Mosquitos?

kclav

You all have been so helpful with information and advice. This may be my last question before we hop on the ship. :confused:What can you tell me about the size of the mosquitos, how persistant they are, where will we encounter them...just by the water or everywhere, even in our hotel? :eek: Should we have repellant on when we land on Tahiti or just for outings. We have purchaced every kind of repellant imaginable but it won't help us if we aren't prepared.:mad:

What can you tell me about the size of the mosquitos,

They are so big, they can stand flat footed and poop in a dump truck. :rolleyes:

Honestly, we have never encountered mosquitoes. But, if you go deep in the forest, you will probably find some.

Like Texed we have never encountered them.

However, I heard from others who said they encountered them on an excursion in the Marquesas. I think Semolina said she was bitten in the Papeete Radisson.

I think it depends on the season though I have been in February and never had a problem. Also some people have been bitten on beaches by No see ums or sand flies ( not us) again.

You should spray if there is any chance of mozzies as there is dengue fever in some areas particularly Tahiti.

I really do think it depends on the season. You certainly don't need insect repellent at the airport! Take some along with you, and be prepared, especially at night, or in the jungly areas you may visit on excursions. I've also heard of sand fleas or no-seeums, but I've never encountered either. (April, May, June, December are the times of my visits.)

I really do think it depends on the season. You certainly don't need insect repellent at the airport! Take some along with you, and be prepared, especially at night, or in the jungly areas you may visit on excursions. I've also heard of sand fleas or no-seeums, but I've never encountered either. (April, May, June, December are the times of my visits.)

We are going to stay in a bungalo over the water in Tahiti when we land and I was worried that there would be bugs ...bugging us when we try to sleep on our first night in Tahiti.

They are so big, they can stand flat footed and poop in a dump truck. :rolleyes:

Honestly, we have never encountered mosquitoes. But, if you go deep in the forest, you will probably find some.

I think you must be related to my big brother!!! I have read that you need your "Off" spray with you at all times. If not mosquitos then what?

If you do the Walk of the Ancients, the Hike to Three Coconuts or any other excursions into the interior, I advise you to have insect repellant on you. We have stayed in Beach Bungalos twice and didn't need repellant but we were on Motus, Bora Bora and Ta'haa and the breeze might have kept them away or maybe they spray.

Never had a problem on the PG.

Just got back last night from 14 days in FP. Buy the highest concentration of DEET you can find and bring it.

We stayed 3 days ahead of time in a pension on Moorea and got bites everyday, morning, mid-day,night.

Used it in Huahini and didn't get bit on the Legendary Sites and Sacred Places tour (which was fabulous).

Got bites on Bora Bora on a day we rented a car and drove around. I assume I got them when we stopped at one of the art galleries or at Bloody Marys. Didn't anticipate that so didn't put on the DEET. Got 2, 1 on my back one on my leg as we were waiting for the tender in Bora Bora at 7:00 pm.

ON the private beach day, I heard there were some people who snorkeled over to the other motu and were swarmed by the mosquitos. The private island gets sprayed I understand. I didn't get any there.

On the Trail of the Ancients tour (which was fabulous by the way) I wore a long sleeved shirt that I got online that had mosquito repellent in it, long lightweight pants (the ones I wore on the plane), long socks and tennis shoes. I sprayed all my clothes with 95% DEET and then applied it where I was exposed. No bites but some people on that tour got them. Some people get bites and they don't swell and itch like they do for me. My husband just put a little DEET on his legs and arms and didn't get a thing.

Got 2 new souvenir bites from Papette at the pension we stayed at for one night. We were outside to use the free WIFI. Had to get up during the night to take some benadryl to sleep. My husband got none. Any bites he got in Moorea, didn't bother him at all.

Take DEET and use it. Take benadryl with you, not the topical kind it can make you desensitized to benadryl.

Had the best trip of our lives. When I am done with laundry and all, I'll post a review.

We were on the same cruise as trav25 and were also there on Moorea days before the cruise and did Tahiti for two days after. We did the 3 1/2 hour 3 Coconuts Hike in shorts and tee shirts and although we had bug spray we never had to use it there or anywhere else. P.S. The 3 Coconuts was great but we were glad our group was in top shape. At the lookout and turn around point (which was beautiful) even the guide was soaking wet from perspiration. Also take 2 bottles of water per person.

Archived