What would YOU do??

NewfieGirl79

So DH and I will be leaving Carnival Liberty on May 21st and our flight home leaves FLL @ 8pm. I need a few suggestions on what to do for a day in Miami or Fort Lauderdale. We are not familiar with anything in Florida and will obviously have all our luggage with us. Help!!:eek:

I'd rent a car and go to South Beach for the day. Have a leisurely lunch, hang at the beach for awhile before heading back to FLL for your flight.

I second this. South Beach is very interesting and fun to drive down. Have some lunch down there and maybe dinner before heading back to the airport. Renting a car would obviously get you around town and be place for your luggage.

See, I didn't even think about renting a car!! Thanks! How difficult is Miami/Fort Lauderdale to drive around in? Is parking an issue around South Beach?

For the price of renting a car and paying for meals or whatever else you do I would pay to have my flight changed to an earlier time.

So DH and I will be leaving Carnival Liberty on May 21st and our flight home leaves FLL @ 8pm. I need a few suggestions on what to do for a day in Miami or Fort Lauderdale. We are not familiar with anything in Florida and will obviously have all our luggage with us. Help!!:eek:

I also vote for the car rental. Carol & I have done that several times. It is a great area to explore and see magnificent homes. Drive up the A1A, eat lunch ANYWHERE on the way and you will enjoy it.

Alamo (our choice) and others can pick you up and take you to their facility. We got a mid-size Pontiac for $50, returned it to FLL at 4:00 pm for our 6:00 pm flight back to Baltimore. Home of the first place Orioles, DO YOU KNOW IT HAS BEEN A LONG TIME TO BE ABLE TO SAY THAT EVEN 6 GAMES INTO THE SEASON :D

Once, we parked in South Beach for an entire afternoon in a municipal lot and it was under $5. That was three(?) years ago. People watching is very enjoyable in South Beach.

Rent a car. That will 1) hold your luggage and 2) provide you with a means of transportation.

Get a guide book for the Miami / Fort Lauderdale area and find something interesting to do.

I had a late flight out of Orlando, so I rented a car and spent the day at Sea World.

If you can't change your flight and can secure your luggage in the trunk of your rental car, you might want to check out the Fort Lauderdale Visitors Bureau website http://www.sunny.org/visitors/ for ideas.

If you're not sick of being on a boat, you might want to check out the Carrie B sightseeing cruise through the intracoastal waterway. You will get a close-up look at some of the magnificent houses and information on who lives in some of them.

Once on a business trip to another area of the country, I just went to the airport early and was able to fly standby and get on an earlier flight without the cost of changing reservations. But that was before they cut back on the number of planes flying.

For the price of renting a car and paying for meals or whatever else you do I would pay to have my flight changed to an earlier time.

Not an option, unfortunately. We took the late flight option because the earlier one would be over $650 + tax each. The flight we're on is $156.Oh the joys of living on an island in the North Atlantic!;)

Definitely rent a car. In addition to the above suggestions, you might consider the Everglades as an option. if it is rainy, a day at a mall might fit the bill. a car gives you loads of options. Do not change your flight. Keep the money and enjoy Florida.

Thanks for the post, NewfieGirl! My family and I are going in August and were facing the same situation. Our flight leaves at 4:15. Not as late as yours, but still leaving us with 5 - 6 hours to kill before we had to check in. Especially considering a rental would be only slightly more $ than what I was looking at for transportation for all of us anyway, I think its the way we're gonna go. Thanks again for the post/ideas!

Thanks for the post, NewfieGirl! My family and I are going in August and were facing the same situation. Our flight leaves at 4:15. Not as late as yours, but still leaving us with 5 - 6 hours to kill before we had to check in. Especially considering a rental would be only slightly more $ than what I was looking at for transportation for all of us anyway, I think its the way we're gonna go. Thanks again for the post/ideas!

You're welcome:) We managed to get a car for under $50 with a GPS and unlimited miles. Now to figure out what to do. There's so much to choose from!:D

We had the shuttle drop us off on the beach road in Fort Lauderdale---I think it is called A-1-A OR it is 1- A- 1. The shuttle will know where to go. Just arrange it before hand. It has a beautiful beach on one side of the road and shops and restaurants--bars on the other side. Then we took a taxi back to FLL. Very nice area.

What we did is head over to the Everglades and toured Shark Valley visitor center where you can rent bikes or take a guided tram ride through the valley.

If you go to South Beach, try to find a parking lot to pay a flat fee so you don't have to parallel park and load up the meter in quarters (depending on what you end up doing).

A1A runs along the East coast of Florida all the way from south GA to Key West.

What do you want to do? Check out this website....

http://www.southbeach-usa.com/news/travel/2008/01/14/10-things-miami-1/

Archived