just how small are the cabins on epic

Rmunson72906

Our Cabin was a good size .When you book ask where the sink is You want it in front of the couch not the bed Our cabin was very big for cruise standards We were on deck 11 Our Balcony was HUGE I had a lounger put in It was GREAT LOOK at deck plans to find the biggest balconies which have gone up in price I believe Choose Deck 9 or higher but not too high if prone to seasickness Deck 11 was fine

Insides are VERY small I am WAY too claustrophobic for one Also studios are very small as well

I loved our cabin It was awesome but beds were very close together .We used the couch as "dumping ground "I leave a suitcase fill it up as we go along less to pack on l;ast day .We never wear anything twice so in it goes the next morning .Now I know why I do not know how to pack light....

Hope this helps I loved EPIC you will too

Michele

We were in a deluxe balcony and it was smallish, but manageable for two of us. We were two guys who didn't want to share a bed, so we had them separate them for us. But they only separate about 4 inches. Here's a picture of that, if I did it right.

https://picasaweb.google.com/rickchapman62/201101CruiseSeaDay3#5565461624874547122

From what I understand (we don't sail the Epic until next year), balcony cabins are 151 square feet. Not tiny and not huge. I guess your comfort level will really depend on the number in your party. The balconies on regular NCL ships are 162 square feet, so not really that much of a difference.

According to deckplans.com, the balcony cabins on Epic are 126-151 sq. ft., so you could get a small room or a REALLY small room.

I see you are sailing on the Freedom of the Seas soon (lucky you!). For comparison, the Freedom class balcony cabins are 200-214 sq. ft., so a significant difference.

Happy sailing!

According to deckplans.com, the balcony cabins on Epic are 126-151 sq. ft., so you could get a small room or a REALLY small room.

I see you are sailing on the Freedom of the Seas soon (lucky you!). For comparison, the Freedom class balcony cabins are 200-214 sq. ft., so a significant difference.

Happy sailing!

I am a huge fan of cruisedeckplans.com, but have learned they are not always accurate. It is usually best to look at the individual cruiseline's website for a more accurate description.

Excellent advice, Tiyana4 (and of course I forgot to put the word "cruise" before "deck plans" in the website I quoted - oops!). Unfortunately, NCL insists on including the balcony in the square footage for each cabin, so it is impossible to tell from their website how big the cabins are. Sort of deceptive if you ask me, but of course, no one did! Just something to keep in mind.

I like to relax in my cabin with a book, sit on a comfortable couch, put my drink on a table in front of me, be able to walk around without crawling over my cabin-mate, and use the restroom/shower in private, none of which I could do on the Epic, so sadly it is not for me. But, again, no one asked me! Too bad because I really wanted to love that ship.

I guess I'll have to settle for the Dawn in a penthouse suite - such a hardship! ;)

We had a Deluxe Family Balcony on the Epic and it was great. There was so much storage we had empty shelves and cabinets and for three people it was very comfortable. Our son had a Studio and it was excellent for one person and he was very satisfied with the space.

We were in a deluxe balcony and it was smallish, but manageable for two of us. We were two guys who didn't want to share a bed, so we had them separate them for us. But they only separate about 4 inches. Here's a picture of that, if I did it right.

https://picasaweb.google.com/rickchapman62/201101CruiseSeaDay3#5565461624874547122

That is quite ridiculous that the option of separating the beds is so limited. DH and I had a standard balcony cabin and it was just fine for the two of us. I made sure we had the bed by the balcony and the sofa closer to the sink. Somebody wasn't thinking about two passengers who don't want to sleep in the same bed. 4 inches is just not enough room to get out of the bed in the middle of the night to use the bathroom. What were they thinking???

We were in room 13052 and our DS was in 13060. If you check the deck plans you'll notice it's where the ship "flares" out. Our balcony was 4-5 feet deepr than the one on our right, it was huge. 13060 was just a smidge smaller. The room was a little tight but has lots of storage. We were concerned about being so close to the elevator and it being noisy but it wasn't at all.

Excellent advice, Tiyana4 (and of course I forgot to put the word "cruise" before "deck plans" in the website I quoted - oops!). Unfortunately, NCL insists on including the balcony in the square footage for each cabin, so it is impossible to tell from their website how big the cabins are. Sort of deceptive if you ask me, but of course, no one did! Just something to keep in mind.

I like to relax in my cabin with a book, sit on a comfortable couch, put my drink on a table in front of me, be able to walk around without crawling over my cabin-mate, and use the restroom/shower in private, none of which I could do on the Epic, so sadly it is not for me. But, again, no one asked me! Too bad because I really wanted to love that ship.

I guess I'll have to settle for the Dawn in a penthouse suite - such a hardship! ;)

If you liked the Epic so much, but not the cabin size, book a penthouse suite on the Epic and your problems will be eliminated. The aft penthouse suites are nice.

The cabins are long and narrow. Deluxe balcony is a bit longer than standard. Ditto to avoiding the standard balcony cabin with the sink at the foot of the bed. Spring for the larger balcony -- it has room for two loungers. Ask your steward to get them for you. We did and loved it!

Also, go up to Deck 11 at least. Some Deck 10 cabins look right over the open balconies on Deck 9. My daughter was not happy seeing the guy right below her on Deck 9 walking outside in his underwear. Not:cool:

The cabin is so narrow, the beds are too short. I don't know how tall people (over 5'11") managed the Epic beds.

The cabins are long and narrow. Deluxe balcony is a bit longer than standard. Ditto to avoiding the standard balcony cabin with the sink at the foot of the bed. Spring for the larger balcony -- it has room for two loungers. Ask your steward to get them for you. We did and loved it!

Also, go up to Deck 11 at least. Some Deck 10 cabins look right over the open balconies on Deck 9. My daughter was not happy seeing the guy right below her on Deck 9 walking outside in his underwear. Not:cool:

The cabin is so narrow, the beds are too short. I don't know how tall people (over 5'11") managed the Epic beds.

You pull the bed a few inches away from the headboard

We haven't sailed Epic yet but have been thinking of booking. But do I understand you all to say that the sink is in the cabin? Instead of in the bathroom? I am having a hard time imagining this, and how it works. Any feedback will be appreciated....

If you liked the Epic so much, but not the cabin size, book a penthouse suite on the Epic and your problems will be eliminated. The aft penthouse suites are nice.

LOL...you took the words right out of my mouth.

You pull the bed a few inches away from the headboard

Ding, ding, ding....we have a winner. :)

We haven't sailed Epic yet but have been thinking of booking. But do I understand you all to say that the sink is in the cabin? Instead of in the bathroom? I am having a hard time imagining this, and how it works. Any feedback will be appreciated....

It is no different than my setup at home....or many hotel rooms, common/public areas in malls, restaurants, etc.

I have a commode and bathtub IN my bathroom at home, and outside of this area (just like the Epic it is separated by a door) there is a dressing room and sink. I will never understand why this is such an issue for some.

Choose a cabin where the sink is in front of the couch .The sink is TEENIE TINY . AS you walk in cabin you will find shower on one side toilet on other .a curtain to separate from living quarters

then the couch

Then a bed for 2 or 1 WE separated them but with very little space between.Our balcony was HUGE!!!

Lots of storage place .Suitcases under bed

When you look at deck plan the OUT wave is your bed ...check where it is You want it near the balcony not at the couch I liked the look I did not mind the layout at all Nice thing hairdryer conveniently placed under desk ...no need to bring one I thought it was fine

Michele

Choose a cabin where the sink is in front of the couch .The sink is TEENIE TINY . AS you walk in cabin you will find shower on one side toilet on other .a curtain to separate from living quarters

then the couch

Then a bed for 2 or 1 WE separated them but with very little space between.Our balcony was HUGE!!!

Lots of storage place .Suitcases under bed

When you look at deck plan the OUT wave is your bed ...check where it is You want it near the balcony not at the couch I liked the look I did not mind the layout at all Nice thing hairdryer conveniently placed under desk ...no need to bring one I thought it was fine

Michele

2010EpicCruise058.jpg

P1070149.jpg

You can see the sink on the left, the toilet is behind the glass. I personally though the bathroom layout was great and extremely functional. You could literally have 3 people doing separate things at the same time.

I wouldn't say the cabins were huge, but I wouldn't say small either. They make use of every square inch of the cabin for storage. There were 4 of us, and we had storage to spare!!

This thread goes back to all of the FUD (fear, uncertainty & doubt) about the cabin and bathrooms prior to a lot of people sailing on Epic. I loved the bathroom layout. You could have 4 people doing different things. One dressing in the room, one brushing their teeth, one in the can and one in the shower. Would this work with a stranger or "friends"? Probably not. However, NCL knows their statistics and know that the vast majority of cruisers in a cabin are related.

I personally don't think the "size" of the room is an issue. To me it's the availability of beds comfortable for adults. First off, the beds do not separate much. Not good of traveling with a stranger or a "not close" friend. Again, NCL knows the stats. Second, the couch is firm and not a typical foldout. While this eliminates all of the painful crossbars, it makes it only usable by one person under 5'8" and 140lbs or so. However, my kids found the couches very, very comfortable. The last bed, the pull down, is actually very comfortable as well and would work ok for an adult of reasonable size.

Having said all this, we loved the cabin with our family of 2 adults and kids 9 (couch) and 16 (pull down). My 14yo slept on the grandparent's couch next door. There is TONS of storage, and a very nice balcony. I would not hesitate at all to sail in a room like this again, Epic or not.

Here's are my pictures. There are lots of pictures of the rooms throughout the albums.

http://public.fotki.com/ritchiefamily/san_diego_family/2010-pictures/epic-cruise-public-/

cariboukids,

you said that there were 4 of you in that room, your picture makes it look like it was a decent size. Were you all adults? Also does the couch open into a bed and what was your room category. Do you have anymore pics from your room/trip? Thanks

cariboukids,

you said that there were 4 of you in that room, your picture makes it look like it was a decent size. Were you all adults? Also does the couch open into a bed and what was your room category. Do you have anymore pics from your room/trip? Thanks

As I stated in my post above, the couch does not fold out into a bed. It pulls out from under backrest as much as you need it to, and one person sleeps lengthwise on it.

Here you can see all 4 beds made up. When we got up in the morning we took the pillow off the upper bed and folded the entire thing, sheets and all, into the ceiling. We also folded up the sheets and comforter on the couch and put that in the vast storage area in the couch backrest. It took about 1 minute for me to turn our room back into a living space instead of a sleeping space

345-vi.jpg

Here is the opposite facing room with the couch next to the bathroom

411-vi.jpg

cariboukids,

No, it was 2 adults, and 2 children (6 and 4). The bottom part of the couch just pulls out from the wall, giving you more sleeping space. The couch was also close in size to a love seat, wouldn't work for an adult to sleep. We had the same set-up with the bed that folded out of the ceiling.

I honestly don't think it would work for 4 adults. We were on the 13th deck, 13042, and I believe it was a Deluxe Family class.

Archived