Any thoughts/suggestions are greatly appreciated!!

For me- hands down, Lindblad. :)

A lot of times people ask for the best cruise or best hotel and we tell them and they respond that's too high.:)

If that's the case she can redefine her statement "I'm really more concerned with quality vs. price."

Oceania is the easy choice in Alaska for my wife and I - amazing smaller ships with unique itineraries.

And FYI, I just read they're offering 2 for 1 Cruises with free airfare & $1,000 bonus savings on all Alaska Cruises. You have to book before March 31st.

If you're looking at a Lindblad cruise (my first choice too!) be sure to sign up for the webinar as afterward you are given a code that gets you a discount as well.

Check out the article on Luxury vs. Premium on the Luxury page. Going on Crystal is a great value, even at its highest price point. First off, if you book with a large consortium, your gratuities are paid for. They are offering $500 per person on board credit and airfare. Those items cover most out of pocket expenses that you might have. In addition, their alternative restaurants have no surcharge, just a suggested gratuity. Want more, all non alcoholic beverages are included as well as all coffee drinks, and ice cream at their ice cream bar. They have truly special speakers. On the cruise we are going on we have a former head of the FBI profiling department, a former chief Washington News corespondent, a former diplomat all giving a series of talks. The ship is gorgeous, there are never any lines and laundry rooms have not charges. You will also never have better food or service on the 7 seas. You should consider it.

Thanks so much for all of the information so far!!

I'm researching all your suggestions so far. I appreciate you taking into consideration the fact that we've only been on Carnival. It's like you're my own travel agent :) We've only done Carnival for two reasons: #1 we are new to cruising in general and the short/inexpensive cruises were a nice way to find out if we like it #2 are kids came with us the last three years, they helped choose Carnival. As we are becoming more experienced, we plan to try other lines.

I didn't even realize Linblad existed- I'm obviously still early in the planning. Any reasons why you like to particular lines you suggested (like Martinsfo posted)?

Wow! Just looked at Oceania and with the 2 for 1 and free airfare deal and I'm actually considering going this year instead of waiting! Looks like we'd end up in an inside room, though. I'm not so sure about that.

Wow! Just looked at Oceania and with the 2 for 1 and free airfare deal and I'm actually considering going this year instead of waiting! Looks like we'd end up in an inside room, though. I'm not so sure about that.

I'm of the mindset, to live for today. I don't "wait" out much. :)

There are many posts on this board regarding inside/outside cabins. For me, the cheap cabin is my priority for multiple travel adventures. I couldn't care less, and don't "need" the inside for budget reasons, I like the savings. I would be going anyway :) For other's, it's something they won't consider.

You will need to take a look at your traveling priorities and find out for yourself, where you are.

Archived