Passport, Birth Certificate or both?

larkie25

Was reading my cruise documents and it says to bring a passport for sailings from US to Mexico. Then it goes on to say you can bring a birth certificate and drivers liscence.

If we just bring our passports we don't have to bring our birth certificates too right? Passports are sufficient?

Traveling in 3 days and can't wait!

Yes, passports are sufficient, don't take your birth certificate; a passport trumps everything else. I also suggest that you take your driver's license to use as a photo ID as it is needed at some ports to get back onto the pier. (I don't take my passport off the ship.)

I would advise to bring passport and a copy, after checking in lock it in the safe, take the copy with you on port days (just in case...) and a driver license for ID to get back on the ship.

You will need passport only to get on the ship, and at the end of the cruise to go through passport control.

If you get stuck and have to fly home from a port (non-US), you will need a full passport.

Not necessarily. I am sure they won't keep you in a foreign port forever. Passports make it a no-brainer, but the consulate can get you something so you can fly home. I don't know what, but they HAVE to have things in place for such an emergency. It may take a while, but you WILL get home.

Not necessarily. I am sure they won't keep you in a foreign port forever. Passports make it a no-brainer, but the consulate can get you something so you can fly home. I don't know what, but they HAVE to have things in place for such an emergency. It may take a while, but you WILL get home.

But that's the point. You may need to get home NOW because of an emergency, not three days from now.

Yes, the consulate can get you home eventually, a few days later than you hoped and a few hundred dollars poorer than you started.

Over the years I've read many, many sad stories from cruisers who have been stranded for different reasons because they did not have their passports with them in port.

We always take our passports with us into ports and leave a copy of our passports in the safe on the ship. We also have copies of our passports stored here at home.

Only time our passports are in the safe when we're on the ship is when we are on the ship.

Dianne

I use to work for the US State Dept at an Embassy. For emergencies to get you back to the States it usually took two hours to get this setup as we have the ability to look up your passport on their computer systems and if the pictures match etc away you go. Bear in mind that the Consulate or the Embassy will tell you what an emergency is, basically think life threatening not just sick. So many people scream emergency when they have a broken bone or getting news of someone back home being gravely ill, that won't qualify you for this type of special treatment. If it is not an emergency the process has a few more steps and can take a couple of days. Its not a horrible process, just keep your head, don't get all frantic and don"t scream at the clerk and you will get back fairly quickly

I use to work for the US State Dept at an Embassy. For emergencies to get you back to the States it usually took two hours to get this setup as we have the ability to look up your passport on their computer systems and if the pictures match etc away you go. Bear in mind that the Consulate or the Embassy will tell you what an emergency is, basically think life threatening not just sick. So many people scream emergency when they have a broken bone or getting news of someone back home being gravely ill, that won't qualify you for this type of special treatment. If it is not an emergency the process has a few more steps and can take a couple of days. Its not a horrible process, just keep your head, don't get all frantic and don"t scream at the clerk and you will get back fairly quickly

Are you saying the passport card will work? Our cruise is only for 5 days so it would probably be faster just to enjoy our vacation until we get back home!!

Are you saying the passport card will work? Our cruise is only for 5 days so it would probably be faster just to enjoy our vacation until we get back home!!

Not for international air travel. If you had a passport card it would speed up the process of issuing you a passport book in case you had to fly home, because all the information necessary to issue a passport would already be in their database.

I would advise to bring passport and a copy, after checking in lock it in the safe, take the copy with you on port days (just in case...) and a driver license for ID to get back on the ship.

You will need passport only to get on the ship, and at the end of the cruise to go through passport control.

Passport copies are sufficient to get back on the ship after a day in port?

Yikes, I'd NEVER bring my original birth certificate anywhere! Wish the ports gave you stamps, I love collecting passport stamps.

Also, yes, my friend just returned from Costa Rica. Somehow, someone stole her wallet or something and lost the passport, had to get a new one reissued, luckily she had a copy with. I've never brought a copy with me but will now in my suitcase pocket or something along with my piece of paper w/ my address.

Passport copies are sufficient to get back on the ship after a day in port?

You don't need a passport to get back on the ship after a day in port--at least I've never experienced it.

You do need your ship card and some ports they tell you to bring a picture ID, which could be a passport or a driver's license. I think maybe we did have our picture ID checked once, at one port, but normally all you need to show is your ship card.

Sorry I cannot help with that as the passport cards did not exist when I worked for state.

I was not commenting on whether to take a card or a passport book, but moreso that the consulates and embassies have ways of getting people back to the states especially in medical emergency situations, passport or not. This was almost a bi weekly occurrence when I lived in the embassy and I was behind the iron curtain not nearly the amount of tourists as a port of call would normally see

You don't need a passport to get back on the ship after a day in port--at least I've never experienced it.

You do need your ship card and some ports they tell you to bring a picture ID, which could be a passport or a driver's license. I think maybe we did have our picture ID checked once, at one port, but normally all you need to show is your ship card.

Good to know thanks!

Archived