700 am ship arrival 830 flight at fort lauderdale too close of time

surf324mi

We did the early walk off on the Ruby Feb 27th. Walked off at 7:30 and arrived at the airport at 8:00. You cutting it close but it can be done
Getting to the airport is only half the battle and not what the OP is asking. What time was your flight? What time did you get to the gate? It can easily take an hour to get to the gate once you're at the airport.

We did the early walk off on the Ruby Feb 27th

Walked off at 7:30 and arrived at the airport at 8:00

You cutting it close but it can be done

Getting to the airport at 8am is a start, but OP would still have to checkin, get thru security and find the gate. TSA recommends getting to the airport two hours before the scheduled flight time. In your senario, OP would be there 30 minutes before flight time.

We did the early walk off on the Ruby Feb 27th

Walked off at 7:30 and arrived at the airport at 8:00

You cutting it close but it can be done

DH and I disembarked the Island Princess on Tuesday, February 8 of this year at which time we were the only ship in port. Our flight was at 11:40, so we did not rush to get off the ship and waited until a little after our group was called at @9:00. Taxi ride to airport was quick, and it took just a few minutes for curbside baggage check-in, but going through security was quite an ordeal with slow-moving lines and random passengers going through the scanners.

I think it's safe to say that you will need to allow at least 45 minutes just going through security at FLL, perhaps longer on weekends.

Chris

Once, we booked a flight that left FLL at 9:50am. Spent the whole cruise worrying about it. The morning of - stomach was turning and the stress was high. We did make the flight but would never book that early again. Flight was on a weekday and not a weekend so there was less people, traffic, etc.

Earliest for us would be 11am but would feel more comfortable at Noon. Rather be at the airport still smiling and reading a newspaper than ending with any stress.

Another fly in the ointment: on the Golden in December we were right on schedule waiting in the lounge and waiting and waiting to disembark. The escalator was not working in the port so they could not allow anyone to leave! Sometimes weird things slow disembarkation down. Karen

I wouldn't risk it. We disembarked from the Ruby yesterday at 7:20. We got through customs and the taxi line quickly. Also there happened to be no traffic getting to the airport, and our particular terminal (Air Canada). There was a short line for our check-in, but I noticed that Delta right next to us was very long. I would assume that the American airlines with multiple flights will have much longer line ups.The time stamp on our baggage tags was 8:04.....that still left the long lines for security and getting to the gate etc. Our flight was at 1:30 so time for us was not an issue.

There are just too many variables to risk such an early flight. Also, the taxis moved quickly if there were parties of two. There was a wait for parties with three or more passengers.

you also have to remember that if the flight is sched for 830a departure...they will begin boarding that aircraft at 8am, possibly 750a depending on the airline.... so you'd have to be confident that you would be able to clear all the hoops and bells and security lines, at the port and the airport like greased lightening....

the earliest flights I'd ever look at for departing a cruise is 2p.. and I used to work for a major airline....

You can't go by the time your flight leaves. You have to go by the time you must be at the AP. For an 8:30 flight you have to be there by 7 am & 6:30 would be better. They can deny you boarding if you aren't there 1 hour early.

Armed with this perspective the answer to your question is don't even try it.

No way you will make it.

We are doing r/t out of Barcelona and thought we could make a 10:45 am flight back to the US and was advised that we probably would not make it so we are now looking at a 1:00PM flight.

We were on the Celebrity Solstice in November. Some people who did the self-disembarkation had flights that left at 9:30am. We did not get off the ship until almost 8:30 am. I doubt they made their flight and it was in Ft. Lauderdale.

You have to be kidding.

Burst out laughing....

8:30? Not a chance....I would say best case scenario you could be out of customs by 7:30/7:40, and that's BEST case....even if it's 10 mins to the airport, that still doesn't get you there an hour ahead of time...then there's checking in & security.

I second all the other comments=What happens if the Oasis is there dumping 6000 passengers into that port and airport???

We rented a car, drove up the coast, visited my mom, and left from West Palm Airport around 4 PM-no stress

At 7 AM I had once been the first person off the ship on a Carnival cruise disembarking Ft Lauderdale and went through customs and into the parking lot at 7:15 AM. But-I was first off the ship, and I carried all my own luggage with me. I did not need to go to the airport as I was getting a ride to stay locally for a few days after the trip. I would think I could have gotten into the airport by 7:35 AM. But, in order to make an 8:30 flight I would have needed to check in online the night before as others have said you could lose your seat on the plane if you did not check in online as there would be no time to do it at the airport. It would not be smart to try this since there is no guarantee you could even leave the ship at 7 AM, and the airport TSA line could be slow. On the other hand, the flight could be delayed. This has happened to me too-I was late getting to FLL, and was in line to check in past the boarding time of my fligh so I thought I was going to miss it. I hurried like crazy to the gate only to find that my flight was delayed 2 hours, and be using a different gate-damn! I think that was the moment my hair started going grey!

We leave FLL at 11:15 and i would't stress myself with any flight earlier than that!!!Anything could happen,unless u r the type of people that if u miss your flight,big deal,we'll stay hear until we can get another flight.:eek:

You never know what is going to happen on board the ship. We once had a fellow die the night before disembarking. By the time the police and customs cleared the ship, the first person didn't get off until after 9.

There are many things that could delay the ship at the port. Not to mention the delays at the airport. It sounds like it would be way too stressful for you, and for that reason by itself it wouldn't be a good idea to book a flight that early.

The one time we flew home from Ft. Lauderdale, we waited in line to get through security for well over an hour. That's because there was a Princess ship, a Celebrity ship and a Carnival ship that all docked in Ft. Lauderdale on the same day. Now imagine the volume of passengers, along with the regular travelers who didn't just get off a cruise ship. :eek:

Make things easier on yourself. You'd have just had a great cruise, why ruin the experience with all that worry?

You always hear names being called to go to the Purser's desk on disembarkment day. These passengers have to clear their accounts before they start to let passengers off. All you need is some of these passengers holding up the disembarkment.

My sister has a 10am domestic flight out of FLL on April 23 with 5-6 ships include the Allure which holds 5,000 in port that day. She is going to do checkin and print the boarding pass the day before, self disembarkment and taxi to the airport. I am worried she might not make.

Archived