Coffee Card question.

maxamuus

Does the card still include unlimited regular brewed coffee ? When we sailed the Sapphire it did. The free "coffee" was without a doubt the most vile "coffee" i had ever tasted.

Was looking on Princess' website and it says -

Café Selects Coffee Card Entitles the cardholder to 15 espresso-based specialty coffees, such as cappuccino, lattes, etc., during the course of the voyage.

No mention of brewed coffee.

....and I take it you can bring your own giant travel mug and they will fill it for you?

Yes, this is what DH does every morning. It is not a giant mug, just a regular sized travel mug (actually, it's a Princess mug). Once a cruise he tips those folks who made it happen for him, but I don't think it's expected.

The coffee card, with at least one punch remaining, also covers unlimited specialty teas and hot chocolate. DH gets his hot chocolate made with steamed milk (he is SO spoiled by the waitstaff at the International Cafe) with whipped cream on top.

The coffee card is a very good deal, even without the BOGO coupon that used to exist (but no longer does). On the Emerald, they were giving away a nice Princess travel coffee mug with every purchase (not the same one DH uses; frankly, a nicer one!).

I'm having one right now. Made on my Keurig. :D

I am a Keurig fanatic. Live near a online warehouse which also has a small retail store (ECS) ... it's great, we go there on Sunday's to grab K cups.

I do find it odd that no where I've seen is the brewed coffee 'freebie' advertised, I can't remember where I even learned about it the first time. Most if not all the ads make it sound like its just for punches of fancy coffees.

I have a question that would fit in here. My parents are coffee snobs, mixed with vacation cheapskates. As we get on, can I personally buy them 2 of these cards and just hand them to them to enjoy? We are not in the same cabin, and DH and I don't drink coffee, so I need to be sure they can use them instead of us...thoughts?

Just returned from 23 days on the Diamond Princess and as long as you had a Coffee Card you could get a regular cup of coffee, no problem. We had a spontaneous morning Coffee Club that formed at the Lobby Bar and several "members" just had a regular cup of Joe each morning. Once they showed their card at the beginning there was no problem. I had my special Mocha every morning so my card got punched a lot. Also, I had no trouble using my old green coffee card a Cruise 4 years ago. The cards are good always. I laminate the one I bring home, and it will be in good condition for the next trip next year.

Just returned from 23 days on the Diamond Princess and as long as you had a Coffee Card you could get a regular cup of coffee, no problem. We had a spontaneous morning Coffee Club that formed at the Lobby Bar and several "members" just had a regular cup of Joe each morning. Once they showed their card at the beginning there was no problem. I had my special Mocha every morning so my card got punched a lot. Also, I had no trouble using my old green coffee card a Cruise 4 years ago. The cards are good always. I laminate the one I bring home, and it will be in good condition for the next trip next year.

I would suggest you reconsider laminating. Some ships are not accepting them.

I do find it odd that no where I've seen is the brewed coffee 'freebie' advertised, I can't remember where I even learned about it the first time. Most if not all the ads make it sound like its just for punches of fancy coffees.

We were on one ship (Sun- 2007) where the free brewed coffee was not offered. DH paid either $1 or $2 every morning to get his brewed coffee. But since then we've had no issue.

I have not laminated my card, but I did place packing tape on both sides of it before we left for our last cruise. It was a good thing. I had it in the zippered pocket of my shorts one day when I sent them to be laundered. The tape was all that held it together until I used it up later in the cruise.

You will have no issue buying the cards for your parents.

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm new to Princess and unfamiliar with this coffee card concept. I gather that there is free coffee available in the buffet area, but folks just think it's not very good or want better quality, so the coffee card is like the soda card elsewhere and you use it at the specialty coffee shop? Or what about ordering coffee from say, a lounge or bar area?

Excuse my ignorance, but I'm new to Princess and unfamiliar with this coffee card concept. I gather that there is free coffee available in the buffet area, but folks just think it's not very good or want better quality, so the coffee card is like the soda card elsewhere and you use it at the specialty coffee shop? Or what about ordering coffee from say, a lounge or bar area?

Yes, there is free coffee available everywhere (I mean, I guess you can order it in a lounge; never tried!) and yes, some people do not find it good at all --it's made from a syrup concentrate so it's like instant coffee but in liquid form. But others don't mind it.

The coffee card is actually intended for use for specialty coffees (lattes, mochas, cappucinos, etc.): for $28, you get 15 punches good for that number of specialty coffee drinks. As long as there is at least one punch remaining on the card, you can also present it (at the coffee bar on the ship, be it the International Cafe or La Patisserie -- different names on different ships) and get unlimited fresh-brewed coffee.

Hope this helps clarify it somewhat.

yes, some people do not find it good at all --it's made from a syrup concentrate so it's like instant coffee but in liquid form. But others don't mind it.

I found the "coffee" on Princess to be the most foul tasting swill i have ever tasted and i dont even consider myself a coffee snob. I get coffee from Convenience stores all the time.

It just tasted awful in my opinion. Where as the fresh brewed coffee tasted like normal coffee. So i think the coffee card was a good deal. YMMV.

I'm having one right now. Made on my Keurig. :D

I am a Keurig fanatic. Live near a online warehouse which also has a small retail store (ECS) ... it's great, we go there on Sunday's to grab K cups.

Just purchased one myself...so much better than other single serve machines I have owned, and so easy. Still prefer the mini French press with freshly ground beans, but no time for that most days, and the kcups are the next best thing with only one coffee drinker in the house!

I always get the fresh brewed when we cruise, and never had problems with multiple refills a day!

I found the "coffee" on Princess to be the most foul tasting swill i have ever tasted and i dont even consider myself a coffee snob. I get coffee from Convenience stores all the time.

It just tasted awful in my opinion. Where as the fresh brewed coffee tasted like normal coffee. So i think the coffee card was a good deal. YMMV.

You call it swill; I call it sludge. :D Whatever you call it, I don't drink it either. It's either fresh brewed or Via or lately, Americano.

Archived