First Cruise in a Long Time -Checklist help

custom300

My wife and I will be departing on the Solstice on April 3. This is our first cruise in over 10 years. We both just turned 50.

I want to make sure everything is lined up and in order so that we can enjoy our experience. I'm looking for the "list" of things that we might forget or not know about. Any help would be appreciated. Here's what we've done so far:

• Cruise purchased - Check
  • Airplane Tickets - Check
  • Online Check In with Celebrity - Check
  • Drink Package - Decided not to do that
  • Specialty Restaurant Reservations - Check
  • Tuxedo Rental - Check
  • Hotel Reservations in Ft Lauterdale - Check

Thanks in advance!

Passports in hand?

Money/credit cards packed in carry-on bags?

Mail stopped?

Trusted neighbor informed?

Luggage tags ordered?

Carry-on liquids TSA-approved?

Meds, jewelry, electronics, other valuables in carry-on luggage?

Husband/wife by your side?

Ready to be pampered?

Time to get the show on the road....:D

My wife and I will be departing on the Solstice on April 3. This is our first cruise in over 10 years. We both just turned 50.

I want to make sure everything is lined up and in order so that we can enjoy our experience. I'm looking for the "list" of things that we might forget or not know about. Any help would be appreciated. Here's what we've done so far:

• Tuxedo Rental - Check

Thanks in advance!

Hi, welcome to Cruise Critic and cruising:) and Solstice is a great

ship:)

Sounds like you have quite a few things already done:D..so it

looks like you are arriving a day early....I always do that too!

Do you have a current Passport? I ALWAYS have that one......

I put my mail on hold with the Post Office. (that is just me). I would

rather pick it up than have a box overstuffed when I get home.

I am sure other folks will chime in with lots of suggestions but I will

say....Hope you both have a FANTASTIC CRUISE:D

Call your credit card companies/bank, if you have an ATM card, and give them a "heads up" on your travel plans. They have been known to cut you off if charges are coming in from unusual places. American Express always tells me I don't need to call because "we expect our clients to travel" but I do anyway.

Tucker in Texas

• Tuxedo Rental - Check

Thanks in advance!

My wife and I are also on the April 3 sailing. Come on over to the roll call for that cruise and you can meet some others:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1332461

Also, be sure to sign up for the connections party:

https://secure.celebritycruises.com/cruisecritic/home.do

Hope to see you on board

My rule of thumb...Take twice the money and half the clothes you think you'll need!

Seriously, have a wonderful cruise. We were on the Solstice in January and loved the ship, the staff and the service. You will not be disappointed.

We just got back from the Caribbean and the best thing I brought was a

Kwik Tek Dry Pak Alligator Wallet that I bought from Amazon dot com for about 8 bucks. We put our money in it we thought we needed in the port, except for about 15 bucks that we put in our pockets, and sea pass cards. I wore this around my neck under my bathing suit while swimming, snorkeling, and scuba diving down to 30 feet. Loved it and did not worry about leaving money/cards on the beach.

Welcome back to cruising! And Cruise Critic! It looks like you have most of the major stuff covered already. Others mentioned a passport; that concerns me too. If you don't have them, you still need other documentation like picture I.D., Birth cert. and such. I'm not totally sure what exactly, but I know my father inlaw still cruises without a passport. If you let CC know if you have passports or not, there are tons of well experienced cruisers here that can help get the right stuff together, just ask. If I've researched correctly, it looks like your going too San Juan, St. Thomas and St. Maarten. That sounds like a great trip. Be sure to see the forts in San Juan before they close. It's cheap and well worth it. Don't know if you got your packing list together, but don't forget motion sickness meds of some sort.:):eek:

Have a great trip!

I'm not a computer geek or anything, I always have an index card with names/addresses and e-mail addresses on it in my wallet. I like to send post cards. Did I read somewhere to stop the newspaper. EXtra memory cards for your camera. Have a great trip.

At the risk of appearing obsessive-compulsive, I will mention that I make photocopies of my passport and credit cards (front & back) to take with me on all trips...just in case.

Also, since I now have a scanner, I scan these documents and save them in my e-mail, for easy retrieval should the need arise.

Basically, the only really necessary items are passport and credit cards (more than one!). I figure that with a credit card, I can buy the little items I may have forgotten.

Basically, the only really necessary items are passport and credit cards (more than one!). I figure that with a credit card, I can buy the little items I may have forgotten.

Also, more than one ATM card if you have two accounts to draw from in case the machine eats one. Husband carries one brand of credit card, I carry a different one.

I have all the important things listed along with phone numbers for credit bureaus, frequent flier numbers, etc. in my "recipes" file under "liver and onions." No way would anyone in our family need that recipe.

Tucker in Texas

We find it useful to keep a check off list of last minute things to be done before leaving the house. Everyone's situation is different, but some examples of things on our list are

lock garage door from inside

set timers for lights

adjust blinds and draperies

turn off washer hoses

power off computers, unplug electric devices

final run of dishwasher and garbage disposal

empty fridge of perishables

take out last minute trash

ice cube in cup in freezer

set thermostat

turn off ringer on house phone

if winter, leave water dripping and cupboard doors open

turn on alarm system

That prevents the situation of being half way to the airport or sitting on the plane and thinking

Did we remember to .......?

What's that one for? Or were you just making sure we were reading the list? :p
:D Good one. Now I wish I had actually thought to include something like that.

Seriously though, it is in case a power outage occurs while we are away.

Putting an ice-cube in a cup in the freezer is a simplistic way to let us know whether the power was off long enough for the frozen foods to thaw out and later re-freeze. Without knowing how long the power was off, I would otherwise play it safe and throw away the frozen food.

But if the ice cube in the cup is still in its original shape, it lets me know the power was not off long enough for the frozen foods to thaw either.

I like to take two magnetic clips for the wall. It holds the daily sheets off the desk. The other clip is for messages or invitations. The yellow marker is also very helpful to find the items you want to do after you've highlighted them.

I take a small power strip, which only costs a couple of bucks, to charge my phone and computer. Usually there's only one outlet.

Another tip is don't buy liquor in St Thomas. Buy it in St. Maarten. Someone told me that on my last cruise roll call. I checked the prices in St. Thomas and saved a ton in St. Maarten. I bought a liquor that locally is $180. On the Ship it was $149. In St. Thomas $145. At Friendlys it was $99.

When the cab dropped me off I started walking down the main shopping street and took the first left alley to the beach. I stopped into a liquor store named Friendlys. Because of what I bought, they threw in three 1/3 ltr bottles of great liquor free. I didn't even have to ask. They were much cheaper than the ship. Free delivery to the ship too. Everything I bought was there. Later I found out that was the same store my fellow cruiser always buys his liquor in. I'll definately stop there next time.

:D Good one. Now I wish I had actually thought to include something like that.

Seriously though, it is in case a power outage occurs while we are away.

Putting an ice-cube in a cup in the freezer is a simplistic way to let us know whether the power was off long enough for the frozen foods to thaw out and later re-freeze. Without knowing how long the power was off, I would otherwise play it safe and throw away the frozen food.

But if the ice cube in the cup is still in its original shape, it lets me know the power was not off long enough for the frozen foods to thaw either.

I have never done it and did not reply to that post earlier but thank

you because I had a gut feeling it had something to do with the power.

Thanks for confirming my feeling:)

...Putting an ice-cube in a cup in the freezer is a simplistic way to let us know whether the power was off long enough for the frozen foods to thaw out and later re-freeze....

...I had a gut feeling it had something to do with the power....

I was sure it had to do with being prepared to quickly pour a cold drink when you got back from your cruise! Oh well...

I will be borrowing that icecube-in-a-cup tip, and will use it yearround. In fact, I have already implemented it. We are subject to frequent and unexpected power outages; and this is an EXCELLENT way to gauge whether spoilage has occurred.

It'll be an invaluable tool during hurricane season....

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

At the risk of appearing obsessive-compulsive, I will mention that I make photocopies of my passport and credit cards (front & back) to take with me on all trips...just in case.

Also, since I now have a scanner, I scan these documents and save them in my e-mail, for easy retrieval should the need arise.

We used to also make copies of front/back of credit cards, until our banker pointed out that a copy of the back provides anyone finding these with your signature and 3-digit "secret code". Now we just copy the front and write the phone # underneath for reporting it lost. We also scan cards and passports to email as a backup.

Archived