2/27/11 Infinity South America cruise review with lots of photos

MVPinBoynton

I have finally finished redoing all of the captions I lost on the photo album for this cruise. This is the link to our Snapfish album. Click here. The album contains larger versions of many of the pictures used in the review as well as other pictures that are not included in the review. Enjoy!

Thanks for sharing this link. I enjoyed your photographs of the areas we will be visiting next year on the Infinity. Very beautiful pictures and wonderful review.

Thanks for sharing this link. I enjoyed your photographs of the areas we will be visiting next year on the Infinity. Very beautiful pictures and wonderful review.

Pam,

Glad you enjoyed the review and photos. In addition to Carol's album, I have a SmugMug album that has lots of photos, including many that weren't in the review in full size. So if you want to overdose on photos, enjoy.

http://mvpinboynton.smugmug.com/Vacation/South-America/16538303_Dt932r#!i=1245234296&k=Bkv3E

Thank you for sharing. We're booked on the Star Princess in January 2013. I had contemplated buying a full frame SLR for the trip but after seeing your wonderful photos, it seems most of the glacier and penguin photos will necessitate a good telephoto lens.

How did you keep your camera dry in certain sections of Iguazu Falls? I may borrow my friend's waterproof point-n-shoot camera for use in the wetter areas.

That's I like my Canon 7D. The crop factor combined with a telephoto brings things in nice an close. At the falls, I used a heavy duty gallon baggie with a hole cut out for the lens. It worked great, although you do need to move quickly when a mist comes your way.

MVP-

I purchased the Nikon 28-300mm lens last year. So instead of buying the Nikon D800, maybe I'll just look into buying a teleconverter and use the savings for a D7000 for use as a backup body.

I'll bring a few gallon size baggies. Just have to leave the lens hood off on the days when we are in the Falls. Those watertight housings sold to scuba divers are way expensive.

Easter Island is on our post-cruise itinerary so we'll be able to see the Maoia statues in their "natural" habitat.

Thanks for the photography equipment tips!

• 2 weeks later...

What an excellent review with such great pictures. How was the sailing as far a turbulence ? We do not mind a bit of turbulence here and there but if it becomes the norm for an extended period of time that may be a show stopper. This is on our bucket list but not at the expense of rough seas.

Please let me know how the sailing was and if there is a good and bad time to do this trip ?

Dave

We have just posted a review to our website of our recently completed South America cruise on the Celebrity Infinity. It was an absolutely wonderful cruise to some most interesting ports. We also took a pre-cruise trip to incredibly beautiful Iguazu Falls. The review is located at www.thepreismans.com.

Dave,

I am glad you enjoyed the review. We are just completing a Med cruise and have not been able to reply sooner. This was a very mild cruise other than one afternoon and evening after we rounded Cape Horn; which was pretty mild. The main area of rough seas normally around the Horn; which doesn't last that long.

Thanks for the reply. I have heard stories about rough waters and not being able to stop at the Falkland Islands because of it. I would hate to spend that kind of $ and have rough seas too often. I have heard about going around Cape Horn and if that was the only rough time I could live with that.

That's why I asked if there is a good or bad time to go ? Jan & Feb seem to be the most poopular and some cruise lines do not even offer it beyond those months.

Dave,

I am glad you enjoyed the review. We are just completing a Med cruise and have not been able to reply sooner. This was a very mild cruise other than one afternoon and evening after we rounded Cape Horn; which was pretty mild. The main area of rough seas normally around the Horn; which doesn't last that long.

• 3 weeks later...
We have just posted a review to our website of our recently completed South America cruise on the Celebrity Infinity. It was an absolutely wonderful cruise to some most interesting ports. We also took a pre-cruise trip to incredibly beautiful Iguazu Falls. The review is located at www.thepreismans.com.

That was great. Thank you

• 9 months later...

We are going on the Infinity for this same around the cruise in early 2014. Your website review is truly outstanding in all respects. Thank you so much. Seeing your amazing photos, I almost feel that i have done the cruise and can move on to somewhere else. Posting the menus as you did was truly inspired. And thanks for the tour tips.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived