Radiance, Freedom or Monarch?

Currently booked on an upcoming 4 nt on the Monarch with my daughters (ages 10, 17, 19). Found yesterday that I may have the opportunity to change to a 5 night on the Radiance or (less likely) a 7 nt on the Freedom the same week. Originally chose the Monarch because it best fit my budget constraints but could upgrade to the Radiance for not a lot more $$ and would also have 2 cabins instead of 1 on the Monarch. Would have one cabin on Freedom but 7 nights instead of 4.

One of my concerns with the Monarch is that 4 nights will seem too short (have done 7 nt cruises in the past) so it would be nice to have at least one extra night.

Have never cruised RCL before. Researched about the Monarch but know nothing about Radiance or Freedom. Anyone cruised both Monarch and one of these others? How do they compare? What are the differences? Pros/cons I should be aware of? Anything my girls may esp. enjoy?

Am going to read some reviews but will need to make a quick decision. So any helpful info is appreciated. Thanks!

Currently booked on an upcoming 4 nt on the Monarch with my daughters (ages 10' date=' 17, 19). Found yesterday that I may have the opportunity to change to a 5 night on the Radiance or (less likely) a 7 nt on the Freedom the same week. Originally chose the Monarch because it best fit my budget constraints but could upgrade to the Radiance for not a lot more $$ and would also have 2 cabins instead of 1 on the Monarch. Would have one cabin on Freedom but 7 nights instead of 4.

One of my concerns with the Monarch is that 4 nights will seem too short (have done 7 nt cruises in the past) so it would be nice to have at least one extra night.

Have never cruised RCL before. Researched about the Monarch but know nothing about Radiance or Freedom. Anyone cruised both Monarch and one of these others? How do they compare? What are the differences? Pros/cons I should be aware of? Anything my girls may esp. enjoy?

Am going to read some reviews but will need to make a quick decision. So any helpful info is appreciated. Thanks![/quote']

I would definiatley go freedom, ecspecially with the kids. Monarch is nice and all but its not nearly as fun as the freedom. I would also choose radiance class ships over monarch. Monarch cruise was my least favorite of all my cruises, however I still had a good time on it.

I am totally biased so I would recommend the Radiance! With the kids with you, you really do need the biggest room you can find for your dollars. While I love the Monarch, the rooms are TINY. Go look at the size of your hall bathroom, now picture you and your three kids living in it. lol Book the Radiance!

Pamela

Tucson, AZ

Currently booked on an upcoming 4 nt on the Monarch with my daughters (ages 10' date=' 17, 19). Found yesterday that I may have the opportunity to change to a 5 night on the Radiance or (less likely) a 7 nt on the Freedom the same week. Originally chose the Monarch because it best fit my budget constraints but could upgrade to the Radiance for not a lot more $$ and would also have 2 cabins instead of 1 on the Monarch. Would have one cabin on Freedom but 7 nights instead of 4.

Am going to read some reviews but will need to make a quick decision. So any helpful info is appreciated. Thanks![/quote']

I think your girls will be more WOWed by Freedom. Compare the 3 ships on RCIs website. There are big differences. Also, I believe Freedom is now in drydock getting more features like the Oasis class and also some cosmetic fix ups.

We have a cruise booked on both Monarch and FREEDOM of the Seas!! My choice would be Freedom of the Seas. My daughters and I are booked for a 4-day on the Monarch next week, and we are booked for Freedom of the Seas in July. Monarch is the oldest ship in RCCL's fleet. The cabins are smaller, no Promenade, no WOW factor, and they don't have many of the activities available on Freedom. We booked Monarch because of schedule and it was really, really cheap. We needed a break for just us and the date and price was a perfect fit. We know we will get great service on Monarch and for 4 days of just relaxing, we are fine. We love RCCL and we knew to expect older, smaller. For July, it's the whole family, including 2 17-year olds. We booked Freedom because we know it will have the rock-climbing wall, ice-skating rink, Flowrider, basketball court, mini-golf and all the things they will enjoy. I vote FOS for your cruise choice.

My vote would be the Radiance class as we feel she represents RC's best class of ships. Monarch is the oldest, and Freedom is huge. Also, the cabins are smallest on the Monarch. Kids will probably like the Freedom the best since it has more amenities. Tough call on this one.

I have been on all three - Radiance is definitely the best and 5 nights is a nice starter cruise. I just came back from the Radiance to Cozumel and Costa Maya last week and it was a great cruise, the ship is clean and well run, the food was great. Freedom is a very large ship and was nice also, the Monarch is an older ship. Have a great time.

Been on all 3 classes and I would pick the Freedom,esp with kids........(and personally for me,that would be my choice).............Radiance second..........Monarch last.

Freedom just came out of drydock with many changes..

I would definiatley go freedom, ecspecially with the kids. Monarch is nice and all but its not nearly as fun as the freedom. I would also choose radiance class ships over monarch. Monarch cruise was my least favorite of all my cruises, however I still had a good time on it.
I agree, another vote for freedom!

i would pick the Freedom first, Radiance second and Monarch third

I agree with this as well. If the Freedom is not too much more expensive, and is a doable option, I would definitely go for this one. It will be much more fun for the kids.

The Freedom is a no brainer here if money isnt an issue. Its a longer cruise on a much newer and much larger ship with more activities for the kids.

I loved the Monarch and REALLY loved Radiance but to compare them to Freedom isnt comparing apples to apples from what I can tell.

I cant wait til my Freedom cruise. Im gonna find out for sure if "bigger is better" at least for me :)

Thanks everyone for your help and opinions. We had settled on changing to the Radiance - it had looked like I would be able to uprgrade to 2 cabins and a 5th night for only about $100 more. BUT it didn't work out. Would have been "guarantee cabins" to get the cheap last minute rate and since my oldest teen is only 19 she would have been required to be in a cabin next door to mine. RCI said they couldn't guarantee assignment of cabins and would have to deny boarding at port if the rooms weren't next door. Would have worked if she was 21.

Ah well, we will stick with our original plan of the Monarch and will, I'm sure, have a great time on our first RCI cruise.

Archived