Taking a DSLR Cruising

Hazmat9

I'm off on my first cruise to Alaska via Celebrity's Infinity this coming May. Within the last year I have gotten into photography pretty heavily. I was wondering if it is advisable to take a digital single-lens reflex (dslr) camera with me or resort to a point and shoot camera? Just looking at the weight, where to pack the camera/lenses, and some shore excursions (i.e. sea planes) prohibit backpacks or bags on the plane, and lastly the bulkiness of carrying it around everywhere. BTW, I have a Canon 50D. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Oh wow. "Within the last year I have gotten into photography pretty heavily." I would definitely take it to of all places Alaska. Wonderful opportunities for photos. For a budding photographer the 50D gives you much more control and ability to be creative than most point and shoots.

Yes, a DSLR is heavier - Do carry it with your carry-on luggage. It is bulky but, again think of the photos. So if you are going up in an airplane, just take one lens. Not a problem. I would say don't bother with a telephoto in the plane. A lens in the 35 to 100 mm range would be fine.

Enjoy your cruise.

Larry

Oh, take your point and shoot also.:)

Great advice, thinking of doing the kayaking and the p/s would be ideal here...wouldn't have much room for the dslr (and don't want to have it end up in the sea). I would be interested in doing some b/w while touring Misty Fjord, the dslr would be ideal here.

It all depends on what kind of pictures you want. A superzoom is pretty versatile in a lot of conditions.

The DSLR gives you more flexibility on the superwide side as well as the long side. Where the DSLR will shine is quick focus and fast frame rate of action.

No worries about taking cameras on airplanes or helicopters, just hang around your neck. I took two DSLRs on helicopter with no issues.

Its a seperate question as to whether you can deal with the weight and bulk.

Happy shooting

I'm off on my first cruise to Alaska via Celebrity's Infinity this coming May. Within the last year I have gotten into photography pretty heavily. I was wondering if it is advisable to take a digital single-lens reflex (dslr) camera with me or resort to a point and shoot camera? Just looking at the weight, where to pack the camera/lenses, and some shore excursions (i.e. sea planes) prohibit backpacks or bags on the plane, and lastly the bulkiness of carrying it around everywhere. BTW, I have a Canon 50D. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

It all depends on what kind of pictures you want. A superzoom is pretty versatile in a lot of conditions.

The DSLR gives you more flexibility on the superwide side as well as the long side. Where the DSLR will shine is quick focus and fast frame rate of action.

No worries about taking cameras on airplanes or helicopters, just hang around your neck. I took two DSLRs on helicopter with no issues.

Its a seperate question as to whether you can deal with the weight and bulk.

Happy shooting

That sounds good although we may take the Glacier Helicopter Trek which you're dealing with crampons and walking poles....may not be that easy but if we decide to do the sea plane, then definitely the dslr!

I even bought a new lens for our upcoming cruise. :D The P&S will be in my bag for quick snapshots or when I don't want to bring out the DSLR. We're both into photography, so the pics were a huge reason why we decided on Alaska this spring.

I'm even considering renting an ultrawide lens for those scenic vistas.

Great advice, thinking of doing the kayaking and the p/s would be ideal here...wouldn't have much room for the dslr (and don't want to have it end up in the sea). I would be interested in doing some b/w while touring Misty Fjord, the dslr would be ideal here.

You can shoot b&w with a p&s if you have to. Most p&s cameras have a b&w option on the special photo menu.

Also, you can convert color to b&w after the fact with most editing programs. If you think that there is a good probability that you will want to post-process to b&w and if your camera can shoot in raw. do so. You will have far more options converting raw files to b&w than jpeg files.

DON

I have converted p/s pics to b/w using a couple of post processing programs and yes I do shoot my dslr in raw which is ideal since my "beginner" pics need a fair amount of post work. My wife has an older Samsung p/s that I bought many years ago. I've replaced the batteries and charger numerous times but the batteries still go fast. Any suggestions for a p/s that won't break the bank.....I'm already breaking it with my dslr, thanks!

I have converted p/s pics to b/w using a couple of post processing programs and yes I do shoot my dslr in raw which is ideal since my "beginner" pics need a fair amount of post work. My wife has an older Samsung p/s that I bought many years ago. I've replaced the batteries and charger numerous times but the batteries still go fast. Any suggestions for a p/s that won't break the bank.....I'm already breaking it with my dslr, thanks!

On type of P&S camera you might want to consider is a waterproof one if you are going to take it kayaking or go into any wet environments. Canon, Fuji, and Olympus make some nice models. I have a Canon and a friend has an Olympus. Canon is nice, little more bulky than my friends Olympus. Prices range from $100 to $300. Guess it somewhat depends on your definition of breaking the bank. I am with you on breaking the bank with the dSLR. I think I spent more on my dSLR and lenses than I did on all my other previous cameras.....

If you will be doing wildlife photography take the longest telephoto you can afford. Some animals will be at great distance and this is where the SLR will shine, especially if trying to catch quick action like a whale breaching or an eagle taking off from it's perch.

If you will be doing wildlife photography take the longest telephoto you can afford. Some animals will be at great distance and this is where the SLR will shine, especially if trying to catch quick action like a whale breaching or an eagle taking off from it's perch.

And if you can't afford the lens that you would like to take, you can rent one. Cost will be a lot less than if you went out and bought one. I did that once on a winter Yellowstone photo trip. It was worth every cent I paid.

DON

I've got a 50D too, and on our cruises the 17-40mm lens and a 70-200 f4 are always along, along with our Canon G11. I've rented 100-400 and a 400 for AK cruises and have been happy I did...gotten some great shots without the whole expense of owning them!

Actually, for AK...the wide angle lenses are the most used. Tele is only needed IF/WHEN you see wildlife...and then nothing is long enough! ;-)

I frequently will use the P/S when we're in "iffy" places...I get great photos with it...just no depth of field that I can play with with my DSLR as nicely.

Enjoy your cruise...May is our favorite time to be there...LOTS of snow!

I'll probably take a wide angle along with a telephoto. I have the Lowepro 200 or 300 backpack which is nice for carrying camera and lenses but you sure can't put much else in it. I plan on carrying this on the plane and having to rely on my wife to carry the bulk in her carry-on.

I took my olympus e-620 with my two kit lenses: 14-42mm & 40-150mm. I took the 40-150mm on all shore excursions, and wished I had more zoom. If you get up to Denali for the wilderness tour, you'll definitely want something with more zoom. Because the wildlife was really far away, and they seldom let us leave the bus. On our next Alaska cruise, I'm packing my 70-300mm, and maybe one of those teleconverters. Not sure about that one yet, since I don't care to change lenses in the field.

Archived