Air Arrival & Deviation - Europe 2012

MightyQuinn

We booked a 2012 Riviera itinerary WITH air but WITHOUT hotel. Our O invoice shows we'll arrive in the embarkation city on the day of the cruise, not the day prior to departure. I understand that if you accept the hotel, you fly in the day before. Not a big deal, since we’ll do a deviation later on to arrive at least 2 days pre-cruise. But I wonder if same day air arrival is the O default for those who don’t accept the included hotel?

We booked a 2012 Riviera itinerary WITH air but WITHOUT hotel. Our O invoice shows we'll arrive in the embarkation city on the day of the cruise, not the day prior to departure. I understand that if you accept the hotel, you fly in the day before. Not a big deal, since we’ll do a deviation later on to arrive at least 2 days pre-cruise. But I wonder if same day air arrival is the O default for those who don’t accept the included hotel?

Hi Mighty Quinn,

The answer is yes. If you choose not to take the pre-cruise hotel, Oceania does fly you in on the day of embarkation.

Shari

Sharicruz6

If you don't take the hotel, same day arrival would have to be the default, but a lot depends on the connections from your point of origin and the sailing time of the ship.

It does make sense for O to schedule same day arrival as the default for those who decline the hotel. I thought I saw an opportunity to arrive a day pre-cruise and select our own hotel without paying a deviation fee. No such luck!

This means that anyone who takes O air but wants to arrive only 1-nite pre-cruise should probably take a closer look at the included hotel/transfer offer. Otherwise, the deviation fee ($100 pp) will erode the hotel credit.

What if you want to arrive several days before the cruise? Do you still have to pay the deviation? What if you want to stay longer on the disemarkation end? Does the deviation of $100 pp apply to both sides of the equation or does it go to $200 pp if you deviate coming and going? Thanks.

What if you want to arrive several days before the cruise? Do you still have to pay the deviation? What if you want to stay longer on the disemarkation end? Does the deviation of $100 pp apply to both sides of the equation or does it go to $200 pp if you deviate coming and going? Thanks.

One time charge of $100 pp but if the flights you choose cost O more there will be an upcharge Maybe

You only have to pay the $100 deviation per person if you extend on both sides. That is what we are doing this May. We are spending a week before the cruise seeing Greece and a week after the cruise seeing Spain. When we had booked the previous cruise which we changed due to the unrest, we paid the deviation fee but would also have had to pay an extra $200 each for the air deviation due to an increase in the price of the air. We looked at booking our own air and flying from the west coast O gave us a much better deal than if we booked it ourselves. It was well worth the $100 deviation cost.

If you fly using O air package and fly on a different day than the 1st day or last day of the cruise you pay the fee $100. pp

we flew in a day early but came home same day as disembarkation

Another air question if you please. When do you find out out your flights if you take Oceania air with hotel package and do not intend to deviate? My cocnern is that Oceania will put us on flights with connections and it will be too late to get direct flights by the time O let's us know We live in NY so there are usually direct flights to Europe.

Another air question if you please. When do you find out out your flights if you take Oceania air with hotel package and do not intend to deviate? My cocnern is that Oceania will put us on flights with connections and it will be too late to get direct flights by the time O let's us know We live in NY so there are usually direct flights to Europe.

If you don't do the deviation, you may not get your flight info until 45 days before departure. One of the advantages of the deviation is you can choose and confirm your flights up to 9 months prior to sailing.

To me it's worth the $200 deviation fee to get our flights early and not have to be stuck in the middle of a row of narrow, cramped seats on an 8-10 hour flight. We can't affored to upgrade to business or 1st class, but for $200, at least we can get isle or window seats for us both - not to mention the option of spending a few more days in a choice location before, or after, the cruise.

Archived