Canadian Cruise Embarkation

world~citizen

Rafinmd, I was going to make a tongue-in-cheek comment about the Maasdam coming through the Welland Canal and down to Detroit/Windsor just for me.

(At least it's more realistic than goin' over those pesky Falls...they don't build barrels :eek: that big.)

But, seriously, world~citizen has nailed the numbers, IMO. Sailings catering to U.S. residents will consistently feature 10% Canadians.

Patricia, I think world-citizen's numbers are reasonable, but I don't think that's really the issue. IMHO, the real issue is the attractiveness of itineraries from potential ports of embarkation. It's not really that big a deal for citizens of either country to cross the border, and probably makes no difference whatsoever to say Aussis and Europeans. IMHO, Vancouver, Montreal, and possibly Halifax have a number of potential itineraries that would be attractive to citizens of either country and to foreigners.

Roy

Patricia, I think world-citizen's numbers are reasonable, but I don't think that's really the issue. IMHO, the real issue is the attractiveness of itineraries from potential ports of embarkation. It's not really that big a deal for citizens of either country to cross the border, and probably makes no difference whatsoever to say Aussis and Europeans. IMHO, Vancouver, Montreal, and possibly Halifax have a number of potential itineraries that would be attractive to citizens of either country and to foreigners.

Roy

Agree, there are some great potential itineraries.

However, the cost of flying to/from Canadian cities is a factor. Despite Alaskan itinerary advantages out of Vancouver, more people opt for Seattle because flights cost less.

Unfortunately, I can't agree it's not a big deal for citizens of either country to cross the border. For Canadians, it's definitely no big deal. However.....

There's a significant percentage of U.S. cruisers who utterly refuse to get a passport. Reasons stated range from "I don't need one" (despite evidence to the contrary) to "Families can't afford passports for both parents plus each kid" (though those kids are not cruising free). Since I know a number of "passport objectors", let's leave it that real reasons seem more complicated, and even less rational.

For these people, crossing the border to get on a cruise is out (unless they have a Washington, Michigan, New York or Vermont enhanced driver's license). And, if my extended family is an accurate sample, they number more than 10% of the population.

I hope this was tongue in cheek. The Seaway locks have a maximum beam of 78 feet. HAL's narrowest is the S-Class at 101. Even the Prinsendam is wider at about 106. Maybe someday the Seaway will be modernized but I don't think in our lifetimes. Otherwise, a wonderful thought.

Roy

You learn something new every day:) It was " tongue in cheek " never really thought about the logistics..just knew we had water between us and Montreal;) Big old tanker thingees find there way here..maybe they are narrower??

You are right about the Seaway being modernized..but hey maybe Hal could build smaller ships..now that was tongue in cheek.:D

Thanks for the info.

Colleen

Rafinmd, I was going to make a tongue-in-cheek comment about the Maasdam coming through the Welland Canal and down to Detroit/Windsor just for me.

Oh, there are more of us here that would join you on an ocean cruise from Windsor. :D If it were only possible.

Montreal does not make a great starting point either since we would be limited to ships the size of the Maasdam (which we liked, just saying) since there are a couple of low bridges to go under before Quebec City. That city would make a great start and you can take the train there instead of flying.

As for flying, my greatest issue is always crossing the Ambassador Bridge. US immigration and Customs is worse than any security line I have gone through at an airport, any airport. We always schedule a lot of extra time for the border because you never know how long it will take and if you will be pulled over.

Oh, there are more of us here that would join you on an ocean cruise from Windsor. :D If it were only possible.

Montreal does not make a great starting point either since we would be limited to ships the size of the Maasdam (which we liked, just saying) since there are a couple of low bridges to go under before Quebec City. That city would make a great start and you can take the train there instead of flying.

As for flying, my greatest issue is always crossing the Ambassador Bridge. US immigration and Customs is worse than any security line I have gone through at an airport, any airport. We always schedule a lot of extra time for the border because you never know how long it will take and if you will be pulled over.

I guess I've always been lucky. I have family South of Montreal (East side of the river) and have been able to use any of a number of small crossing points which never seem to be crowded. Things get tougher when there is a river and only a few bridges to cross on.

Your idea about Quebec as an embarkation point is interesting, but I imagine the train service there would be frustrating. VIA does many things well, but to me one of their biggest shortcomings is the lack of through service in the Windsor-Quebec corridor. Taking separate trains to Toronto, Montreal, and finally Quebec would be a real hassle, and adds quite a bit of stress to what should be a relaxing if long day.

You inland Canadians must be really dedicated cruisers to do it with all the complications it requires. And yes, a few smaller ships would be a real godsend.

Roy

Just curious, does anyone know if Canada has something like our PVSA? Would it be possible to do something like a voyage from Montreal around Newfoundland ending in Halifax? Would anybody like that?

Roy

I defintitely would!!

OK, that takes care of two cabins. How frequently are you planning to do this itinerary? I guess it is obvious where I am heading with this. If HAL (or any other cruise-line) thought that they could consistently fill their ship(s) with sailing such itins, you would see them being offered.

I also would not mind seeing such offerings. So, I guess we are up to three cabins. :rolleyes:

Ray in NH

Archived