2012 Free Hotel?

TERRIER1

Depending on the port, taxis are cheaper than O's transfers????

I have NEVER seen a port where O was cheaper than a taxi. Never.

Using an O transfer may be a good idea where you are a long drive away (say, Cittavecchia to Rome) -- if only for convenience sake. But even so, I can't imagine using a transfer. Especially when you figure that the cost for a transfer is usually times two.

All I know is that we never have ...

Please Lyn, do you know something I don't? (It wouldn't be the first time!)

The value of the "free hotel and transfer" may vary depending on the embarkation port.

We just booked 7/24/12 British Isles Legends - London to Paris. The hotel we were given is the Royal Garden Hotel in Kensington. I just priced their cheapest room for a Monday in July 2011 - $423 U.S. It looks to be a 5 star hotel and pretty nice. Of course, we could probably find a comparable hotel for a bit less but if you add in the value of the transfer from London to Dover [much farther and more costly than, say, Barcelona] and the convenience of having your bags taken from the hotel and showing up on the ship, it may not be a bad deal for $500.

I agree with this sentiment. We booked the Continental Connoisseur departure on September 12 from London (Dover) and waived the air and took the free hotel. The transfers are still included (airport to hotel, hotel to ship) and the hotel (Washington Mayfair) has rack rates around $400-$500, according to their website. Yes, we could get something cheaper, I'm sure, but we only want to spend one night in London (been there many times). It appears that you can waive the air and still use the hotel (at least our booking worked out that way).

The transfers are still included (airport to hotel, hotel to ship) and the hotel (Washington Mayfair) has rack rates around $400-$500, according to their website. Yes, we could get something cheaper, I'm sure, but we only want to spend one night in London (been there many times). It appears that you can waive the air and still use the hotel (at least our booking worked out that way).

I would make sure you do get the transfer without the air

You do not want any surprises ;)

Lyn

Depending on the port, taxis are cheaper than O's transfers????

I have NEVER seen a port where O was cheaper than a taxi. Never.

Please Lyn, do you know something I don't? (It wouldn't be the first time!)

You are correct Mura :)

I guess I was thinking of the convenience factor but if you find a private transfer that will still be cheaper

It is all about your personal comfort level

some people just prefer to have the cruise line look after them at any cost

I agree with this sentiment. We booked the Continental Connoisseur departure on September 12 from London (Dover) and waived the air and took the free hotel. The transfers are still included (airport to hotel, hotel to ship) and the hotel (Washington Mayfair) has rack rates around $400-$500, according to their website. Yes, we could get something cheaper, I'm sure, but we only want to spend one night in London (been there many times). It appears that you can waive the air and still use the hotel (at least our booking worked out that way).

Are you sure the airport to hotel is included with the "free hotel?" My impression was just hotel to ship.

Hi!

We are also on your Sept. 12th 2012 cruise and staying at the Washington Mayfair. We enjoyed meeting both of you on the cruise this past Oct. Our TA led us to believe that the only transfer that was included was from the hotel to the ship. Where did you get the info that the airport t hotel transfer was included?

We also have three other Oceania cruises booked prior to the Sept. 2012 cruise. How about you?

Rhea

Hi!

We are also on your Sept. 12th 2012 cruise and staying at the Washington Mayfair. We enjoyed meeting both of you on the cruise this past Oct. Our TA led us to believe that the only transfer that was included was from the hotel to the ship. Where did you get the info that the airport t hotel transfer was included?

We also have three other Oceania cruises booked prior to the Sept. 2012 cruise. How about you?

Rhea

Hi Rhea,

How are you?

I think you mixed up my post above with Ruby Sue's. We are not on the Sept. 2012 cruise.

David

Hi David!

Sorry we won't be seeing you on that cruise! I did read the wrong info. Which Oceania cruises do you have booked?

We're on a cruise in July, one in Sept. 2011, one in Jan. 2012 and then one in Sept. 2012.

Rhea

Sorry I'm not part of the "in crowd" rheasue38 and that you are disappointed that I'm not David. We're nice people too, in case you might actually want to meet us on the cruise next year. :)

Yes, I confess now that I was stupid about the transfers - mea culpa, we're on our own from the airport to the hotel on our cruise. Oceania is a little misleading in their terminology.

Unlike most of you on this board, I don't have (and don't trust) a travel agent - too many bad experiences and very few reputable ones in our geographic area. So we do all of own bookings (and most of the time that works ok). We're figure it out - we have done a lot of traveling and survived.

Like Mighty Quinn we are booked on the Riviera Classic "maiden" crossing next November, embarks Barcelona, we declined the included hotel--Gran Marina. We love the Gran Marina--stayed there three months ago on for the precruise prior to the November crossing on Regent's Voyager. Location is exceptional (one block from Las Ramblas, few blocks from the sandy beach in Barcelona and less than 5 min from the pier where Riviera will dock). However, we declined this included hotel & transfer. Go to the Gran Marina website and do a dummy booking for this November (next November is not open yet) and the price for a deluxe room, choc stawberries along with a bottle of Cava and included breakfast (cost 24 Euro ($34) separately) is 266 Eur ($365). Transfer with tip to the pier cost us 11 Euro ($15) last November. Thus, booking independently (if you like the Gran Marina) costs $365 plus $15 transfer or $380. Taking the hotel with Oceania will cost another $66 if you want breakfast. However, if the Gran Marina is not your cup of tea, like many posters described on this thread, there are many other nice Barcelona hotels at less cost than the Gran Marina.

ps..on My Booking, it states our included hotel is "Hotel 1898" vs Gran Marina...will still book the GM independently.

Sorry I'm not part of the "in crowd" rheasue38 and that you are disappointed that I'm not David. We're nice people too, in case you might actually want to meet us on the cruise next year. :)

Yes, I confess now that I was stupid about the transfers - mea culpa, we're on our own from the airport to the hotel on our cruise. Oceania is a little misleading in their terminology.

Unlike most of you on this board, I don't have (and don't trust) a travel agent - too many bad experiences and very few reputable ones in our geographic area. So we do all of own bookings (and most of the time that works ok). We're figure it out - we have done a lot of traveling and survived.

Glad you survive but you do miss out on many discounts and perks. I am not a TA but have a very good honest hard-working on and I am sure there are many others.:)

Hi!

RubySue, we definitely would like to meet you on the Sept. 12, 2012 cruise. You are definitely avid cruisers as are we. We have done 49 cruises on various lines and have 4 more Oceania cruises booked in the future. Oceania is our favorite line! Which is yours?

Rhea

Glad you survive but you do miss out on many discounts and perks. I am not a TA but have a very good honest hard-working on and I am sure there are many others.:)

Our TRavel agent included prepaid grats on our TA November/2012, we also took the air as oneway to Rome and oneway back from Rio were more when bought by us than the air credit we would have gotten from Oceania .....and we do have transfers from airport to hotel , hotel to Citivecchia, and ship to Rio airport....usually source that on our own , just went with the flow this time :)

Our TRavel agent included prepaid grats on our TA November/2012, we also took the air as oneway to Rome and oneway back from Rio were more when bought by us than the air credit we would have gotten from Oceania .....and we do have transfers from airport to hotel , hotel to Citivecchia, and ship to Rio airport....usually source that on our own , just went with the flow this time :)

We also received prepaid gratuities from our TA - a huge savings. Like you, we decided to go with the flow. It's much less hassle. The hotel provided looks amazing - Parco de Principi. I wonder if it is the same hotel for each category. Perhaps we will see you there:)

We book our own air and will take the Oceania credit. On the April 14, 2012 Riviera,(we are PH) our TA notified us that we are booked into the NN1898 (that's the name of the hotel) in Barcelona. Oceania automatically added transfers from the airport to the hotel at the cost of $69.00 per person!! The transfer from the hotel to the ship is complimentary.

According to a letter from Oceania's Snr VP Sales, Michael Hirsch, guests who do not choose to take the hotel stay will receive a $250 credit up to $500 per stateroom, regardless of the category in which they've booked. Singles will receive a $500 credit.

We've been to Barcelona about 7 or 8 times and chose a hotel near the airport that provides transfers to the port free of charge. :);)

Hi!

Rhea

Hi Rhea,

We just booked the Continental Conneisseur for Sept. 12, 2012 and I noticed that there is already a Roll Call started for it! So we will be on the Northern Knights with you this July and then again next year.

Why not join the Roll Call :)?

Billie

Hi!

Just arrived in San Juan, Puerto Rico for a week's vacation. We've been coming here for the last 16 years and love the lovely, warm, weather.

It will be great meeting you on both cruises, Billie. Which hotel are you staying at in Sept. 2012? We're at the Washington Mayfair.

I will join the roll call. Thanks for letting me know.

Rhea

[. The hotel provided looks amazing - Parco de Principi. I wonder if it is the same hotel for each category. Perhaps we will see you there:)

Parco de Principi is one of the most magnificent and elegant hotels in the entire world!!! We stayed there in 1998 when we were first in Italy. It is across from the Villa Borghese and you can walk to the Via Veneto and Spanish Steps from. It is more than a 5 star hotel. Enjoy it....Arlene;)

[. The hotel provided looks amazing - Parco de Principi. I wonder if it is the same hotel for each category. Perhaps we will see you there:)

Parco de Principi is one of the most magnificent and elegant hotels in the entire world!!! We stayed there in 1998 when we were first in Italy. It is across from the Villa Borghese and you can walk to the Via Veneto and Spanish Steps from. It is more than a 5 star hotel. Enjoy it....Arlene;)

Thanks Arlene for the information and recommendation. Now, I'm really excited about this hotel!!

We never do O's air but book our own air and take the credit. Regardless, for the Maiden (we're in a PH), we've been assigned the NN1898 (the name of the hotel in Barcelona). I checked on Google and the hotel is on Las Ramblas. This offer comes with transfers to the hotel from the airport ($69pp) and free transport to the pier. This free hotel offer is good for any category of cabin booked and expires August 31, per my information.

Having been in Barcelona about 10 times, we don't think we will take it and we will book the hotel we usually stay at. It's near the airport, provides free pickup to the hotel, free breakfast and free shuttle to the pier. Our credit would be $500 for the both of us. :cool:

We also received prepaid gratuities from our great TA and like you, will probably go with the flow. We priced air from Rio to Orlando and it's over $2,000. Have never used cruiseline air before but this time, it looks like we will. Plus the transfer to Citivecchia is not cheap unless you hire a bus for lots of people like we did two years ago so Oceania's transfer looks good.:)

When my TA checked into 2012's November transatlantic crossing on Marina, we discovered that Oceania is using different hotels in Rome depending on category booked on the ship.

The three hotels are:

1. Albani Roma

2. Parco Dei Principe

3. Westin Excelsior

Doesn't matter to me too much which I am in since I will likely be arriving in Rome jet lagged after red eye flights out of Canada, Not sure how much of Rome I will get to experience since the ship embarks the next day.

Archived