Montserrat--how vital to my Barcelona experience?

Our first trip to Barcelona and arriving 3 days before a cruise. We are opting to be picked up at 9am at the airport for a 5 hour tour to Montserrat to arrive back at our hotel at 2. We are 5 and had to get 2 taxis from the airport so we opted to do this instead. This will leave us 2.5 days in Barcelona. Does this make sense? Is it worth doing or do we opt for a 5 hour tour of Barcelona instead? We have 3 teens and thought this would be an easy way to see Montserrat as we did not want to do it on our own.

Should be at Montserrat at 10 to about 1. So if we miss the Black Madonna before 10:30 ( it is closed 10:30 to 12) then we can see it at 12.

What is everyone's thoughts? It seemed like something unusual to do in a relaxed manner. Hotel is not available until 2 anyway.

We spent four days in Barcelona (two pre cruise and two post). We did Monserrat on our own. It is easy and I strongly suggest not paying for a tour.

On our return to Barcelona from our cruise, we (four of us) had a tour planned with Barcelona Day Tours. Armando picked us up at the port at 8:30am with our luggage gave us a great tour of the city and then deposited us at our hotels (two separate hotels). It was a great way to avoid the problem of not being able to check in our hotel. Also, we learned a lot about Barcelona and Gaudi that is not in the guidebooks.

• 1 year later...

Hi there -

Our NCL Spirit cruise ends in Barcelona and we've done Barcelona a couple of times, so was looking at doing the Montserrat Monastery NCL excursion and then would go directly to the airport. Has anyone done this? It's a little more $ but takes the hassle out of luggage and transfer issues (we have a 6 year old with us). It says for people after 4:30 p.m. flights. Our flight is at 4 p.m. Will we still make it? Please advise. Thanks!

Last year we took a ship transfer that took us to Montserrat and then dropped us off at Placa Catalunya. We were at Montserrat before 9am and at our hotel by noon. We still had a full day/evening in Barcelona. We did have 3 days pre-cruise in Barcelona so we were not worried about missing something.

My DW thought that Montserrat was one of the best places we visited on our trip.

Skip Montserrat, that was a beauty to see 25 years ago, now its commercialized.

Go on the HoHo bus both north and south line and enjoy the city. Barcelona is wonderful. Go to Parc Guell and walk through it, Gaudi lived there, his house is still there to see. Go to La Sagrada Familia and breath the atmosphere. Walk on the Ramblas and look around.

if you are a soccer fan, go to Barcelona Stadium, worth it.

Barcelona is a city where yoiu can spend days walking around :)

Have fun and a great cruise!

I agree!!!!

There is so much to do in Barcellona!!!!

Montserrat is special with the views but also like other Monastery's

all over Europe!

Have fun and a great cruise!!!!!!!!!

We are arriving in Barcelona at 6am on a sunday. Any suggestions on an excursion? thanks

If you can answer these questions it will help us to help you

Have you been to Barcelona before?

How long are you here for?

What sort of thing do you like?

What time of year are you here?

No, have never been to Barcelona before. We are docking at 6am on June 30th and departing at 5PM. I would like to be back on the ship by 3:30 the latest. Any suggestions on what we should do? It's a Sunday, and from what I've read, we won't be able to see the insides of the churches. Is this correct. Any help you can give us would really help.

Thanks

No' date=' have never been to Barcelona before. We are docking at 6am on June 30th and departing at 5PM. I would like to be back on the ship by 3:30 the latest. Any suggestions on what we should do? It's a Sunday, and from what I've read, we won't be able to see the insides of the churches. Is this correct. Any help you can give us would really help.

Thanks[/quote']

Have a look at my Barcelona Information pages (link in my signature) under 'What to see'.

This should give you some idea of what is available and what appeals to you.

On a Sunday you will be able to visit Sagrada Familia and the other Gaudi buildings. you can walk along Las Ramblas.

La Boqueria market however will be closed.

If you are interested in any other sites, let me know and can tell you whether it will be open.

Barcelona:

TO HELP GET BEARINGS:

See two maps:)

City

Port

Placa de Catalunya (Plaza/Square)see lower middle yellow

is one hub of the hop on/hop off buses (blue red)(Green transfer)

and is at upper end of La Rambla

barcelona-hop-on-hop-off-tour-north-to-south-route-in-barcelona-49597.jpg

PORT MAP

and transfer buses

from Columbus Monument (1) to Ships

starting at lower end of La Rambla

Barcelona-Port-Map.gif

This has to sadly be your decision since you are talking about two totally different experiences and what fits one, isn't as much for the next.

If it were me and I only had one day, I would probably stay in Barcelona. There is so much to see there and you will have a full day blow by in no time, with only a wish to come back and see more in the future.

We did go to Monsteratt, but we had three days so did it on our second. We did not take a tour and took the train. When you go downstairs in the terminal, there will be english people to help you decide on the right ticket. Personally, it saves you money and doesn't make sense to just do the train since then you are left with a need to get transportion up there. You will have to decide between the sky ride or the Funicular. We did the sky ride which is one stop earlier than the Funicular on the train. If Montseratt is a place that you had always wanted to go, then by all means, live your dream. We loved it there but if I had to make a choice for one day, I would spend it in Barcelona.

Have a wonderful time no matter what you choose.

Cathy

• 1 month later...

Archived