Rhapsody M&M: 45 min. Commercial

Just back from March 6 (18 nights) Rhapsody of the Seas Australia/New Zealand cruise. This isn't a cruise review, but I will say that it was enjoyable & I marked "Excellent" on everything except the Shore Excursions on the Comment Card.

The reason for writing this is what happened during our long awaited (I had started the Roll Call 18 months earlier) Meet & Mingle. It was scheduled by RCI for our first Sea Day, which was our 3rd day onboard. The appointed time was 12-12:45PM. I don't know when they were shortened to 45 minutes. Anyway, it took place in the Viking Crown Lounge, which is a beautiful setting, and we had a private area because there were about 40 of us. At first glance, I was impressed by the provisions RCI had made: fruit drinks, hors d'oeuvres, gifts of hanging name badge holders/wallets, 2 servers, and a raffle.

Some of us arrived a few minutes early and managed to meet a few of our online friends. At 12 noon, the Cruise Director, Dennis, and his Assistant Cruise Director, Dan, both appeared. Wow, we must really rate, huh? Dan introduced Dennis. (I noticed during the rest of the cruise that Dennis constantly required a special introduction/entrance.) Dennis made a short opening comment, then herded us to another area (without seats) for the raffle. It was difficult for some of the people with mobility issues, but everyone got there. I later realized that the reason we were moved was for the benefit of the Photo Dept. so they could get a group photo of us to try to sell to us during the cruise.

The raffle was fun, but it, and the photo positioning, took too long and we were anxious to return to the original area and get to the "Mingle" part. Well, when we did, Dennis & Dan followed us back there and Dennis took the microphone again. He went into what was basically a long commercial for RCI, which took up the whole rest of the time set aside for us! While he was talking, and talking, I told Dan that Dennis was using all of our time up and that we did not come to listen to him. I told him that many of us had been corresponding and looking forward to this face-to-face meeting for over a year. I wanted him to tell his boss so that the next group's M&M wouldn't be ruined, too. I doubt that he told Dennis anything because he just looked at me with a sheepish smile and said nothing.

I wrote on my Comment Card about how I felt about Dennis's hijacking of our Meet & MIngle. A woman phoned me from RCI yesterday and thanked me for my "excellent" ratings and asked if I had anything to add to my comments. I said "No" because I had said it all on the card. She thanked me again and then hung up. I guess they really read those cards, but I didn't get an apology and I don't feel any better about the incident just because they bothered to call me.

For me, the Meet & Mingle was a real disappointment, and I didn't even want to see Dennis after that. Of course, it's not possible to avoid the Cruise Director.

Honestly, if this is the new set program

for RCI's Meet & Mingles, I don't think I'll register for any more of them. This wasn't my first one, but it may have been my last one.

Rosie

While he was talking, and talking, I told Dan that Dennis was using all of our time up and that we did not come to listen to him. I told him that many of us had been corresponding and looking forward to this face-to-face meeting for over a year. I wanted him to tell his boss so that the next group's M&M wouldn't be ruined, too.

Wow. :eek:

Just back from March 6 (18 nights) Rhapsody of the Seas Australia/New Zealand cruise. This isn't a cruise review, but I will say that it was enjoyable & I marked "Excellent" on everything except the Shore Excursions on the Comment Card.

The reason for writing this is what happened during our long awaited (I had started the Roll Call 18 months earlier) Meet & Mingle. It was scheduled by RCI for our first Sea Day, which was our 3rd day onboard. The appointed time was 12-12:45PM. I don't know when they were shortened to 45 minutes. Anyway, it took place in the Viking Crown Lounge, which is a beautiful setting, and we had a private area because there were about 40 of us. At first glance, I was impressed by the provisions RCI had made: fruit drinks, hors d'oeuvres, gifts of hanging name badge holders/wallets, 2 servers, and a raffle.

Some of us arrived a few minutes early and managed to meet a few of our online friends. At 12 noon, the Cruise Director, Dennis, and his Assistant Cruise Director, Dan, both appeared. Wow, we must really rate, huh? Dan introduced Dennis. (I noticed during the rest of the cruise that Dennis constantly required a special introduction/entrance.) Dennis made a short opening comment, then herded us to another area (without seats) for the raffle. It was difficult for some of the people with mobility issues, but everyone got there. I later realized that the reason we were moved was for the benefit of the Photo Dept. so they could get a group photo of us to try to sell to us during the cruise.

The raffle was fun, but it, and the photo positioning, took too long and we were anxious to return to the original area and get to the "Mingle" part. Well, when we did, Dennis & Dan followed us back there and Dennis took the microphone again. He went into what was basically a long commercial for RCI, which took up the whole rest of the time set aside for us! While he was talking, and talking, I told Dan that Dennis was using all of our time up and that we did not come to listen to him. I told him that many of us had been corresponding and looking forward to this face-to-face meeting for over a year. I wanted him to tell his boss so that the next group's M&M wouldn't be ruined, too. I doubt that he told Dennis anything because he just looked at me with a sheepish smile and said nothing.

I wrote on my Comment Card about how I felt about Dennis's hijacking of our Meet & MIngle. A woman phoned me from RCI yesterday and thanked me for my "excellent" ratings and asked if I had anything to add to my comments. I said "No" because I had said it all on the card. She thanked me again and then hung up. I guess they really read those cards, but I didn't get an apology and I don't feel any better about the incident just because they bothered to call me.

For me, the Meet & Mingle was a real disappointment, and I didn't even want to see Dennis after that. Of course, it's not possible to avoid the Cruise Director.

Honestly, if this is the new set program

for RCI's Meet & Mingles, I don't think I'll register for any more of them. This wasn't my first one, but it may have been my last one.

Rosie

Rosie,

I agree...Hope you enjoyed the remainder of your cruise. As you know we had to leave the cruise early.

Steve and Karen

Rosie,

I agree...Hope you enjoyed the remainder of your cruise. As you know we had to leave the cruise early.

Steve and Karen

Hello Steve & Karen:

Thanks for the verification. We really enjoyed our brief meeting with you. I hope you are doing OK. You could email me if you like.

Rosie

Ours was an hour and a half on allure and was plenty of time to sit and talk.. It is terrible that they did not give you time to talk. It is great that you said something. Just hope RCL does something about it!

Unless they booted you out at the end of their spiel or there was some other pressing event about to take place, I would have enjoyed the refreshments, suffered through their "commercial" and then stayed and mingled with the folks who had signed up. We often hold an informal meet and mingle at sailaway and by the time the official meeting takes place we usually know most of the people from our roll call already. I certainly wouldn't let them hijack the meeting without saying something, and I would still make sure that we made time to visit and meet our fellow CCers regardless of the staff's behavior.

Unless they booted you out at the end of their spiel or there was some other pressing event about to take place, I would have enjoyed the refreshments, suffered through their "commercial" and then stayed and mingled with the folks who had signed up. We often hold an informal meet and mingle at sailaway and by the time the official meeting takes place we usually know most of the people from our roll call already. I certainly wouldn't let them hijack the meeting without saying something, and I would still make sure that we made time to visit and meet our fellow CCers regardless of the staff's behavior.

There were many activities planned that day that started at 1:00PM. People had plans made and didn't know beforehand that they weren't going to be able to talk to each other during the "alotted time". I think the informal meeting at the sailway is a good idea. Sounds good for next time. I did tell the assistant cruise director how I felt while it was happening. I think we were all just shocked that Dennis was taking up all of our time and maybe we were too polite to go up to him and interupt.

Rosie

On Mariner's last run out of LA, we did an informal M&M on day one in the Schooner bar. Pretty much took the place over to be honest.

They did have an event come up while we were there. A "First Time Cruisers" orientation actually, which I thought somewhat laughable, but someone may have gotten something useful out of it.

In any case the CC crowd wsa good about it and got out of their way. The regular M&M was well over 100 folks making it the largest M&M I've seen so far. The Viking Crown was standing room only.

On Mariner's last run out of LA, we did an informal M&M on day one in the Schooner bar. Pretty much took the place over to be honest.

They did have an event come up while we were there. A "First Time Cruisers" orientation actually, which I thought somewhat laughable, but someone may have gotten something useful out of it.

In any case the CC crowd wsa good about it and got out of their way. The regular M&M was well over 100 folks making it the largest M&M I've seen so far. The Viking Crown was standing room only.

I think informal get together is the new way to go on RCI. I gladly would have traded the food, drinks, gifts, prizes, and staff members presence to actually have had the whole time to talk to my fellow Cruise Critic members. I feel like RCI "bought" our attention, then used our "indebtness" to promote their line, new ships, and the potential reward of continued loyalty.

Rosie

Pretty much what I had experienced at M&M's. Stopped going to them.

Maybe RCI listened to some of the complaints I´ve seen here about the M&M´s being not worth going, because nothing happens there and the crew is not entertaining .....

I think the M&M´s are a good hit or miss and totally depend on the group.

I´ve been to M&M´s with everybody just sitting around and waiting to be entertained by the staff and they left once their act was over. Others people had activities planned already and chatted a lot on the RC.

I think if you have an active RC and planned stuff for the M&M, work with the onboard staff and have them cater to your plans. If it´s a rather quiet RC group, be glad to have the CD staff do some action;)

I think informal get together is the new way to go on RCI. I gladly would have traded the food, drinks, gifts, prizes, and staff members presence to actually have had the whole time to talk to my fellow Cruise Critic members. I feel like RCI "bought" our attention, then used our "indebtness" to promote their line, new ships, and the potential reward of continued loyalty.

Rosie

Still not sure why you couldn't have just scheduled another time together to do the things you wanted. Some appreciate the refreshments, gifts and the opportunity to get some new or updated information about the fleet. Not defending the hogging of the entire time by this particular CD but it has not been the norm on any of our cruise M&Ms. Actually the quality and value of most M&Ms, in my opinion, depends upon the degree of activity that took place on the roll call before the cruise and the personalities involved. An m&m, for the most part, depends on the people who attend for its success or failure.

Rosie

You're correct, I have found that it is good to schedule an informal gathering just prior to the muster so that everyone can get acquainted without too many distractions. Meet & Mingle gatherings can turn out to be quite different depending upon the passengers or staff. I have seen many get bogged down with gift exchanges, preparations for cabin crawls and the like. Some of the best have been meetings in the Pool Bar with plenty of time to get together before people make other plans or have other commitments.

Still not sure why you couldn't have just scheduled another time together to do the things you wanted. Some appreciate the refreshments, gifts and the opportunity to get some new or updated information about the fleet. Not defending the hogging of the entire time by this particular CD but it has not been the norm on any of our cruise M&Ms. Actually the quality and value of most M&Ms, in my opinion, depends upon the degree of activity that took place on the roll call before the cruise and the personalities involved. An m&m, for the most part, depends on the people who attend for its success or failure.

+1, I completely agree.

If some don't want too much involvement from the staff, why not just meet in your own spot and not worry about a M&M.?:confused:

Sorry-but, if you are using a room they provide, with trinkets they provide and munchies they provide-of course they are trying to make it work for the company also. If that be a commercial type pitch-why not??

Maybe RCI listened to some of the complaints I´ve seen here about the M&M´s being not worth going, because nothing happens there and the crew is not entertaining .....

Interesting. I was thinking the same thing. I've been to several M&Ms but don't prioritize going to them. Why? Because rarely do the staff say much beyond welcome, and I've never been to one that the CD showed up. I would have enjoyed a M&M where the CD talked.

OK .. OK .. I know. It's me. Yes, the M&M is supposed to be a social event, not a show or performance. I fully understand OP's frustration at having the socializing time curtailed by too much passive activity.

Maybe the perfect M&M is something with a catalyst. I know I can't just go into a room full of strangers and "mingle." There needs to be *something* that gets people introduced and find the common bonds. Maybe if the CD talked a bit and then they had some lame contests like who came the farthest, who cruised on the Song ships, etc. Half that and then half people talking to each other by starting, "Say, my cousin lives in Bumfudge, too!".

On our last cruise there was a "Mystery Theater" on board. Our Meet and Mingle was "Wham Bam, Thank-you Mam"... "here's your hat, what's your hurry" event.. They needed the lounge for the other event after ours and we had to LEAVE. Most of us were disappointed in it, but we all had a great cruise and continued to see each other throughout the cruise

Rosie

Hey Rosie,hows you and Ozzie going.At least we did have a good time,hope you have got Ozzie hard at work again.Take care

Dennis

Thanks for the heads up. The last time we were on the RoS the meet and mingle was excellent. Well I guess at least we know what we might be in for in about 11 days time! Maybe changes will have been made.....wishful thinking.

It's possible that major staff changes have taken place. On disembarkation morning, we ate breakfast in the dining room. We were seated with 6 other people, one of which was a guest lecturer onboard for our cruise only. I did not bring up the subject, but he started talking about what he had heard about staff changes for the next cruise. Of course we all knew that the Captain was leaving the ship. But this man said that Dennis was going to the head office in Florida. Also, that Dennis had only been onboard for our cruise, and that he was filling in for the new Cruise Director who hadn't made it to the ship for our cruise. The reason why she wasn't onboard was not clear. I have no idea if this information is correct, only that you may have a different cruise Director, and probably a new Captain. No worries, though. As I first mentioned on this board, I marked "Excellent" for everything except the Shore Excursions, which seemed plagued by disorganization on the part of the tour operators, not by Royal Caribbean. The M&M was the only "con" for me.

Rosie

Archived