Is Mexico safe right now?

booboo0530

I think these ports are ok.....we go down to Cabo every year at Christmas and we don't have any problems, but be smart, don't stray away from touist areas off alone, on back roads....you know the drill.

Mexico is big, it's the northern part near the Texas Boarder and on the northeast side primarily.

I check the US tourist alerts at this site to know if my travel plans are good and to get ideas about where and what to do....you'll be fine! Cozumel is wonderful - go see the sting rays excursions it's amazing!

http://travel.state.gov/travel/cis_pa_tw/tw/tw_1764.html

I am embarking on a 6 night cruise to Cozumel and Costa Maya Mexico along with Belize City, Belize. I was just wondering if anyone has been to Mexico in the past couple weeks, and if it was safe or what?

The murder rate is about on par with Florida

We were in Cozumel in January and never had a concern. The problems seem to be on the Pacific side of the country. However we did a MEXRIV cruise in December and never were concerned there either, however the cruiselines are going to error on the side of caution every time.

Our rule is "if the cruise line is still going there it's safe enough for us".

The cruise lines have too much at stake to risk sending a ship into a dangerous port. As soon as there is obvious danger they change or skip ports immediately.

That said, always use caution whenever you are traveling in an unfamiliar area ( even if that is a new area in the US).

Is the US safe?

Is Canada safe?

See where I'm going here?

Cruise ships take passenger safety very seriously and will not call on any port that they believe poses a significant threat.

The problems in Mexico are hundreds and hundreds of miles away from Cozumel, which is in fact an island.

We were in the Mayan Riviera last year and never felt threatened. It is just a safe as you make it, be smart don't flash money in public ......etc. We were there for two weeks and travelled all up and down the coast and had a great time. As others have said the problems are generally on the US/Mexico border.

Is the US safe?

Is Canada safe?

See where I'm going here?

The problems in Mexico are hundreds and hundreds of miles away from Cozumel, which is in fact an island.

I see what you are saying, but how we act in our day-to-day lives is usually different than our states of mind on vacation. Most people practice good security in their lives, but tend to let their guards down while vacationing, especially when alcohol becomes involved. I think asking about whether Mexican ports are safe or not is a good question.

By the way, Cancun and Isla Mujeres have become home turf to the Cuban American Mafia and the Los Zetas - both of which are very violent drug and human traffickers. That's only a few miles from Cozumel.

To the Op, Cozumel and Costa Maya are very safe. You really don't have anything to worry about as long as you practice good personal security. Don't wander off the beaten path. There are some questionable areas of San Miguel, but there's no reason you should find yourself in those neighborhoods.

I sure hope so, we will be doing and all-inclusive on 3-26-11. We will be in the Puerto Vallarta area, not sure of the hotel as it is a guaranteed 6 Apple hotel. We will only leave the compound during the day and only have a couple of drinks. I am not worried for myself but my GF gets nervous.

Well.....don't go too far, there are areas of Mexico that aren't safe and that is where the murders are ocurring...the boarder towns near Texas, north central towns.

These are cartel controled areas where the police have lost control, for the time being......don't go to these places and follow the US travel advisory.

So far....Mexico has a travel advisory, but it's limited in nature and you are advised to follow normal travel precautions in these places (PV, Mazatlan, Cozumel, Cabo.....)ie: flashing money around.....you know the drill.....

Like I said earlier, we go to Cabo every year, but we are a bit more careful now....no rental car exploring into off road areas or deeper into Mexico with our credit cards.....

BUT do visit Mexico, be smart to be safe, don't go to known problem areas. They are wonderful people and the loss of tourist really hurts these port towns!

By the way, Cancun and Isla Mujeres have become home turf to the Cuban American Mafia and the Los Zetas - both of which are very violent drug and human traffickers. That's only a few miles from Cozumel.

My 22 year old DD just returned from a week in Cancun with a girlfriend and there was no trouble there at all. Crazy busy with Spring break, but that's why she went. :)

The Zetas are particularly dangerous, operating all over Mexico and in the USA. There was a shootout two years ago in downtown Phoenix. Zetas with FBI/Phoenix PD jackets on shooting it out with La Eme (Mexican Mafia) at the corner of 7th St and McDowell in front of Mickey D's. The following night, two execution style slayings in West Phoenix and a shootout with MS 13 members.

My best friend lives just South of Rosarito and has for many years. It has gotten so bad in the beach areas in Baja she is seriously thinking about moving back to Fresno.

The Eastern side of Mexico is OK. I wouldn't go on a cruise on the Western side of Mexico at this time if it was free. I'll take my chances with my business travel to Iraq and Afghanistan waaaay before I go to the Pacific side of Mexico.

The Zetas are particularly dangerous, operating all over Mexico and in the USA. There was a shootout two years ago in downtown Phoenix. Zetas with FBI/Phoenix PD jackets on shooting it out with La Eme (Mexican Mafia) at the corner of 7th St and McDowell in front of Mickey D's. The following night, two execution style slayings in West Phoenix and a shootout with MS 13 members.

My best friend lives just South of Rosarito and has for many years. It has gotten so bad in the beach areas in Baja she is seriously thinking about moving back to Fresno.

The Eastern side of Mexico is OK. I wouldn't go on a cruise on the Western side of Mexico at this time if it was free. I'll take my chances with my business travel to Iraq and Afghanistan waaaay before I go to the Pacific side of Mexico.

Strong words, and I believe you. I also will not go by road into Mexico on the East, due to several incidents recently involving murders of Americans who should have known their way around better than I.

It is getting very very dangerous along the Western part of mainland Mexico as well as in Baja. The shrimp that normally comes up this time of year from Guaymas and Hermosillo for USA distribution is only getting through partially (a lot of it getting hijacked because the owners refuse to pay mordida). Fruits and vegetables that normally come up every day are getting held up at the border for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is gun smuggling back and forth from Arizona into Mexico and drug gang members driving trucks across the US border (thank you Congress for allowing the Mexican trucks across the border). Marijuana seizures are up considerably at the Nogales crossing (which doesn't mean Customs is getting better, it means the drug gangs are shipping more product). And of course you had a Border Patrol agent killed not too far outside Nogales AZ in the USA which has made everyone very jumpy.

I am getting so sick of this. Every single day our company gets new alerts from a variety of "official" offices about our food products moving across the border. Don't do this, don't do that, don't go here, don't go there. And NOW we have to fill out a bio terrorism sheet for every shipment over 2000 pounds. It was bad enough when we picked up import food from overseas for distribution and had to fill out the bio terrorism stuff. Now we have to do it for EVERY food shipment. Since when did it become US trucking companies responsibility to watch shipments for bio hazards that originate in the USA??? I wonder if the cruise lines have the same responsibility. Probably not.

My personal thought-if it is not safe in some of these areas for my rough and tumble truck drivers, why would anyone think it is safe for a bunch of cruise tourists???

My personal thought-if it is not safe in some of these areas for my rough and tumble truck drivers, why would anyone think it is safe for a bunch of cruise tourists???

Because they live in what it is called condition white. Since nothing has happened yet to those visiting on board cruise lines, then it must be a media hype and everything will be fine.

Then they claim that people get killed in the US all the time. I am sorry but shooting 2-12 year olds, double tap at close range, is not collateral damage and rather uncommon here in the US.

We just came off the Freedom of the Seas just a little over six weeks ago. We stopped in Cozemel. We had no problems of any type.:)

I think it goes without saying though, that no matter where you travel you have to some common sense. You cannot set yourself up to be a victim:(

We just came off the Freedom of the Seas just a little over six weeks ago. We stopped in Cozemel. We had no problems of any type.:)

I think it goes without saying though, that no matter where you travel you have to some common sense. You cannot set yourself up to be a victim:(

Cozumel is away from the "danger zones". There are many cruises that go up the west side of Mexico, particularly out of LA. Those are the "danger" cruises, IMHO. You just never know when the gunfire will start.

Those out of Florida visiting the Eastern coast of Mexico are for the most part safe.

Archived