wheelchair rental?

Contact Special Needs At Sea or Care Vacations, both on the web, for wheelchair rental. They are the "authorized" vendors for health care equipment rental on a ship. If you get a chair, from wherever, get a true wheelchair and not a companion chair. That means big wheels in the rear and small caster in the front. Compantion chairs have the same sized wheels and are hard to roll on carpet and rougher surfaces, Check the disabled cruise thread on CC.

We have rented from Special Needs at Sea and Care Vacations. It was $125.00 for a 7 night cruise with both companies. Excellent service - wheelchairs were in great condition and in the room when you arrive.

This is my first cruise and I am still in the planning stages.

$125 for wheelchair rental.

Cruise fee's

pre cruise hotel

tips

any fee's involved in leaving the ship

any drinks on the ship

This is beginning to look like it might not happen! Sheesh....

Haven't booked yet and already almost $3,000 for two people...

This is my first cruise and I am still in the planning stages.

$125 for wheelchair rental.

Cruise fee's

pre cruise hotel

tips

any fee's involved in leaving the ship

any drinks on the ship

This is beginning to look like it might not happen! Sheesh....

Haven't booked yet and already almost $3,000 for two people...

What week are you looking to cruise? Prices vary considerably depending on school vacations, weather, etc.

You do not have to pay for excursions. You can just get off and explore on your own.

You do not have to drink alcoholic drinks. There are many included non-alcoholic drinks. (tea, coffee, milk, iced tea, lemonade, flavored waters, juices with breakfast)

All of those other things are, indeed, part of the cost of taking a cruise.

The staff works very hard and deserves your gratuities.

I use "points" from a credit card to pay for my pre-cruise hotel.

It may be cheaper to buy a used one than to rent one.

Pllus if you rent one it will be waiting for you in your cabin.

RC has a limited number of wheelchairs for embarkation/dis... people have waited for over an hour for thier turn. And what do you do if your cabin IS NOT READY.

Buy one. The airlines do not count them as luggage.

Check with royal, just off Allure in December. Contacted guest relations and got a free one for the whole week. If i'am right they have a limited amount for free. But i alos heard some ships don't. It depends on the port you board...............DAVE

Actually I am pre-planning for a 30th wedding anniversary in 2013.

With having fibromyalgia I am unable to work - so I don't want to drain my hubby dry financially over the trip.

It was a nice idea - hoping to still make it happen.

I don't mind tipping people - just was unaware those fee's were not included. I also see on Royal that you have to pay for a drink package (non alcoholic). I was always told that cruising was like an all inclusive and that was why they were such great deals.

I am not so sure anymore. Flights, hotel for one night and alot of extra fee's. This isn't really what I thought it was going to be. Some people on these chat sights don't think the food is all that great - which really surprised me.

I guess I am somewhat disappointed and frustrated.

Will have to regroup. Although I am scared to dig deeper and find even more costs.

Thanks for all your help though - it is appreciated.

Actually I am pre-planning for a 30th wedding anniversary in 2013.

With having fibromyalgia I am unable to work - so I don't want to drain my hubby dry financially over the trip.

It was a nice idea - hoping to still make it happen.

I don't mind tipping people - just was unaware those fee's were not included. I also see on Royal that you have to pay for a drink package (non alcoholic). I was always told that cruising was like an all inclusive and that was why they were such great deals.

I am not so sure anymore. Flights, hotel for one night and alot of extra fee's. This isn't really what I thought it was going to be. Some people on these chat sights don't think the food is all that great - which really surprised me.

I guess I am somewhat disappointed and frustrated.

Will have to regroup. Although I am scared to dig deeper and find even more costs.

Thanks for all your help though - it is appreciated.

As I wrote above, non-alcoholic drinks are included. (see post #6)

Personally, I think that the food is good. Food taste is always subjective.

Anyone know how much to rent a wheelchair for one week?

It's often cheaper to rent one locally and take it with you on the airlines . Rather than renting one from Care Vacations or Special Needs at Sea. We I live you can rent a wheelchair for a week for $25-$35.

Hi I am from Canada too. I use to live in TO. For wheelchair contact the Ontario Health Care groups at home. They will loan a wheelchair for the week or two for free. Air planes do not charge for wheelchair as baggage.

Soda packages are extra ($48.50 (US). This is for all the soda you want. The water is free (same as bottled water but from your tap). Tea, coffee (not specialty types). ice tea, lemonade (sugar type) and juice in mornings are free.

Yes alcohol is charged (think upscale hotel Royal York). You can get a bucket of beer pay for 5 and get 6. There are 2 for one specials at certain times.

You do not need to eat in special pay for restaurants. The food in other places is good for most people (with the occasional bad steak).

Flow Rider, ice skating, shows, mini golf are all free.

You can get off the ship and go to near by beaches for about $10-$20. Some are free ie Labadee is a free beach with a BBQ lunch for free.

Get inside rooms and watch for specials ie last week you could get up to $100 for booking a cabin during that week. That would one of your tips for the week.

I always pre-pay my tips so that I do not worry about them. I just talk to my TA and they get it done. Once you pay the air.hotel and cruise (including tips) you do not have to come up with much more if you do not want to, ust figurte in taxi to and from airport/hotels. Some hotels include breakfast and airport/cruise transportation (just give them $5.00 for bag handling).

Well that sounds a little more promising. The only confusion I have is on Royal when I look at the drink packages it included water, pop and juices. So with the tips off this board I think I have it now....you take a water bottle and fill up at the sink, and fill it up with juice at breakfast for the day - is that right?

I like at least one pop a day. I am hoping to find a shipboard credit deal for some alcohol to keep costs down - how often does that happen?

Thanks for the tip on the wheel chair that will help out quite a bit!

Feeling a little more hopeful...txs

Well that sounds a little more promising. The only confusion I have is on Royal when I look at the drink packages it included water, pop and juices. So with the tips off this board I think I have it now....you take a water bottle and fill up at the sink, and fill it up with juice at breakfast for the day - is that right?

I like at least one pop a day. I am hoping to find a shipboard credit deal for some alcohol to keep costs down - how often does that happen?

You do not need a drink package - take your water bottles and fill them up in the Windjammer with juice in the morning, and iced tea, lemonade or ice water which are all just laid out there for you all day. Sodas may be purchased individually for about $2.29 per can or you can bring a "reasonable" amount with you.

One thing no one has mentioned - if you have a wheelchair, you need to get a handicapped cabin. These cabins are the same price as comparable non-handicapped cabins but much larger in size to allow for the wheelchair getting in and out through the doorway and allowing the wheelchair to be stored in the cabin.

Good news for me! I was able to find a local agency that will rent a wheelchair for $50 dollars for 2 weeks! There is one what would be $60 for two weeks if it is a better match!

And yes I called Royal initially to try and figure out where I can store it on board. They informed me of the accessible rooms. I saw online the form I would have to fill out for one.

So things are moving along well now....

One thing no one has mentioned - if you have a wheelchair, you need to get a handicapped cabin. These cabins are the same price as comparable non-handicapped cabins but much larger in size to allow for the wheelchair getting in and out through the doorway and allowing the wheelchair to be stored in the cabin.

Not unless you can't walk. Wheelchairs fold

Not unless you can't walk. Many need them because they can't walk long distances.

Wheelchairs fold

Not unless you can't walk. Many need them because they can't walk long distances.

Wheelchairs fold

True, but with OP's condition, she might also have difficulties with balance and will need the handrails and seat in the shower and handrails near the toilet as well. I was thinking scooter with respect to storage.

We surprised my sister with a 'bucket list' cruise. We needed a wheelchair and I contacted the local Red Cross who directed me to a local church. They had tons of special needs products to loan out...free of charge with no time limit! Anything and everything was available from them. I asked about giving them a $ donation/thank you. They replied, 'No, we rather you just bring the stuff back in good condition and donate any special needs products when you no longer need what you have.' God bless them. Good luck & happy cruising.

The only time I have ever had to use a wheelchair was when we went to Disney. No way could I walk around the parks.

If I am having a bath a handrail would be great, but not needed for showering.

As I have never been on a cruise before I am not sure how my balance will be and how my body will respond to the walking and excursions. This is why I would take a wheelchair - in case of a flare up.

If the wheelchair could be stored near our cabin I could take a regular one. I wouldn't need the wheelchair in the room (at least I hope not).

Archived