Need New Yorker's Help Pre stay & Touring

marcyjane

We are looking at staying in Time square at the Marriott Marquis Hotel pre cruise. (I have points to stay there is why we picked it). Also we are planning to go to Madison Square Gardens for an event if possible.

On the map it looks like about a 15 to 20 minute walk from our hotel to Madison Square Gardens. Do you feel it's a safe walk back to the hotel 10-11 pm.

Thanks so much,

Marcy

Madison Square Garden is above Pennsylvania Station, between 31 and 33 Sts; the Marriott is between 45 and 46 Sts. To walk 15 blocks (3/4 mile) would take me 12 to 15 minutes, possibly a bit longer since Times Square will be so crowded and filled with people at that hour. So long as your eyesight is good enough watch out for traffic and avoid getting hit by a passing motorist, you should be safe enough. However, if you end up drinking too much at the event so that you can't stand up straight or otherwise think you might not be able to cross the street safely, then you might want to hail a taxi so that you will reduce the likelihood of becoming injured on the way back to the hotel (that sidewalk can be awfully hard were you to trip and fall down!). Best bet if you're concerned about walking safely to to simply watch your alcohol consumption and drink responsibly.

I think it's a safe walk, but that doesn't take into account your own personal comfort with walking in a big city at a time of night when, for a few blocks at least, there may not be all that many people on the street.

There will be lots of activity in the Madison Square Garden area on the night of an event, there will be lots of activity on any night from Times Square north to your hotel, but for the six block stretch from 34th St. to 40th St., it's possible there will not be a lot of people on the street.

We are looking at staying in Time square at the Marriott Marquis Hotel pre cruise. (I have points to stay there is why we picked it). Also we are planning to go to Madison Square Gardens for an event if possible.

On the map it looks like about a 15 to 20 minute walk from our hotel to Madison Square Gardens. Do you feel it's a safe walk back to the hotel 10-11 pm.

Thanks so much,

Marcy

Seventh Avenue will be packed at that time and just getting out of your hotel to the street will be an issue because the hotel itself is a tourist attraction from The Broadway Bar, The View, to the Marquis Theater (which is a Broadway theater inside the hotel).

There are some quieter areas of Seventh Avenue south of Times Square that are fine but unless you really want to walk, I'd take a cab.

Whatever you do, have a cocktail at The Broadway Bar in your hotel. It has the most amazing views of Times Square and reservations are recommended.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. The drinking will not be a problem for us. As we are taking our grandson (12) and we don't drink when he is with us. We just want to show him the sites of New York and to a Nick's game on Sunday.

Thanks so much,

Marcy

It is very safe and there are many people on the street. I do it all the time walking from Times Square area after a show to Penn Station. It is an easy walk, the blocks are short. Walk along 7th Avenue, not 8th Avenue.

Thank you, we will make sure and stay on 7th Avenue on our way back to hotel in Time Square.

Thanks,

Marcy

Archived