Canadian Cruise Embarkation

world~citizen

I hope HAL considers more seriously additional cruises embarking from Canada.

With the CAD at corrected exchange rates, additional cruises embarking from Vancouver to Hawaii, or transatlantic crossings embarking or disembarking from Montreal might be all the incentive necessary to put more Canadians in HAL cabins.

I really believe Canadians could be served a bit better this way.

Still and all, we love HAL

Smooth sailing...

With the CAD at corrected exchange rates, additional cruises embarking from Vancouver to Hawaii, or transatlantic crossings embarking or disembarking from Montreal might be all the incentive necessary to put more Canadians in HAL cabins.

Smooth sailing...

I agree! :) Currently, there is ONLY one Vancouver/Hawaii roundtrip! :( And why can't there be a 14-Day Alaska Vancouver roundtrip too? :(

While HAL is doing a good job with Canada/New England cruises, I can't help but think it could do a better job with Hawaii and even transatlantic cruises embarking or disembarking from Canada.

With the CAD exchange more realistic now, that might be the only additional incentive HAL need do to get more Canadians in HAL cabins.

I know we would appreciate it.

Smooth sailing...

I agree! :) Currently, there is ONLY one Vancouver/Hawaii roundtrip! :( And why can't there be a 14-Day Alaska Vancouver roundtrip too? :(

Oh, woudn't that be nice! That way you don't have to look at trying to book a back to back!

Rod

There's Montreal embarkation for Canada/New England but that is a limited number of cruises per season what with Maasdam leaving for 35 day Voyage of the Vikings.

I agree that more Canadian embarkations might be very popular.

San Diego is the closest of HAL's cruise ports to the Pacific Northwest during the winter. I have nothing against San Diego but it would be great to see a winter cruise departure from Vancouver. I really dislike flying in the USA these days.

San Diego is the closest of HAL's cruise ports to the Pacific Northwest during the winter. I have nothing against San Diego but it would be great to see a winter cruise departure from Vancouver. I really dislike flying in the USA these days.

I do! Well, actually the airport! Old, small & out of date with only ONE runway! :mad: Apparantly, San Diego wanted to enlarge/rebuild the airport but it was defeated by some sort of ?board! :mad:

There's Montreal embarkation for Canada/New England but that is a limited number of cruises per season what with Maasdam leaving for 35 day Voyage of the Vikings.

I agree that more Canadian embarkations might be very popular.

Just curious, does anyone know if Canada has something like our PVSA? Would it be possible to do something like a voyage from Montreal around Newfoundland ending in Halifax? Would anybody like that?

Roy

Just curious, does anyone know if Canada has something like our PVSA? Would it be possible to do something like a voyage from Montreal around Newfoundland ending in Halifax? Would anybody like that?

Roy

I defintitely would!!

That's a different itinerary! No, I've never heard that Canada has an equivalent law against foreign carriers transporting passengers between two Canadian ports.

Historically, the ports of Vancouver and Montreal have had their fair share of unions creating havoc with shipping, including the cruise industry. Wasn't it just a couple of years ago that last minute negotiations involving the caving in to union demands allowed the Maasdam to embark/disembark passengers at Montreal without incident ? The cruise suits are probably wary of committing too much in view of past happenings with unions in these two ports. Seattle seems to have thrived in the past couple of years while ships seem to be abandoning Vancouver. Perhaps the American laws regarding unions may differ from laws in Canada which tend to heavily favour the unions. Reduced tourism and economic activity is what you end up with.

Smooth sailing...

With the Canadian $ at a 3 (or is it 4) year high, I doubt you'll see an increase in Canadian departures. The high Canadian dollar now makes it more expensive to dock, restock, refuel... everything!!! And Canadians still make up a small percentage of passengers and I doubt that will change.

With the Canadian $ at a 3 (or is it 4) year high, I doubt you'll see an increase in Canadian departures. The high Canadian dollar now makes it more expensive to dock, restock, refuel... everything!!! And Canadians still make up a small percentage of passengers and I doubt that will change.

I asked a HM how many Canadians were on the ship once and it turned out to be about 10 per cent. As Canada's population is about 10 per cent of the US population it is about right.

Vancouver and Montreal have to be very sensitive to market conditions and competitive or they will miss the boat so to speak - and neither Port Authorities' are that dumb.

If ships can sail out of Europe and Scandinavia and Russia they can sail out of Canada.

I agree the dollar is problematic. We had better get used to it though. While it may be a bit high now, it was way too low before. Even with those low exchange rates, departures out of Canada were feeble.

If HAL wants more Canadian Pax, sail them out of Canada.

Just my two cents.

Smooth sailing...

What is the percentage? :confused:

Ah heck come on down the St Lawrence into Lake Ontario and pick me up in Toronto.:)[/quote

Montreal is a great port (and we don't have to travel as far from New Brunswick) - it would be great & no question, we would be tempted to cruise more as air fares do come into the cost ;)

Ah heck come on down the St Lawrence into Lake Ontario and pick me up in Toronto.:)

I hope this was tongue in cheek. The Seaway locks have a maximum beam of 78 feet. HAL's narrowest is the S-Class at 101. Even the Prinsendam is wider at about 106. Maybe someday the Seaway will be modernized but I don't think in our lifetimes. Otherwise, a wonderful thought.

Roy

Archived