The passport thing????

kclav

Another reason based on the itinerary, the ship sometimes passes into different countries (i.e. Cook Islands, Fiji. etc.) and this allows those customs officers to examine your passport without disturbing you.

While other lines have asked us to take a photo copy with us or our passports this has never been the case on the PG. I think its because the islands are so small that it would be quite easy to track any one down.

When you're in FP, you're actually in France, with all the attendant regulations. They like to control where people are. Presumably when you go over to the Cook's, the authorities like to be able to see all the passports at once. That way they don't have to bother the guests with any passport control nonsense. I know it's that way often on other cruises, but each port is different. They keep the passports locked up in a box, and you never need them on the islands. And if you're cruising within FP, you don't need to carry a photocopy around with you, since you're cruising within a single country.

Like Alberta Couple said. Just take a photo copy with you when you are out and about. I put it in my money belt. That becomes your ID in case of whatever!!!! I also keep a copy in each piece of luggage along with family contact information, etc.

It is not uncommon for ships to keep your passport while on board. At first I was reluctant to do this, but we have cruised so much that "I just hand it over."

Archived