Minimalist traveling with carry-on ? who's done it

htkodiak

We are thinking about traveling with just carry ons for our upcoming cruise on the Liberty.Has anyone tried this before and how did it work out ?We have been on more than a few cruises and never really overpacked, but this will be something new for us.

Mom and I both just carried on to the Inspiration 4 day last week..her bag was smaller than mine because she lives in Fla, and I flew down from Mass and had to pack for 3 extra days besides...

It was easy, and I STILL overpacked..so much so that I'm thinkin that I could probably pack the same clothes again and do just fine on a 7 day..without doing laundry...I had two shirts and a pair of shorts I never even wore, as well as a pair of capris.

Downy wrinkle release and Febreze odor remover is a wonderful thing!!

A lot of folks do... Eschew the MDR and enjoy the buffet and other foods on the Lido Deck and simply chill for the entire voyage! Run out of clothes? Use the public laundry!

I packed that way once and regretted it a bit. I got invited to dine with the Captain and had to turn down the invitation... nothing to wear!

:o

packin a hairdryer for the Inspiration was a pain, and getting by with only a pair of sandals and reef shoes, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be...but with two days at sea, a day in Cozumel..how hard can it be? I wasn't as 'formal' for 'formal night' as I have been in the past, but was still as well dressed as the next guy..

and a roll of quarters goes a LONG way!

Clean clothes won't be a problem we have that special Platinum perk of free laundry.That is what's making us lean towards this for this cruise.And we have driven down for the past few years and will be flying this time.

Clean clothes won't be a problem we have that special Platinum perk of free laundry.That is what's making us lean towards this for this cruise.And we have driven down for the past few years and will be flying this time.

then it should be a piece of cake!! Just keep your formal nights 'simple'...and color co ordinate everything!

I'm going to attempt doing this in May going to Alaska.. Planning on carrying on my heavy coat as my "personal item". Hopefully it will work as I'm going to skip the formal nights. If your cruise is before mine you can let me know how it worked for you lol!

Our first cruise we had 5 suitcases :eek:...granted we were getting married, but still! We just did 3 days in Orlando and 7 days on the Dream and I did it all with my carry-on. I didnt scrimp, I just packed carefully. I still had 2 cocktail dresses, 3 pairs of shoes, make-up, hair products, straightener, etc. We did one load of laundry part way through the week. It was wonderful NOT lugging a bunch of suitcases.

We have done this for our past few cruises, and it makes life much easier for us! We still come home with some clothes that we didn't wear... and only once have sent in the laundry bag, but that was more because DD accidently spilled stuff on her outfit and we didn't want to chance it staining....

Since we fly down it is not only a cost saver, but much easier to not have to traipse down to baggage claim to wait for ours to come through the conveyor belt... We deplane and go! It also makes it easier to disembark since we can do self debark.

You just have to plan a little more at the beginning, wear tonal clothes that are easy to mx and match, we don't do very formal wear, but still look nice enough that we don't have to give up the MDR if we don't want.

For us it is worth the extra planning effort!

Thanks for all the great input.Also to pattyfresh we will be traveling in Oct 2011 on the Liberty.I lived on Kodiak,AK and have traveled thru alot of the places the cruise ships go,you will love Alaska.The first time you see a bald eagle it takes your breath away.

I have taken 2 7 day, one 10 day cruise and three 5 day cruises and only had one carry on. Three of those cruises I took my teenage daughters and a full body wetsuit. If you are going somewhere warm there is no reason it cannot be done. The shoes are what took up most of the space! Two 20" and one 22" on our upcoming cruise on the Splendor for the 3 of us and we each have a backpack.

I'm going to attempt doing this in May going to Alaska.. Planning on carrying on my heavy coat as my "personal item". Hopefully it will work as I'm going to skip the formal nights. If your cruise is before mine you can let me know how it worked for you lol!

I don't think you will have to count your coat as a personal item. Just wear it as you board the plain. Those of us in cold areas always wear a coat and still bring a purse/bag and a carryon.

Thanks for all the great input.Also to pattyfresh we will be traveling in Oct 2011 on the Liberty.I lived on Kodiak,AK and have traveled thru alot of the places the cruise ships go,you will love Alaska.The first time you see a bald eagle it takes your breath away.

I'm so excited to go!! This has been the longest 7 months of my life!

If it doesn't fit into the unexpanded 22" suitcase it doesn't get packed. Our passports and such get carried in our totes/backpacks.

The key to packing lightly is mix and match. Start thinking from the ground (shoes) up. Limit the amount of shoes. All tops go with all bottoms. For CE nights I bring one pair of black pants and a reversible tank/jacket combo.

DH brings 7 button-down shirts, 2 pair of dockers and one pair of shoes.

Archived