Distrikt Hotel-Manhattan

canadianbear

Just wondering if anyone has stayed at this location. It will be for 4 nights starting September 6th for 3 adults. We will be flying in so have no vehicle. It looks like it is within blocks of Time Square. We will then be going on a HAL cruise.

When I e-mailed them to ask for prices they also offered to hold the room with a credit card but not charge it. 24 hour cancellation policy too ...all sounds very good? Is this normal to be able to hold a room but not have to pay and you can cancel? If so, WOW....

thoughts?

Yes, it's normal to be able to hold a hotel room without a deposit except for resorts, or if you're getting special discounted nonrefundable prepaid rates either directly through the hotel or a discount booking source like Priceline or Hotwire.

The hotel seems to get good reviews. Personally, I don't care for the location, directly across the street from the Port Authority Bus Terminal, but others might disagree.

This is a new property, so for those who want to stay in the middle of Times Square, it is a good hotel. I think I would stay here over the Mariott Marquis, only because of the newness factor.

Yes, it's normal to be able to hold a hotel room without a deposit except for resorts, or if you're getting special discounted nonrefundable prepaid rates either directly through the hotel or a discount booking source like Priceline or Hotwire.

The hotel seems to get good reviews. Personally, I don't care for the location, directly across the street from the Port Authority Bus Terminal, but others might disagree.

I'd be interested to know what the OP is paying per night for this hotel. It could be a great deal, but it could also be expensive. Once we know what the OP is planning to pay, then it is easier to suggest alternatives.

I'm not a big fan of the Port Authority area. For a great deal I'd get over it, but if I were paying top dollar, I wouldn't choose that area.

The hotel is probably fine, but 40th Street between 8th & 9th Avenues is still a little sketchy at night.

I'm not a big fan of the Port Authority area.

The Oyster link discusses this and also shows a pic of the hotel block. However, it's also one of Oyster's 10 Most Popular Hotels.

Hi everyone, thanks for your replies. We were quoted $319 a night (before taxes etc) for 3 people. I will be traveling with my husband (6'4) and son (6') if that helps any regarding maybe walking to the hotel at night?

We aren't in a hurry to book and I am still researching (trying!) but thought this one was a pretty good deal. We will be doing the touristy things like Top of the rock, Circle Island Boat Tour, Staten Island ferry, etc.

Would you consider a noncancellable hotel? Hotwire is currently showing a 3 1/2* hotel - the Jewel - for $245 for your dates. This would save you $300+. Great location on 51st St across from Rockefeller Center and great reviews.

138east: Thanks for the info...at this point we can't book one that we can't cancel...we aren't in a hurry yet-have to wait until we finalize the cruise. Thank you for your help. I will keep digging and searching -just picked up a tour book from our AAA so that will help too. I will check out the Jewel too-thanks so much.

Sometimes a good strategy is to book a cancellable room and watch 3*+ hotels on Hotwire (not Priceline because you have 3 people) for a good deal on a midtown central hotel for your dates. You may be able to match the amenities on betterbidding.com to get an idea of what hotel it might be. If you watch what is available, you will know if it is a good deal.

Archived