Help - Royal Wedding Day Disaster

Minuette

We're taking my elderly disabled mother on her first cruise (Venturer from Southampton 22-29 April 2011) and she was so excited. But we've just heard that disembarkation is between 9.00am - 11.00am which means we'll never get her home to London in time to see the Royal Wedding live. She's very upset and wants to cancel. She's of the generation where these things matter.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Is there any way of getting off the ship earlier? Won't most of the UK passengers be scrambling to get off the ship early as well? Is it going to be chaos? Anyone know a hotel in Southampton that will let us check in at 9.00am?

You could maybe NOT put your bags outside your cabins the night before. Then as soon as the ships docks and the walk ramp is down make a bolt. If you have parked in the dock car park you can be in your car and away by 9.15 or so.

But not sure if you will be home for the start time of 11am though.....

You can self disembark from around 7am but in order to do this you have to carry ALL your luggage off with you so maybe not very practicable for you.

Could you not set your TV recorder?

Brian

2 things i can think of. Throw yourself on the mercy of reception staff on the ship, and see if they will let you disembark earlier..mind you we have always been off by about 9.30am, usually get home late morning and we live in Buckinghamshire. Other alternative is to book a hotel room for the night before (28th) and the day (29th) then when you disembark you can go straight to the hotel and straight into your room(s) Might be useful to explain to them though what you are doing ,so they do not wonder why you are not around on the night of the 28th and cancel your booking.

We will be boarding Ventura on the 29th, we can tell you what happened!

You can request an early slot to disembark and keep going to reception to change for even earlier ones bit by bit. Think in reality you would be on the dockside for 9 to 9.30 so depends how fast you can get home.

Can you not explain that these marriages are only temporary and there will be another along shortly? I am going to France to avoid the whole fiasco.

:D

Meanine!!!!!

Do you have enough time to get to a nearby pub? I'm sure that many pubs will set up giant soccer match type screens.

or you could try the royal wedding street party in Guildhall square

http://www.southampton.gov.uk/news-events/events/allevents/royal-wedding-street-party.asp

Southampton City Council has designated the newly refurbished Guildhall Square to be the venue to hold a free mass Street Party for everyone between 10am - 4pm.

You are all invited to watch the broadcast of the Royal Wedding Celebrations on a Big Screen from 10am (the Wedding is at 11am). Then afterwards enjoy your own street party in the Square.

I'll be missing it - we're taking advantage of the extra bank holiday to take a short cruise :D - I'll still be packing when it starts:p

Just a reminder though that if you want to try the early self disembarkation be aware your party must be able to carry their own bags from their cabin into the baggage hall where trolleys are available. There is no baggage assistance whatsoever for those choosing to self disembark.

On Azura last year I saw an elderly couple really struggling with their bags down a corridor. The old dear couldn't carry a thing so hubby was going back and forth moving each of their 4 bags forward a few feet at a time. A couple were talking to them to see if they wanted help but they would still be on their own once they walked off the ship. It really isn't worth it unless you have little baggage or are very fit.

Thanks, everyone! Some things I never thought of, e.g. pubs and thanks, KarenR_UK, for the Southampton Street Party information. That sounds fun! We'll think carefully about early disembarkation, although we've got a wheelchair to push so you're right, cruiseluvva, kevinyork and the english lady, we'd better pack light.

Thranite, I do take your point and it made me laugh, but when you're in your eighties it's rather unlikely that there is ever going to be 'another one along in a minute' as you put it.

She's seen every royal wedding live since 1947. For her, recording it on Sky isn't quite the same thing. I just thought there must be a way to make it happen.

Self disembarkation seems a no-no then if you have a wheelchair to push as well,. As mentioned you have to be able to carry off all your luggage as well yourself as porters won't be around at 7-7.30am in the morning.

Perhaps a stop off at a pub on the way home to watch it live on -screen is the best idea.?

In some resorts and airports, it's possible to book a day room....do you think that somewhere like the De Vere in Southampton, or Holiday Inn, would do that?

You could take a taxi to the hotel, have a day in the room, or even in the lounge, if there's a TV there, and a nap on the bed, meals etc...and one or two of you could go out shopping....;)

Jo.

Archived