ventura upgrade?

roy118

We are going on ventura soon, had a call from our T/A saying we have been upgraded from our room on C Deck to one on A Deck, when we checked the room it had a smaller balcony and a worse position, I complained that it was a downgrade but they said it wasn't and they had rebooked our old room, said I would call P&O myself but T/A said they would do it. they called back and said we are now on Lido deck, I still called P&O they too said it is an upgrade, I said that the new room is cheaper than our old one online and in the new broucher, they said at the time of booking 12 months ago it wasnt cheaper so it is an upgrade, its our first cruise and am starting to think it will be our last if we start the holiday unhappy, just want advice, is this a upgrade as its higher up the ship even though room is cheaper now and balcony is smaller we were on C234 then supposedly upgraded to A630 and now Lido deck L308 we are celebrating my 50th and our silver wedding so want things to be great, we were already looking at other csuises for 2012 but will wait now to see how this goes

I,ve had a look at the deckplans and the first offer was an upgrade according to the grades it gives on the deckplans but the second offer was a downgrade on your upgrade if you know what I mean eg. your original cabin is JG the first upgrade is JC and final one JD, I dont want to put a dampener on your cruise but the last offer is right at the lift entrance/exit so there will be alot of foot traffic but I,m sure you,ll have a lovely cruise , finally if at all possible I would see if you could get the A deck cabin back.

Dave

Hi,

I've just looked at the deck plans. The C deck and L deck cabins you mention are both the same grade: JF, but the A deck was a 3 category upgrade to a JC, because of its position. Your new cabin, JF, is actually a downgrade from the A deck.

Out of them all, I would have chosen the C deck - your first assigment, even though it's quite forward, purely for the bigger balcony.

L308 is on the pool deck, quite close to the doors so there could be a lot of traffic there. Have a look at the deck plans to see where the cabin is.

Have you booked a guarantee balcony? Is that why they're moving you around?

Just realised I'm looking at the 2012 brochure and the grades have changed from 2011 brochure.

We are going on ventura soon, had a call from our T/A saying we have been upgraded from our room on C Deck to one on A Deck, when we checked the room it had a smaller balcony and a worse position, I complained that it was a downgrade but they said it wasn't and they had rebooked our old room, said I would call P&O myself but T/A said they would do it. they called back and said we are now on Lido deck, I still called P&O they too said it is an upgrade, I said that the new room is cheaper than our old one online and in the new broucher, they said at the time of booking 12 months ago it wasnt cheaper so it is an upgrade, its our first cruise and am starting to think it will be our last if we start the holiday unhappy, just want advice, is this a upgrade as its higher up the ship even though room is cheaper now and balcony is smaller we were on C234 then supposedly upgraded to A630 and now Lido deck L308 we are celebrating my 50th and our silver wedding so want things to be great, we were already looking at other csuises for 2012 but will wait now to see how this goes

Hi there - no wonder you are upset.

It looks as though your first upgrade was definately an upgrade as it was more mid ship and higher. The upgrade onto the lido deck appears to be the same category as your first cabin!

On a plus point all these cabins will be internally the same - the only difference is the balcony size. The position on the lido doesn't look to bad to me. We had a cabin on the lido deck on Oceana and had no noise at all. I can't see there will be much footfall there as the only place that it leads to is the thermal suite and as for the lifts - we have often been close to lifts and never had much noise. We found being on the lido deck really handy. As it's close to the pool deck it is ideal for changing into swimwear or nipping to use the bathroom.

Did your travel agent ask you if you would like to receive an upgrade when you booked. If you said yes then you cannot refuse the upgrade. If you said no then they should not have moved you!

I hope you have a wonderfull Wedding Aniversary - try not to let this spoil the run up to your cruise. I'm sure you will have a great time. We are off on her in 2 weeks time - can't wait

Take care

Sue

Hi thanks for the comments, we did want to stay in our C Deck cabin due to the bigger balcony, that was the reason we picked it, the A Deck upgrade was rite next to the launderette and paople have said that's not a good position, never gave it a thought about popping back to room from the pool, we do feel hard done by and just hope it dosent spoil our holiday (I am sure it won't ) but the slightest thing that goes wrong we will end up blaming the upgrade, will give P&O another call think.

thank you

If your agent didnt ask you if you would accept an upgrade or not then I would be having a (strong) word with them. Unfortunately if the upgrade option was not ruled out then P&O have not done anything wrong since the moves of cabin are technically upgrades even if we might not think so.

As has been said, the only difference will be the balcony. The views from the Lido deck balcony will be lovely. We did use that walkway past your Lido deck cabin through from the pool area to the lifts on Ventura and Azura. I don't think the lifts themselves will be an issue and the throughput on this area will mainly be during the daytime, should be very quiet at night. The only thing I noticed on Ventura is the carpet area on the corridor was a but grubby due to people walking on it from outside.

There is still a chance you might get upgraded further and may get an even better cabin. I think when asked whether people will accept an upgrade then we automatically think it will be to the next cabin style, eg from Balcony to Superior Deluxe Balcony for instance, forgetting that there are other grades within the same type of cabin. If anyone has put thought into where they want to be situated on the ship then its probably better they opt out of upgrades to ensure they are not dissapointed.

Hi,

Thanks for the updates we are still looking forward to our cruise but it has put a damper on things, I know in P&Os eyes they have done no wrong, but would have expected them to try and make an effort to make us happy with our upgrade, we seem to think we have got the worst deal with having to have the rooms that nobody wanted and the room we booked last year has been sold again as it was a good room

Thanks again

Will let you know how things go

Roy

When I booked a further cruise onboard Ventura, I asked for a cabin on C deck because of the large balcony. The lady taking the booking asked me if this was the reason I asked for C deck, and then advised me decline a possible upgrade. She said that whilst these may occasionally be to a larger superior deluxe cabin, they were usually to the same type of cabin in a higher sub grade. These may be higher up or nearer the cetre of the ship, but may well have a smaller balcony. I took her advice.

I believe the Ventura is less formal than the other ships in the P&O fleet but I'm sure the standards will be the same. You'll get some people who don't fit in and conform on all the ships.

I reserve my opinion till I've sailed on her in five weeks time. :)

I believe the Ventura is less formal than the other ships in the P&O fleet but I'm sure the standards will be the same. You'll get some people who don't fit in and conform on all the ships.

I reserve my opinion till I've sailed on her in five weeks time. :)

I have sailed on all of P&O's "family" ships excl Azura during the past few years. In my own opinion, there is no difference between them as regards standards of service or cuisine. What does differ is the ambience of the ships, Ventura being noticably less formal and attracting a generally younger, more cosmopolitan crowd than the others - not so much "middle England at sea" as traditional P&O. This is very much to my own tastes - she is my favourite - but I can appreciate that she may not be to those of everyone.

Hi,

We went on Ventura and had a great holiday,

our cabin was on lido deck L301, this was the one we selected. The position was great !!, yes the balcony was smaller than some others, but big enough for two chairs and a table, the plus side was that not many cabins are on that deck so it is quieter. It is great for breakfast in waterside as its a stroll along the deck.

The view is fab, and nobody can overlook you on your balcony, but you can overlook on to everyone below you !!!! so you have your privacy, they don't !

Enjoy your hol :)

To the OP, try not to let it spoil your holiday. The smaller balcony can still seat 4 people if you bring on the chairs from the cabin. We did it last year and it was fine.

The other thing is that C deck is overlooked. I once nearly dropped my glass on a sailaway. It would have landed on a C deck balcony.

If you really like your cabin in future, remember to mark it "no upgrade"

Happy cruising. :)

To the OP, try not to let it spoil your holiday. The smaller balcony can still seat 4 people if you bring on the chairs from the cabin. We did it last year and it was fine.

The other thing is that C deck is overlooked. I once nearly dropped my glass on a sailaway. It would have landed on a C deck balcony.

If you really like your cabin in future, remember to mark it "no upgrade"

Happy cruising. :)

Hi I did know C deck was overlooked but never gave it a thought about something falling from the decks above, a good point, i think as we have never been on a cruise before we have no idea what to expect. We feel better about our cabin now and it can't wait to get onboard.

Thanks roy

We are now looking forward to our cruise and I think I prefer our room com the lido deck now, close to the pool and can pop back to our room easy, what's it like getting on and off the ship each day, does it take forever?

Have you uploaded any photos anywhere of the views from your cabin

All the best roy

Hi,

We went on Ventura and had a great holiday,

our cabin was on lido deck L301, this was the one we selected. The position was great !!, yes the balcony was smaller than some others, but big enough for two chairs and a table, the plus side was that not many cabins are on that deck so it is quieter. It is great for breakfast in waterside as its a stroll along the deck.

The view is fab, and nobody can overlook you on your balcony, but you can overlook on to everyone below you !!!! so you have your privacy, they don't !

Enjoy your hol :)

My hubby is from Aldridge !! :eek: his family still live there.

I have got lots of pics, not sure how to put them on here, but i will have a go, or I could email them to you, or if your on Facebook they are all on my page, :)

We are now looking forward to our cruise and I think I prefer our room com the lido deck now, close to the pool and can pop back to our room easy, what's it like getting on and off the ship each day, does it take forever?

Have you uploaded any photos anywhere of the views from your cabin

All the best roy

Photos on next page of cabin and balcony.

hi everyone

first time cruising the ventura 29th april ... we originally booked cc grade superior deluxe d deck , now been upgraded to cb grade near mid ships d deck ... rely cant wait ... would like to know if any1 else has been in cb grade superior deluxe and has an opinion about it

thanks craig

hi everyone

first time cruising the ventura 29th april ... we originally booked cc grade superior deluxe d deck , now been upgraded to cb grade near mid ships d deck ... rely cant wait ... would like to know if any1 else has been in cb grade superior deluxe and has an opinion about it

thanks craig

hi Craig

we have traveled on Ventura, but also had a day tour on her when she was docked because some of our friends wanted a look around.

we were shown all grades of cabins and i can honestly say every one was great, from the inside to the most expensive, and I was very impresed with the disabled cabins,(we are not disabled) they had thought of everything enjoy your hol

My hubby is from Aldridge !! :eek: his family still live there.

I have got lots of pics, not sure how to put them on here, but i will have a go, or I could email them to you, or if your on Facebook they are all on my page, :)

Will have a look for you on facebook we have a few pics on facebook when we went to southampton for a few days when ventura was there

Archived