My Time Dining and Tipping

I have signed up for MTD. Which includes tips for waiters and room stewards.

My question is. Do these employees know Im on MTD?

I dont want my room steward to think Im stiffing him or her their tip.

On the last day of the cruise you will receive vouchers for your pre-paid tips. You put these in envelopes, adding any additional tips you might like, and give them to your waiters and room steward. Also, if you don't happen to distribute the vouchers, the waiters and room stewards will still get your pre-paid tips. The envelopes are there if you want to be traditional.

I have signed up for MTD. Which includes tips for waiters and room stewards.

My question is. Do these employees know Im on MTD?

I dont want my room steward to think Im stiffing him or her their tip.

Cabin Attendants will get a list of those that have done pre-paid gratuities. The gratuities are shared by the those that serve you when you do MTD.

If the attendants (or MTD servers) know that the tips are prepaid, does that mean that don't have to work as hard? I always tip at the end of the cruise for excellent service. I am on the fence about pre-tipping.

Any thoughts?

If the attendants (or MTD servers) know that the tips are prepaid, does that mean that don't have to work as hard? I always tip at the end of the cruise for excellent service. I am on the fence about pre-tipping.

Any thoughts?

We havent prepaid tips, we will leave them in cash at the end

Any thoughts?

You might think so, but that doesn't seem to have effected the service we have received and there is always the possibility that their passengers will add cash to the vouchers if the service is exceptional. Most of the cruise ship crews seem to take unusual pride in the quality of service that they provide so there is more than just a financial reward involved.

If, in a rare instance, you receive subpar service you have the recourse of mentioning the individuals by name in your guest satisfaction survey. It seems that the line takes those comments seriously and no crew member wants to get negative reviews.:)

Any thoughts?

In that case you can't do MTD. It's a proviso of MTD that you must prepay the tips. This is how all the wait staff know that they've been tipped and, as mentioned above, the cabin steward will place envelopes and slips on your bed at the end of the cruise showing that you've pre-paid your tips.

So to answer the OP's question, yes they all know :)

Any thoughts?

It's my understanding that they recruit the best wait staff for MTD and so the service is usually particularly good anyway. We've had MTD for our last 3 cruises and the serving staff have all been excellent, so much so that we've tipped extra at the end of the cruise.

In that case you can't do MTD. It's a proviso of MTD that you must prepay the tips. This is how all the wait staff know that they've been tipped and, as mentioned above, the cabin steward will place envelopes and slips on your bed at the end of the cruise showing that you've pre-paid your tips.

So to answer the OP's question, yes they all know :)

We have done MTD since it started, and it has NEVER affected our service. In fact, on Serenade, we had the best service we have ever had, both our stateroom attendant and our waiters - exceptional.

Even on the 3 nighters, we get great service. So prepaying has never been an issue for us. We just use the envelopes to give extra for those we wish too at the end of the cruise.

Archived