Balcony or Suite

MikeandAmy

Which would you choose?  

140 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you choose?

• Suite 1 cruise a year?
    • Balcony maybe 2 or 3 cruises a year?

Ok, I need some advice? Would you rather take a balcony at about $2000.00 for 2 people, or take suite, not a mini but a full suite for $5000.00? If we downgrade to the balcony we can go ahead and book another cruise, if we keep the suite, its the 1 cruise and thats it, until next year sometime. We have had both, the balcony and suite, and I will say we got spoiled big time in our suite the last cruise. My wife says downgrade, and lets get another cruise early next year, maybe Alaska??

So what would you do?

If the difference is that big, I say downgrade. This is me only. The reason I say this, is because price drops are usually for balconies and lower. I have yet to see a sale where prices drop for a suite. Does this make sense? I usually check their website occasionally, before final payment, and I always manage to find a sale going on between booking and final payment. (I usually book at least 5months in advance)

Don't get me wrong, I love suites, but only if the difference is not more than double for a balcony.

That's a tough one...another cruise AND Alaska? We cruised there a couple years ago and it was unbelievable. That said, however, I think you have to view this from what kind of experience do you want?

We just came back from the Jewel in an Owner's Suite. (750+ sq. ft.) And absolutely loved it but our expectations from a cruise is not the norm. We LIKE privacy, so we tend to stay in our room and on our balcony or in this case our balconies (plural).

If you enjoy being out and about and in the heat of the action, I'm not sure a suite would be worth it. After seeing the masses scrambling for lounge chairs, hearing the loud drunk college students and crying babies, we were kind of happy to have our slice of heaven.

If you like getting exclusive perks and really want to feel like VIP's then a suite is a great choice. We are very laid back folks but boy was it nice to be treated with such unbelievable service.

Here are some perks that came with the Jewel suite: Best personalized embarkation and disembarkation EVER, two private dining areas (One being Cagney's steakhouse which was open for breakfast and lunch only for suite guests), two lounge areas stocked daily with drinks, snacks, candy, cookies, etc., butler and concierge services.

For the suite you received unlimited soda, mixers, bottled plain and sparking waters, choice of three bottles of liquor, daily early evening appetizers and fresh fruit, a welcome bottle of "real" champagne from France, stocked expresso, coffee, cappuccino maker, and more.

A really great feature that Cunard's QM2 doesn't even have is the private cabana area on deck 13. The villas are on this level and it is beautiful. The hallway features rich wood, art and sculptures and the other side is all glass giving you a peek into the courtyard. You really feel like you are at a little resort. It can be accessed only by suite key holders. The roof retracts and the area features a small pool, hot tub, dining area, outdoor beds and lounge chairs and even a small space with some work out machines. It is blissful, quiet and very very well done. A stair case from there leads to a private sun deck.

In addition there is, priority disembarkation for all ports including tenders to the private island (We arrived hours before others). restaurant and excursions reservations made for you via the concierge, in room dining from any restaurant on board (extra charges may apply). Free drinks with the crew and captain. Personalized bridge tour (awesome) and there are others but too many to list.

The suite itself had EVERYTHING. The one balcony in the bow was superb. It was so cool to be able to be there as it felt like you were steering the ship yourself. So again, if you like your private time and spaces, want the luxury and the special touches then a suite is a good choice. If you like to partake in many of the ship's activities, appreciate the music and non-stop action at the pools, and partake in many excursions, then the cost for the extra space is not worth it.

That's a tough one...another cruise AND Alaska? We cruised there a couple years ago and it was unbelievable. That said, however, I think you have to view this from what kind of experience do you want?

We just came back from the Jewel in an Owner's Suite. (750+ sq. ft.) And absolutely loved it but our expectations from a cruise is not the norm. We LIKE privacy, so we tend to stay in our room and on our balcony or in this case our balconies (plural).

If you enjoy being out and about and in the heat of the action, I'm not sure a suite would be worth it. After seeing the masses scrambling for lounge chairs, hearing the loud drunk college students and crying babies, we were kind of happy to have our slice of heaven.

If you like getting exclusive perks and really want to feel like VIP's then a suite is a great choice. We are very laid back folks but boy was it nice to be treated with such unbelievable service.

Here are some perks that came with the Jewel suite: Best personalized embarkation and disembarkation EVER, two private dining areas (One being Cagney's steakhouse which was open for breakfast and lunch only for suite guests), two lounge areas stocked daily with drinks, snacks, candy, cookies, etc., butler and concierge services.

For the suite you received unlimited soda, mixers, bottled plain and sparking waters, choice of three bottles of liquor, daily early evening appetizers and fresh fruit, a welcome bottle of "real" champagne from France, stocked expresso, coffee, cappuccino maker, and more.

A really great feature that Cunard's QM2 doesn't even have is the private cabana area on deck 13. The villas are on this level and it is beautiful. The hallway features rich wood, art and sculptures and the other side is all glass giving you a peek into the courtyard. You really feel like you are at a little resort. It can be accessed only by suite key holders. The roof retracts and the area features a small pool, hot tub, dining area, outdoor beds and lounge chairs and even a small space with some work out machines. It is blissful, quiet and very very well done. A stair case from there leads to a private sun deck.

In addition there is, priority disembarkation for all ports including tenders to the private island (We arrived hours before others). restaurant and excursions reservations made for you via the concierge, in room dining from any restaurant on board (extra charges may apply). Free drinks with the crew and captain. Personalized bridge tour (awesome) and there are others but too many to list.

The suite itself had EVERYTHING. The one balcony in the bow was superb. It was so cool to be able to be there as it felt like you were steering the ship yourself. So again, if you like your private time and spaces, want the luxury and the special touches then a suite is a good choice. If you like to partake in many of the ship's activities, appreciate the music and non-stop action at the pools, and partake in many excursions, then the cost for the extra space is not worth it.

Yeah we had a suite on the Pearl back in November and LOVED IT! Especially the lasrger balcony and the perks of in room dining, and the butler service, etc, etc... We are very private people, we have always just stayed on our balcony to get sun, didnt matter if we were in a reg balcony or suite... I dont know what to do!!!! Very hard decision... :rolleyes:

I feel like when you fly, being downgraded from First Class to Coach... And I use to fly never but FC when I worked for the airlines, and now that I am no longer w/ them, flying coach KILLS me...

I would stay with the suite. We just returned from an owner's suite on the Epic and when i was looking at the crowds on the decks, especially around the pool, I was very glad to have our space, privacy, quiet and a bit of luxury. I personally would not cruise in anything else- it makes a huge difference to my enjoyment (and we really only cruise becuase our daughter is with us and she gets to meet other teens so we get peace and quiet and she can have some fun. Once she is not travelling with us we will make different choices! ( Sea Dream if we cruise at all as I find all these ships way too big and crowded overall) . Only you can decide what is important for your enjoyment- some prefer quantity over quality and others vice versa

I second everything "pisces1" said in an earlier post. We never use the pool areas because they are always too crowded. We enjoy having a suite because we spend more time in our room relaxing. We only cruise about once a year anyway.

not all suites get unlimited sodas, water etc. Only owners and above. We were in a penthouse with balcony on the Star, loved it, the regular perks are fantastic. The room superb, quiet, serene and subdued colors, all new due to the refurb the Star had last fall and summer. We were on deck 12 forward. Great experience. Would do it again in a heartbeat! But, to cruise 2-3 times in one year, I would have to have the regular balcony, and not get to eat in Cagney's, which was wonderful at breakfast and lunch. It was like our own private restaurant..

Or book the suite, watch the prices(ours came down of total of $1100.00 from June until Nov, right before final payment). Good deal.

I do not envy you trying to make this decision..Dona

No question for me. Take the balcony. We were in an Owner's suite last summer, and it was wonderful in every way. But I just don't understand folks who say they could never sail anything but a suite after having been in one. It's not like it's a milestone in your life or something :confused:

Book the balcony, take the extra cruises. The suite will be there next time you want it.

No question for me. Take the balcony. We were in an Owner's suite last summer, and it was wonderful in every way. But I just don't understand folks who say they could never sail anything but a suite after having been in one. It's not like it's a milestone in your life or something :confused:

Book the balcony, take the extra cruises. The suite will be there next time you want it.

You have a very good point... If I could just win the lotto, and not care, it would be much easier...

As people have indicated, you have "the one hand" and you also have "the other hand."

In a recent thread about " Epic Myth Busters" I tried to explain that I might choose one option in one set of circumstances and a very different one under different circumstances. I can't remember which "myth" dealt with this question of being able to "go back" to anything less than a suite...please check it out.

We had a courtyard villa on Epic earlier this month. It was the right choice for us because of the unusual factors we were considering. Next time, I might opt for an inside w/o a problem. Under most circumstances I would go for the balcony and forego the suite.

Suites all the time every time, but that's cuz we cruise once a yr. and RV other times. We like our tranquility and spend time in our suite. Also love to entertain so take advantage of our Butler (wish RCL would have Butlers!!!):( As far as we are concerned NCL has the best suite life!!:D

Ok, I need some advice? Would you rather take a balcony at about $2000.00 for 2 people, or take suite, not a mini but a full suite for $5000.00? If we downgrade to the balcony we can go ahead and book another cruise, if we keep the suite, its the 1 cruise and thats it, until next year sometime. We have had both, the balcony and suite, and I will say we got spoiled big time in our suite the last cruise. My wife says downgrade, and lets get another cruise early next year, maybe Alaska??

So what would you do?

We have been spoiled by the "Suite Life" also. :) However, as you can see by my signature, we are staying in an aft balcony on our upcoming cruise. It was an easy choice only because it is a 4 day cruise.

BUT on our Western Caribbean cruise we also booked an aft balcony because it was a last minute decision to take a cruise and we had not budgeted for a suite.

That being said...we were visited by the "Upsell Fairy" for that cruise and ended up in an AC suite for $300.00 more total:D

I know there is no way to know if you will get an upsell, but there is always a chance. Also, as stated by others, the prices may drop and you can upsell yourself.

Let us know what the outcome will be!!

We originally booked a balcony (for me, DH and DD age 10). I called last week, and was able to upgrade to a AFT family suite (not the kind with butler service, but larger nonetheless.) The price to upgrade was reasonable, but we were willing to keep the balcony if the price was out of reach. We decided not to wait on the upsell fairy, but to initiate the contact ourselves. I'm glad we did. This may be an option for you.

So what would you do?

I would find out the exact cost of Alaska balcony early next year (along with airfare) before making final decision. Pricing is so different given the ship and the itinerary, you might find you can not get the originally booked cruise and an Alaskan cruise (balconies) with the original 5 grand you have. On a side note, I looked at your signature...are you on the Sun 14 day Eastern/western trip? That is sort of like getting two cruises for that price and it might be easier to do in a suite!

Best wishes and good luck with your decision.

coka

I think everyone has different factors for making that decision. For me, I'd definitely choose once a year in a suite. I get a ton of vaca time, and could easily cruise 2-3 times a year, but I prefer the suite. I cruise with my mom and we need our own space and without the butler and concierge, I am our butler and concierge. So now, we both enjoy our cruise vaca much more. I support people in my day job, so I think that's why I like really being pampered on vaca! And NCL does it best, (of the mainstream lines).

BTW, there are exceptions. We just did a 3 night on Carnival in an outside cabin, all that was available. We still had an incredible time!

For ourselves we would stay with the suite for the perks. For us being able to eat in Cagney's for breakfast and lunch is just something that enables us to relax and enjoy. This perk is wonderful for everyone who has a suite but even more so for us as DH has a hard time with crowds due to the fact that the old saying of being blind in one eye and can't see well out of the other applies. In addition to that he has a hard time because of multiple knee surgeries and several forms of arthritis. So, being able to have the peace and quiet and be waited on in Cagney's is worth every penny! When we were younger and more active we would have been fine with a balcony or even less as we would have been joining in on all the festivities. Now, we really enjoy the quiet time and just chillin' in our suite balcony or courtyard (when the lovely fairy calls).

Now, in your case... if you believe that you would have a wonderful time in a balcony and can get away for 2 cruises I say go that way! But as someone suggested do check out the Alaska prices as they are much more expensive than say a Caribbean cruise. Also, airfare is probably only going to go higher for quite some time.

I would much rather take 2 cruises a year than pay the extra for a suite. We love the balcony too and find that an aft balcony cabin (Jewel 10168) works perfectly. It's a bit more than a regular balcony, less than a suite and has a huge balcony, quiet and a fabulous view! We're in 10168 in 33 days and can't wait!!:D

I won't cruise NCL unless staying on a suite (minimum AC). However on HAL (my other preferred cruiseline) I will almost always choose a balcony cabin instead of a suite. On HAL you can get almost all the same amenities/services regardless of your cabin category (for example full breakfast/dinner served in cabin) so I don't see the added value of a suite (except for the added sq ft) . On the other hand the suite life on NCL is really really sweet. :D I just could not sail on NCL in a balcony cabin knowing what I'm missing.

After reading all the comments I was just wonder how this poll would differ if it was posted on a RCL thread:rolleyes: We also stay in their suites, but to me they can't compare with NCL's!! Just thinking about the perks on each line and IMO- alot more would say balcony and more cruises with RCL. Just a thought!

I think everyone has different factors for making that decision. For me, I'd definitely choose once a year in a suite. I get a ton of vaca time, and could easily cruise 2-3 times a year, but I prefer the suite. I cruise with my mom and we need our own space and without the butler and concierge, I am our butler and concierge. So now, we both enjoy our cruise vaca much more. I support people in my day job, so I think that's why I like really being pampered on vaca! And NCL does it best, (of the mainstream lines).

BTW, there are exceptions. We just did a 3 night on Carnival in an outside cabin, all that was available. We still had an incredible time!

You took the words right out of my mouth. Experienced the suite life just a few weeks ago - I also travel with my Mom and let me tell you I enjoyed being taken care of by our wonderful butler, Nelson. Sailing with my grandchildren I might choose a different category but from now on Mom and I are going suite.

So what would you do?

Let me say we are prob. in the minority.... We had a suite for our Sept 2010 cruise and it was... alright.... loved the balcony and size... we booked a regular balcony and then upgraded when the AD suite prices came down (only 500 more than the regular balcony) - right before final payment and were super excited to try the suite life... DH did not really care for Cagneys for breakfast or lunch and we never even called the butler or even heard from the concierge, so the additional cost was only for the size of the room... nice but not worth the additional cost that you would pay (IMHO)... book the balcony, keep checking the prices and if they come done to a reasonable amt.. upgrade.... seems like 3K is a lot for some additional perks that you may or may not use

Archived