Opinions - Disney or Carnival

milton333

Which would you pick?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you pick?

• Carnival
    • Disney
    • Other (please explain)

We're already thinking about our 2012 vacation :o DS will be 2. We are looking at two options, and wondered about other people's opinions.

One is a Vista Suite on one of the Carnival Spirit-class ships. We're looking at it because it's a HUGE aft balcony that wraps around - you could seriously fit like 20 people out there. It has a living room, bathroom and dressing room, and a separate bedroom area.

We figure that DS will still be napping a lot and obviously still early to bed, so the balcony will give us someplace to be. With no kiddie pool on the Carnival ship, the huge balcony would let us bring a blow-up kiddie pool for him to play in. He'd be old enough to do Camp Carnival, which I understand is free of charge during the day on sea days, but for-fee on port days and nights after 10 pm. This trip has 4 port days where we'd plan to beach it with DS, it's a Western Carib itinerary.

We don't really do MDR dining, so would do buffet, pool-side grill, and room service for meals. There's the kids' club, but no kids' themey events and no kiddie pool.

We found a cruise on Disney Magic for a comparable price to the Carnival suite (Disney would be in a room with a much smaller balcony). DH loves Disney, and would get a kick out of the ship. With DS being an early riser and no one to help us out, we're not really into the night life anyway, and don't really gamble.

We like how neat and well-organized Disney parks are, expect a similar attention to detail on the ship. Figure that DS would probably enjoy the characters, even if he doesn't remember this trip. DS is too young for the free kids' club, but there's a nursery for a minimal hourly fee. Four sea days on this itinerary, plus a stop at Disney's private island (which is supposed to be really nice).

My concern with Disney is twofold: there seems to be more of an emphasis on the rotating MDR concept for meals (we don't do MDR), and smaller balcony. But comparably more on the ship for DS to do, including a splash area for non-potty-trained kids.

What would you do? Prices are within $150 of each other for our party, so they're cost-comparable. Airfare is comparable.

If prices were comparable, I'd do Disney in a heartbeat. The waiters are so good with the little ones in the MDR you may want to give them a try. If your little one can't sit through it you can always leave. Castaway Cay is awesome and my kids loved the Disney Shows and Characters. And if he enjoys the nursery at all, take advantage of it and go to Palo for an adult dinner. My favorite place to dine at sea.

I love love Carnival. Never sailed Disney since we only cruise in June & their prices are ridiculous compared to Carnival. However, I voted for Disney since you mentioned there isn't much of a price difference. Disney will cater to your son a lot more. Carnival is very family-friendly, and their cabins are generally bigger. But your son may be interested in seeing the characters, enjoying the kiddie pool, and the shows. I'm sure Disney's kids clubs are slightly better than Carnival's, even though Carnival has an excellent kids program. Disney is just clearly more geared towards families & children, so that would be the winner if it were me.

We're already thinking about our 2012 vacation :o DS will be 2. We are looking at two options, and wondered about other people's opinions.

One is a Vista Suite on one of the Carnival Spirit-class ships. We're looking at it because it's a HUGE aft balcony that wraps around - you could seriously fit like 20 people out there. It has a living room, bathroom and dressing room, and a separate bedroom area.

We figure that DS will still be napping a lot and obviously still early to bed, so the balcony will give us someplace to be. With no kiddie pool on the Carnival ship, the huge balcony would let us bring a blow-up kiddie pool for him to play in. He'd be old enough to do Camp Carnival, which I understand is free of charge during the day on sea days, but for-fee on port days and nights after 10 pm. This trip has 4 port days where we'd plan to beach it with DS, it's a Western Carib itinerary.

We don't really do MDR dining, so would do buffet, pool-side grill, and room service for meals. There's the kids' club, but no kids' themey events and no kiddie pool.

We found a cruise on Disney Magic for a comparable price to the Carnival suite (Disney would be in a room with a much smaller balcony). DH loves Disney, and would get a kick out of the ship. With DS being an early riser and no one to help us out, we're not really into the night life anyway, and don't really gamble.

We like how neat and well-organized Disney parks are, expect a similar attention to detail on the ship. Figure that DS would probably enjoy the characters, even if he doesn't remember this trip. DS is too young for the free kids' club, but there's a nursery for a minimal hourly fee. Four sea days on this itinerary, plus a stop at Disney's private island (which is supposed to be really nice).

My concern with Disney is twofold: there seems to be more of an emphasis on the rotating MDR concept for meals (we don't do MDR), and smaller balcony. But comparably more on the ship for DS to do, including a splash area for non-potty-trained kids.

What would you do? Prices are within $150 of each other for our party, so they're cost-comparable. Airfare is comparable.

Why do you think there is no kiddie pool on the Carnival Spirit class of ships. There most certainly is ...

This is from the Carnival Miracle ...

D9-1.jpg

And this is from the Carnival Spirit ...

Poolkids.jpg

I meant no pool for my kiddo - he will not be potty trained. Carnival does not allow non-potty-trained kids in any pool on any of their ships. It may not be strictly enforced, but they don't have the right filtration and it's not allowed. Disney does expressly allow swim diapers in the splash zone, they have the filtration for it.

I've never sailed CCL but have done twice on DCL and loved it. But in your situation, since your son is only 2, I'd say go to CCL now and enjoy your aft balcony at a good price. When your son is about 6, by then hopefully the price on the newer DCL Dream/Fantasy will be a bit more reasonable, then cruise Disney. Their aft balcony may not be as big as CCL but this is the view from #10664, taken from another thread.

IMG_0524.JPG

I love DCL, but after seeing the youtube of the cabin you want on CCL, I would definately go with Carnival for this cruise. You do Disney next time when your child will appreciate it more. But to be honest my kids like CCL kids club better. But I love Disney for their customer service, fantastic shows and overall Disney feel. And if you do DCL, it really is a nice experience changing dining rooms and cuisine every evening. Good luck and happy cruising!

Silly poll, its like asking would you prefer a mercedes C class or ford fusion, or whatever other analogy you want.

You are talking such different cost that it really makes no sense to compare.

If all things are equal, ports, sail time, etc. I'll pick Disney everytime, but sadly they have few ships and limited sailing to the port I'm interested in.

One of course can find more epensive cabin on Carnival to match the cheapest on Disney. If the debate is cabin space then of course Carnival. If it is all the disney touch; characters, themed ship/shows, rotating dining rooms etc. Disney wins all the time. IMHO the most disgusting thing about Carnival is the "fun" push, hairy man, dancing waiters on the tables ( my never forgotten fun moments ). My Disney moments, timeless uncrowded time with Micky, Daffy, and other characters, neat Disney movie and shows. All comes down to what you value for hte $ you spend.

Silly poll, its like asking would you prefer a mercedes C class or ford fusion, or whatever other analogy you want.

You are talking such different cost that it really makes no sense to compare....

It isn't such a different cost. OP said $150. difference. Before looking at the youtube video I thought I'd vote Disney; however, upon seeing all that space in the cabin & the wonderful balcony, I voted for Carnival. As others have said, the baby won't remember the characters. You, on the other hand, will have a great deal of room for him to wander in the cabin & spread out the much needed baby items. I think you'll really enjoy that balcony. Save Disney for when he'll be a little more into it. For all you know at age 2 the characters may scare him and he won't even want them near him.

It's also not the cheapest room on a Disney cruise - it's an aft balcony, versus an aft suite on Carnival. The Disney concierge rooms are way out of my price range, true, but also have a lot more perks than a suite on Carnival (which is really just more room, plus priority embark), so Carnival suite v. Disney balcony isn't a radically different comparison in terms of room category.

Of course they're apples and oranges, that's why the question - different pluses and minuses for each, just wondering what others would prioritize higher (huge room and massive balcony with included kids' club, versus smaller room and balcony and extra fee for nursery but with the presumed advantages of the Disney touch).

Thanks to everyone who has expressed an opinion.

Having just got off a Disney cruise, I would say it really depends on if you think your son would like the characters. The rotating main dining room was fun for us (the adults) but my kids really didn't care. In fact, my kids almost missed the few shows during dinner b/c they didn't happen until 90 minutes after dinner started and by then my kids were itching to leave. Dinners were way too long for my kids. The splash pool was nice, but I think he'd enjoy a baby pool just as much. Castaway Cay is gorgeous. With all said, I would do another Disney Cruise in a heartbeat, but mainly b/c my children LOVED the characters. They waited in line for pictures and hugs and got a lot of joy out of interacting with them.

However, if I thought my kids wouldn't care too much about the characters, I'd choose the Carnival Cruise over Disney.

I agree that at the age of 2 your child won't know where he is or care. Pick the ship you like better. Personally I would take the larger balcony.

My 2 year old grandson was terrified of the characters on the Disney cruise we went on.

Don't take a two year old on Disney. Wait until she is 3. On Disney they put the babies in with the two year olds if you use the daycare and its a little crying nursery. So Disney is a waste for this age. At three it opens up a whole world to you. Why pay the high price for Disney? She may be fearful of the characters and have very little knowledge of Disney movies. I took my son when he was 6 and he had an absolute ball. Now he is 10 and is over it. The window of 3-6 is probably perfect.

If you do Carnival or NCL they do offer sitting for 2 year olds.

Unless things have changed very recently the only time you would have to pay a fee for your little one to stay in Camp Carnival is after 10pm. They offer in camp babysitting from 10pm to 3am for a fee. If DS isn't potty trained you need to take diapers, wipes, etc with him to camp. But, the counselors will change him.

I agree with several of the other posters that DCL would be more appreciated by your DS when he is a little older. When my kids were toddlers they did not like the large characters. That would have made a cruise on DCL very scary.

I vote for the Vista suite on Carnival. Whichever one you choose, relax and enjoy your cruise!

We took my DD age 4 and DS age almost 2 on Disney last year May and they did not enjoy it as much as they do a Carnival cruise. The nursery is more geared towards infants with bouncy seats and swings and it is more babyistting than activities. MY Ds was board so they would call me that he was crying and didnt want to stay. Camp Carnival has games, face painting, silly dances, coloring t-shirts and crafts, pretend play, dress up role playing etc etc etc. I think it is more interactive for a 2 year-old and he loved it. Disney shows are better, they are amazing but my DS loves Carnival shows too, the dancing and costumes and music. He was afraid of the characters and wouldnt go near them so that was a wash on Disney. If I had to choose, it would be Carnival!

Archived