Snow Capped Mountains

CaribQween

We're considering our cruise to Alaska for mid-June. We know that is pretty much the start of summer so we were wondering if we would still be able to see a significant amount of snow on the mountains or is it pretty minimal by then?

We're considering our cruise to Alaska for mid-June. We know that is pretty much the start of summer so we were wondering if we would still be able to see a significant amount of snow on the mountains or is it pretty minimal by then?

Nope, will be far more green.

You need to consider May, if you want the "snow" scenery.

And here are a couple from Yakutat Bay and Hubbard Glacier from July last year.

http://gardyloo.us/20100708_135s.JPG

http://gardyloo.us/20100708_162as.JPG

If you're going up to Whittier or Seward you'll be in glacier country, so "snow capped mountains" is pretty much a constant thing.

There's usually snow on some of the Chugach peaks visible from Anchorage into July most years. And if you get up in a small plane pretty much anywhere you'll see plenty of snow.

Couple of things going on here. First is that "significant" is pretty subjective. To me, significant means more than in the high valleys and it wouldn't include glaciers, which will always look snowcovered.

Secondly, it's going to depend on (among other things) amount of snowfall over the winter and temperatures in the spring. DH camps in College Fjord every April/May. Sometimes his campsite is bare of snow in late April, and sometimes it's covered in snow in May. Last year, when the pictures in post #4 were taken, was among the latest he's seen the snow disappear.

Nope, will be far more green.

You need to consider May, if you want the "snow" scenery.

I will be leaving on May 21, I know its towards the end of month, but what about snow on mountains then? Thanks :)

Here in Juneau, we did not have a ton of snow this winter and had a lot of sunny, windy days. I really think the snow's going to be nearly gone by early June. It's about 1/2 gone already.

However, as others said, you're going to see plenty of snow-capped mountains in the distant ranges like the Chilkats. They stay snowy into mid-summer. And every community is different. There are microclimates in Juneau alone, let alone each town over hundreds of miles.

This is from August last year at the end of Turnagain Arm about 30 minutes from Anchorage.

https://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaTravelFun/HopeAlaska#5510309714732601074

I think it’s incredibly beautiful in Alaska during the time you will be here as there is still a bit of snow in the mountains but you also get some good contrast as the hills green up.

This is from August last year at the end of Turnagain Arm about 30 minutes from Anchorage.

https://picasaweb.google.com/AlaskaTravelFun/HopeAlaska#5510309714732601074

love your pics, after seeing them, we have decided to make a detour there now, on the way from Seward to Anchorage, 29th may..can you tell me if the road is sealed(don't want to travel on gravel in our hire car;))

love your pics, after seeing them, we have decided to make a detour there now, on the way from Seward to Anchorage, 29th may..can you tell me if the road is sealed(don't want to travel on gravel in our hire car;))

This was taken along the main 2 lane highway you will be traveling on between Seward and Anchorage. It's one of the most scenic drives in the state. All paved unless they have construction in areas.

I guess we just can't have it all, huh :)? It's just hard to decide between the trade-offs. Thank you to everyone for your input and all of the pictures.

No matter :) You WILL have a wonderful time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There are also several webcams in Alaska where you can see what it looks like right now. Here are several that are in Ketchikan and you can see the snow on the mountains, already now, is minimal! As tee_harbor said, it's been a very mellow winter. Hopefully the summer will be just as good! :-)

We've been to Alaska from mid-May through mid-June and there has always been a good bit of snow on the mountains on all our cruises so far. There won't be snow in the ports though. We went on the Mt. Roberts tram in early June and the hiking trails were still closed because of ice and snow. You can look at the pictures at the link below and see how much snow there was on the mountains, even in 2008 when we were there the 1st 2 weeks of June.

We've been to Alaska from mid-May through mid-June and there has always been a good bit of snow on the mountains on all our cruises so far. There won't be snow in the ports though. We went on the Mt. Roberts tram in early June and the hiking trails were still closed because of ice and snow. You can look at the pictures at the link below and see how much snow there was on the mountains, even in 2008 when we were there the 1st 2 weeks of June.

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures. My husband and I were laughing so hard because when we got to each new picture, we'd both let out a big Ooooh or Aaaahhh!!! If we get anything close to your pictures, we'll be very happy (even though we'll be happy with anything and everything, I'm sure). We really enjoyed your Caribbean pictures too because we'll be doing that same itinerary in less than a month on the Emerald Princess. Your pictures were all just really awesome.

Thank you so much for sharing your pictures. My husband and I were laughing so hard because when we got to each new picture, we'd both let out a big Ooooh or Aaaahhh!!! If we get anything close to your pictures, we'll be very happy (even though we'll be happy with anything and everything, I'm sure). We really enjoyed your Caribbean pictures too because we'll be doing that same itinerary in less than a month on the Emerald Princess. Your pictures were all just really awesome.

Thanks! I still Oooooh and Aaaaahhh over the pictures everytime I look at them. They bring back such wonderful memories. You will discover that the pictures really don't do Alaska justice though. Alaska is so much more than any picture can show. I can hardly wait to go again this May.

I actually enjoy the Caribbean cruise more now than I did when I was on the cruise. I can look at the pictures and just see the beauty without feeling the heat and humidity. :rolleyes:

Thanks! I still Oooooh and Aaaaahhh over the pictures everytime I look at them. They bring back such wonderful memories. You will discover that the pictures really don't do Alaska justice though. Alaska is so much more than any picture can show. I can hardly wait to go again this May.

I actually enjoy the Caribbean cruise more now than I did when I was on the cruise. I can look at the pictures and just see the beauty without feeling the heat and humidity. :rolleyes:

By chance could you tell me what Camera make and model you use? My husband wants to buy a new camera before our Alaska cruise and your pictures were just beautiful.

By chance could you tell me what Camera make and model you use? My husband wants to buy a new camera before our Alaska cruise and your pictures were just beautiful.

The pictures are both mine and my husbands. I used a Canon G9 point and shoot and my husband used a Pentax K10 DSLR. The Alaska 2008 pictures are split about equally, I think. The Caribben pictures were all taken with the G9. My DH has his posted on his own Picasa account.

Here in Juneau, we did not have a ton of snow this winter and had a lot of sunny, windy days. I really think the snow's going to be nearly gone by early June. It's about 1/2 gone already.

However, as others said, you're going to see plenty of snow-capped mountains in the distant ranges like the Chilkats. They stay snowy into mid-summer. And every community is different. There are microclimates in Juneau alone, let alone each town over hundreds of miles.

I'm going to be staying at the alyeska resort in May, aren't these mountains near the town/resort (could be mistaken) what about mountains near the resort? thx

I'm going to be staying at the alyeska resort in May, aren't these mountains near the town/resort (could be mistaken) what about mountains near the resort? thx
Alyeska is a ski resort, so yes, there are definitely mountains around and yes, they will definitely have snow on them, big time.

Here's a working webcam, looking down onto Girdwood and Turnagain Arm from the top of Chair 6 at the resort. http://www.onthesnow.com/alaska/alyeska-resort/webcams.html

There's actually the possibility of skiing on weekends in May, and in June they will run snowboarding/skiing clinics up at Chair 6.

Archived