What's the difference between Carnival and RCCL

Tobsmith8

Hello All,

I've used Cruise Critic several times over the last couple of years and finally have decided to participate with some questions of my own. One of the things I've been interested to know is this: What's the major differences between Carnival and RCCL? What are the pros and cons either way? Thanks.

Actually the two lines are more alike then not. They both have similar itineraries, similar costs, and life onboard their ships is also quite similar. We think that at one point RCI was a significantly better cruise line in terms of food, entertainment, ships, etc....but this has changed in recent years as RCI made significant cut-backs in staffing and cuisine and put much of their emphasis in building huge mega-ships. The CEO of CCL (Carnival's overall owning corporation) has said that Carnival has no intention of building ships in the size category of the new Oasis and Allure of the Seas. I should add that both lines have excellent kids and teen programs.

Hank

I have always found them pretty comparable. A few differences I have noticed are that Carnival rooms tend to be larger, RCCL has better pools (IMO), I prefer Carnival's dining room to RCCL but prefer RCCL's buffet to Carnival's. I should note that I haven't been on either of Carnival's nor RCCL's larger ships though.

Thanks for the replies. I really haven't been on one of the newer boats of RCCL, but I have noticed that RCCL seems to be $150 to $200 pp more expensive, which is why I am considering doing a Carnival cruise as opposed to RCCL this upcoming fall.

I've been pretty interested in this subject myself, because we (My hubby and I and a big group) are trying to decide between Carnival (Magic) and RCCL (Mariner).

So far, from most discussions, if I didn't book based on itinerary at all I would book based on the ship and its amenities, etc. It appears that Carnival and RCCL actually have similar markets and pricing. (We're not wealthy, but I don't consider $100 - $200pp either way that significant when considering the amount of money we'll spend on a 7 day.) I *have* heard that Carnival's cabins are larger.

I'm pretty picky about things, but I actually am starting not to care which line we go on as long as I get the itinerary I want. However, I have never cruised, so my opinion may change later. :)

I've been pretty interested in this subject myself, because we (My hubby and I and a big group) are trying to decide between Carnival (Magic) and RCCL (Mariner).

So far, from most discussions, if I didn't book based on itinerary at all I would book based on the ship and its amenities, etc. It appears that Carnival and RCCL actually have similar markets and pricing. (We're not wealthy, but I don't consider $100 - $200pp either way that significant when considering the amount of money we'll spend on a 7 day.) I *have* heard that Carnival's cabins are larger.

I'm pretty picky about things, but I actually am starting not to care which line we go on as long as I get the itinerary I want. However, I have never cruised, so my opinion may change later. :)

My wife and I were pretty loyal to RCCL, but I'm beginning to think like you, that if cruising is what you enjoy than it doesn't really matter who you cruise with as long as you cruise.

Carnival and RCI are more alike than some people around here will lead you to believe. There are little things here and there they do differently. The only real big difference is their actual ships. RCI has numerous ship classes with big differences of what they provide. CCL has a tendency to stay with the same thing. I'm always telling faithful CCL cruisers to expand their horizons just to break up the sameness.

Room sizes aren't really bigger on CCL any more. Many RCI ships have bigger rooms than some CCL ships and vice versa.

Going from RCI to CCL, you'll notice a little more crowding. CCL's ships are darker and more closed in. RCI's ships are brighter and more open. CCL ships tend to be a little more smoky also.

Both have good food and great service.

hmmm, simple question

I've been pretty much on every cruise line out there and RCCL is by far the best. I love it so much, I've sailed over 60 times in almost all their ships.

• Royal tends to have a better crowd, the crowd that enjoys amenities and luxury. Royal Larger ships [like the Oasis] are great, if you enjoy activities, amazing shows, food options, Concierge and more.
  • Carnival tends to get the budget travelers...younger crowd, interested in saving $.
  • Princess and Celebrity are both nice, Both attract the 50+ yr old crowd.
  • Celebrity being my FAV.--very nice ships and excellent service.
  • Costa Cruises--don't waste your money.:eek:
  • Holland America--way over my age group [lights off at 8pm]

In other words, it all depends on what your style is or what you are looking for.:cool:

See you onboard!

hmmm, simple question

I've been pretty much on every cruise line out there and RCCL is by far the best. I love it so much, I've sailed over 60 times in almost all their ships.

• Royal tends to have a better crowd, the crowd that enjoys amenities and luxury. Royal Larger ships [like the Oasis] are great, if you enjoy activities, amazing shows, food options, Concierge and more.
  • Carnival tends to get the budget travelers...younger crowd, interested in saving $.
  • Princess and Celebrity are both nice, Both attract the 50+ yr old crowd.
  • Celebrity being my FAV.--very nice ships and excellent service.
  • Costa Cruises--don't waste your money.:eek:
  • Holland America--way over my age group [lights off at 8pm]

In other words, it all depends on what your style is or what you are looking for.:cool:See you onboard!

I appreciate the insight; my family and I only have the RCCL experience (and that only on the older ships), but all three trips have been great (very happy with RCCI consumers and shipmates).

I was thinking about saving $200 to $300 dollars and get a few extra days of sailing with CC, but if it gets ruined by drunken thugs than it would be a huge waste.

Archived