EPIC: Good, not Great. IMO

cariboukids

Recently did the Eastern Carribean on the EPIC. Myself, wife, DS6 and DD4. Here's my thoughts, all my opinion:

Getting on the ship was a breeze, very well organized and went very smoothly. Packed swimsuits so the kids could swim. Great idea to do so.

Our stateroom was great, 13042 to be exact. My wife and I loved the layout, including the bathroom set-up. The shower was a great size, and we liked the division of toilet and bathroom. No one walked in on any of us in the shower ;). I couldn't get over the amount of storage in the room. I honestly couldn't find things becasue there were so many places to put them. My son slept on the upper bunk that folded out of the ceiling. Great idea, only wish you could put it up or down by youtself, as it was in the way when it was down. Minor inconvenience though. Our room steward was great too. The first time I showered it wasn't draining. I phoned on our way out the door for supper, and Luis was there when I opened the door. No problems after that at all.

We ate mostly at the Buffet. I'm not a fussy eater, so I could have eaten there every day. Great selection, always fresh food. Massive area, and never had any line-ups or extended waits for anything. We did go to Tempenyaki (sp??) one night and enjoyed the entertainment. Food was so-so in my opinion. Taste was one night too, very enjoyable, but small portion (and I'm not a big gu or big eater). My only major complaint was the lack of 'free' drinks for kids. My kids don't drink pop, and to get an apple juice after breakfast they wanted you to pay at the bar for a glass. This was avoided if you asked one of the buffett staff, they would go and get some glasses for the kids. Also had lunch at Shennanigans or whatever it was calledone time too. Again, small portions, but a good lunch.

Blue Man Group was a great show, very entertaining, all of us enjoyed it.

Water slides, did the EPIC Plunge once, that's all it took. It was fun, but didn't feel like standing in line to go again. Not that the lineups were that long most of the time, but I did it to say I did.

As far as the pool deck, I never noticed the chair hog situation, but my wife did see 2 people fighting over a couple of chairs. For the most part, we were up on the pool deck early, so we could always find a seat. We actually used them too, not just to hold our towels :). The pools were fun, and the one was a great layout for the kids, with a 1 foot section in the corner. They did get crowded as the morning went on, but that's to be expected with so many people on the ship. The kids 'Aqua Park' was a great idea, and I noticed a lot of younger kids enjoying the structures. The only thing I didn't care for was the walk through srea. It had a roof, and was very chilly at times, even for this Northern Canuck. I can see it being a good thing though, to keep the kids out of the sun.

We found that there wasn't always something to do for the kids. My wife studied the daily every night for the next day, and we did what we could. My kids didn't go to the kids camp, and we found that there was only something for them to do every now and then. We did the Nickelodeon meet and greets, and the breakfast. We played Wii in the Atrium, and read books with Dora. It just felt that there were only 'scattered' activities for the kids. It was March Break, and I was expecting a lot more for the kidlets to do.

At night we would go up to the pool deck and the place was empty. This was at 7:00pm or so. Not sure where everybody was, maybe eating supper?? I spoke with a couple of other parents with kids around the same age as ours, and they shared the same sentiments, 'where is everybody?' Maybe we were expecting too much, but I felt like it should have been hoping at that place around that time??

All in all, it was a 'good' trip, but not great. Would I go again?? Probably not. Would I recommend it?? Sure I would, but I would give my opinion of it first.

The kids club was opened, but we didn't put the kids in it. They didn't want to, and we didn't want to send them. They were on vacation too. :)

They went one night, for 30 minutes, so my wife and I could visit the Ice Bar ($30.00 to have a drink in an industrial walk-in freezer). When we dropped the kids off, none of the girls working there seemed very excited to be there, and one just sat by the gate and opened it, didn't even aknowledge my kids. When we picked them up, same thing, she just sat there and picked up her phone and called for them to be brought to the gate, which she opened. Not even a good bye or anything.

That being said, the room was very secure, and they needed both kids key cards, including my own to pick them up. You also need to sign them in and out on log.

We are booked next year March and just curious about the kids activities. Was the camp open and your kids just didnt want to use it or were there no activities offered at certain times?

Great review, but I have to ask the same question about the kids club. I've had my two grandsons on two NCL cruises, and the Kids Club was the reason they had so much fun. We leave on the Epic in 10 days, and they are just too excited about getting back to the Kids Club.:confused:

Like I said, my kids weren't in the kids club, but those were my impressions on the one day we used the club. We toured it, and it looked like an amazing place for kids, and we saw some groupd of kids scattered around the ship obviously in the kids club, and enjoying their time.

Sorry I can't provide any more details.

Thank you for a detailed review, it is appreciated. I am not a huge fan of the Epic and would call it "good not great" as well. However, my reasons are because there's not much in the way of feeling on the sea (no promenade), not enough windows in the public areas, etc, too large for my preference, didn't care for the lay out of the pool area. But your review confuses me a little ... other than there not being enough kids activities, it sounded like everything was great. You called a lot of aspects great ... aren't kids activities in the kids' club, not all around the ship? Isn't that where they take place? I don't have small kids so I don't know, but other than Disney, I don't think a variety of general kid activities is the norm on a cruise ship other than on the club.

So can you clarify what else was just OK about your experience?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the review. What were the problems other than lack of activities geared for children not in Kids Club? I'm glad to hear the room and buffet were okay as those are things we always count on when we cruise.

(I'm thinking the financial incentive is to encourage people to use Kids Club...there is a charge for it, isn't there?) We only began cruising after our kids were grown but I imagine ours wouldn't have wanted to go, either, unless there were lots of video games. They wanted to stay in the room at Disney World and play video games.

The kids club was opened, but we didn't put the kids in it. They didn't want to, and we didn't want to send them. They were on vacation too. :)

They went one night, for 30 minutes, so my wife and I could visit the Ice Bar ($30.00 to have a drink in an industrial walk-in freezer). When we dropped the kids off, none of the girls working there seemed very excited to be there, and one just sat by the gate and opened it, didn't even aknowledge my kids. When we picked them up, same thing, she just sat there and picked up her phone and called for them to be brought to the gate, which she opened. Not even a good bye or anything.

That being said, the room was very secure, and they needed both kids key cards, including my own to pick them up. You also need to sign them in and out on log.

The Ice Bar costs $20 for two drinks. Are you saying you paid $30 for one drink?

No charge for the Kid's Club last I checked.

My kids went when they were younger and really enjoyed the activities. Kid's Club was where the kids were and where the kid activities took place.

Some things were organized in other parts of the ship but they were always organized by the Kid's Club and announced in their dailies (not the regular ship Freestyle Daily).

Thanks for the review. What were the problems other than lack of activities geared for children not in Kids Club? I'm glad to hear the room and buffet were okay as those are things we always count on when we cruise.

(I'm thinking the financial incentive is to encourage people to use Kids Club...there is a charge for it, isn't there?) We only began cruising after our kids were grown but I imagine ours wouldn't have wanted to go, either, unless there were lots of video games. They wanted to stay in the room at Disney World and play video games.

There is no charge for the kid's club.

Recently did the Eastern Carribean on the EPIC. Myself, wife, DS6 and DD4. Here's my thoughts, all my opinion:

Getting on the ship was a breeze, very well organized and went very smoothly. Packed swimsuits so the kids could swim. Great idea to do so.

Our stateroom was great, 13042 to be exact. My wife and I loved the layout, including the bathroom set-up. The shower was a great size, and we liked the division of toilet and bathroom. No one walked in on any of us in the shower ;). I couldn't get over the amount of storage in the room. I honestly couldn't find things becasue there were so many places to put them. My son slept on the upper bunk that folded out of the ceiling. Great idea, only wish you could put it up or down by youtself, as it was in the way when it was down. Minor inconvenience though. Our room steward was great too. The first time I showered it wasn't draining. I phoned on our way out the door for supper, and Luis was there when I opened the door. No problems after that at all.

We ate mostly at the Buffet. I'm not a fussy eater, so I could have eaten there every day. Great selection, always fresh food. Massive area, and never had any line-ups or extended waits for anything. We did go to Tempenyaki (sp??) one night and enjoyed the entertainment. Food was so-so in my opinion. Taste was one night too, very enjoyable, but small portion (and I'm not a big gu or big eater). My only major complaint was the lack of 'free' drinks for kids. My kids don't drink pop, and to get an apple juice after breakfast they wanted you to pay at the bar for a glass. This was avoided if you asked one of the buffett staff, they would go and get some glasses for the kids. Also had lunch at Shennanigans or whatever it was calledone time too. Again, small portions, but a good lunch.

Blue Man Group was a great show, very entertaining, all of us enjoyed it.

Water slides, did the EPIC Plunge once, that's all it took. It was fun, but didn't feel like standing in line to go again. Not that the lineups were that long most of the time, but I did it to say I did.

As far as the pool deck, I never noticed the chair hog situation, but my wife did see 2 people fighting over a couple of chairs. For the most part, we were up on the pool deck early, so we could always find a seat. We actually used them too, not just to hold our towels :). The pools were fun, and the one was a great layout for the kids, with a 1 foot section in the corner. They did get crowded as the morning went on, but that's to be expected with so many people on the ship. The kids 'Aqua Park' was a great idea, and I noticed a lot of younger kids enjoying the structures. The only thing I didn't care for was the walk through srea. It had a roof, and was very chilly at times, even for this Northern Canuck. I can see it being a good thing though, to keep the kids out of the sun.

We found that there wasn't always something to do for the kids. My wife studied the daily every night for the next day, and we did what we could. My kids didn't go to the kids camp, and we found that there was only something for them to do every now and then. We did the Nickelodeon meet and greets, and the breakfast. We played Wii in the Atrium, and read books with Dora. It just felt that there were only 'scattered' activities for the kids. It was March Break, and I was expecting a lot more for the kidlets to do.

At night we would go up to the pool deck and the place was empty. This was at 7:00pm or so. Not sure where everybody was, maybe eating supper?? I spoke with a couple of other parents with kids around the same age as ours, and they shared the same sentiments, 'where is everybody?' Maybe we were expecting too much, but I felt like it should have been hoping at that place around that time??

All in all, it was a 'good' trip, but not great. Would I go again?? Probably not. Would I recommend it?? Sure I would, but I would give my opinion of it first.

Why wouldnt they do the camp? It is awesome for the kids. My daughter loved it.

To try and clarify some of the questions.

I know I listed a lot of things as 'great', but all in all, my wife and I just felt 'good' about the whole experience. We are mostly comparing it against last years vacation to an all inclusive resort, and we enjoyed that much more.

We were disappointed that there was nothing going on on the pool deck after supper, and in all honesty, that really bothered us.

Our kids love being outside, and I think that's another reason they and we didn't want them to go to the camp. They want to be outside at the pool, and enjoy the fresh air.

Maybe it was $20.00 for the Ice Bar, either way, it was just like I said, an industrial freezer.

I can't really say there were any 'problems', maybe our expectations were too high...

To try and clarify some of the questions.

I know I listed a lot of things as 'great', but all in all, my wife and I just felt 'good' about the whole experience. We are mostly comparing it against last years vacation to an all inclusive resort, and we enjoyed that much more.

We were disappointed that there was nothing going on on the pool deck after supper, and in all honesty, that really bothered us.

Our kids love being outside, and I think that's another reason they and we didn't want them to go to the camp. They want to be outside at the pool, and enjoy the fresh air.

Maybe it was $20.00 for the Ice Bar, either way, it was just like I said, an industrial freezer.

I can't really say there were any 'problems', maybe our expectations were too high...

My sister and BIL used to vacation at Sandals all inclusive resort for adults only. From what they explained of their all inclusive vacations, there was literally no entertainment. Epic is all about evening and nightly entertainment and that is what I look forward to on my cruises. All inclusive resorts do not entice me at all.

My sister and BIL used to vacation at Sandals all inclusive resort for adults only. From what they explained of their all inclusive vacations, there was literally no entertainment. Epic is all about evening and nightly entertainment and that is what I look forward to on my cruises. All inclusive resorts do not entice me at all.

Different strokes then, the all inclusive we went to was a Beaches (a division of Sandals) and the nightly entertainment started at 7:00pm and went until around 9:00pm every night. We didn't see anything up on the pool deck on the Epic. I would have loved for the band to be there or something like that. To each his own I guess.

What about Quest, the White Hot Party, Newlywed Game, Abba party, Caribbean night? Were these functions not available on your sailing? Every night on our Epic sailing, there were numerous activities at H20.

H20 is adults only, they would probably frown if I tried to take my kids there...;)

Yes, it is supposed to be 18 or older but there were kids there on our sailing. My point is you said there was no entertainment in the evening by the pool. Yes, there is entertainment, maybe just not for the kiddies.

Thank you for your review..We were going to book the Epic for Next Thanksgiving with the kids however your review as well as a few other people we know personally who have recently Sailed on the Epic and so We have decided not to cruise on the Epic...My kids arent into the Kids thing either as we have a 16 yr old and 12 year old..they like to hang out with us on vacation :)

Sorry You guys didnt have a great time...

Everybody is going to be different. My son was 12 and didn't want to participate in any kids activities on the Epic when we cruised last October. That said, he had (and my husband and I) had an incredible time on the Epic. He has said numerous times, I want to go on the Epic again. We try to change up the ships and the cruise lines whenever we sail but we honestly enjoyed the Epic much more than the Oasis of the Seas, which we did three months earlier.

So they have an industrial freezer for a bar, but no place you can fill up your ice bucket!

You have to ask the steward (who is not always available) or go to a bar and ask a bartender. I guess you could use the dispenser at the buffet and get ice a glass at a time, but they frown on that.

Anyway, an ice bar is a very silly idea.

Thinking about doing the epic in 2012. Thanks so much for your awesome review!!!

I found that the deck was empty at that time on our last NCL cruise as well so you're not alone. As far as the other activities going on, I got the feeling they were more for adults too...not saying that there weren't any children there, there were, but I would want to bring my kids to something that included them and wasn't that they were brought along just because I wanted to go. I don't think that those without children would really appreciate going out at night to an 18+ event and having to share it with little ones either. I don't have children yet and I don't mind them at all, in any setting but we do travel with childless couples that would mind..big time.

As far as the camp goes, I wouldn't leave my children there either so you're not alone. We would enjoy being with our littles ones all the time...it is a family vacation. Doesn't mean I think it's not a good thing or anything, please don't get me wrong...just not for me.

I've heard SO many great things about the Beaches all inclusive and how they really do cater to children all of the time, especially after supper in the early evening - which from the sounds of it, seems to be the time of day you found activities for the little ones the most lacking.

As I said, we don't have children yet but when we do we would be the type that plan our vacation based on the children first (things for us to do together, activities they would like that involve all of us, etc) because personally, I would get more joy out of watching them have fun and experience things then I would get out of experiencing things myself and that's why the kids club wouldn't work for me. Seems you and your wife are much the same.

Glad you had a good time though and thanks again for the review!!! :)

Yes, Sandals is adults only. Beaches was created for families with children and that's probably why there was more for them to do as a family in the evening.

Different strokes then, the all inclusive we went to was a Beaches (a division of Sandals) and the nightly entertainment started at 7:00pm and went until around 9:00pm every night. We didn't see anything up on the pool deck on the Epic. I would have loved for the band to be there or something like that. To each his own I guess.

Just curious...what type of entertainment did the Beaches all inclusive have? I don't understand why a division of Sandals would have entertainment and Sandals not. Hmmm.

So they have an industrial freezer for a bar, but no place you can fill up your ice bucket!

You have to ask the steward (who is not always available) or go to a bar and ask a bartender. I guess you could use the dispenser at the buffet and get ice a glass at a time, but they frown on that.

Anyway, an ice bar is a very silly idea.

I've been on Epic twice and both times, our cabin attendant filled our ice bucket twice a day. That was plenty of ice for the two of us.

Just curious...what type of entertainment did the Beaches all inclusive have? I don't understand why a division of Sandals would have entertainment and Sandals not. Hmmm.

Sorry to butt in here ;) but I have your answer.

Sandals was created with "couples" in mind. Adults only. A place where they could come for a nice getaway or for a honeymoon. Several years later, Sandals realized that the same couples who had been their clients in earlier years now had families. (may or may not have been as a direct result of the great romantic getaway they had there the first time around, if you know what I mean ;)) They created Beaches for that very reason. A place that was family friendly and catered specifically to those that brought their children on vacay. Therefore, they have a great number of activities (both day AND evening) that are very kid friendly and meant to hold the attention of children in an environment with a lot of other children (Sesame Street shows, etc). I'm sure Sandals does have evening entertainment but it's just not child friendly (shows kids may consider boring, nightclub, etc).

Hope that answered your question. I'm sure Caribou will chime in and answer...just thought since I was here I'd give you the info. I've never been to either, btw, just knew about the history a couple of months ago when one of our local radio stations was broadcasting from there and thought it was interesting.

Archived