Suddenly my OV cabin has become very valuable!

I like to go to the RCI website and dream of picking an upgrade. You know the tough decisions of "cash flow, discretionary income :confused:

Anyway, the OV are all sold out on my cruise. so, I cant let go of this cabin unless I am really really sure of the money, etc

This is a very special vacation for our family. We are not regular cruisers. This is my 50th bday cruise with my husband and 11 year old son. So, a part of me says: you deserve the AFT balcony, etc. But we are just hard working middle class family that works hard and lives way under our means.

Actually, I sell on Ebay and that money is paying for most of the cruise. I am trying to continue selling my "beehind" off.

Hopefully, our Discover Card points will pay for some airfare., RCI card points will help with some onboard credit. Marriott GC will help some with over night stays. YIKES!!!

First of all, let me say congratulations on your upcoming cruise. I have stayed in an ocean view, obstructed ocean view, balcony, and currently have a junior suite booked. We had an awesome time on every cruise! We obviously LOVE the balcony and will now always be our choice....However, if keeping the ov will allow you to have more spending money to enjoy yourself then by all means, just keep it!! You will have a great time regardeless of the room. Have a great time.

I have sailed in many different cabins, from inside to suite. I missed natural light the last time I sailed in an inside, but for the right cruise I would sail inside again. It just means I am out of my cabin more, enjoying the ship.

I am very fond of aft balconies, but if money is tight and if the price difference is substantial, I would keep the OV cabin. There are so many places to relax on deck. When I go somewhere with a view down the side of a ship, I am often amazed to see how few balconies are in use at any given time except sailaways.

I don't know if this'll help at all, but an aft balcony is probably impossible. Why? Because those few cabins tend to disappear FAST, and if your cruise dates have been open long enough for the Ocean Views to all be sold, the aft balconies are almost certainly gone.

So, no use worrying over whether you want something that's impossible. And, speaking only for myself, the money for a side balcony isn't worth it.

With an OV, you will have natural light...and that's important, to me! True, you won't be relaxing on your balcony, but there are SO many places on the ship to "get away" from the crowds....it will be fine!!!

Looks like for your cruise there is a D1 available but that is about $4500 for the three of you and it isn't really an aft balcony anyway. :)

Enjoy the cabin you have, we did a JS on our first cruise and an inside on our second and had a fantastic time on both cruises.

.__302_306_Freedom%20Aug%207.JPG

I like to go to the RCI website and dream of picking an upgrade. You know the tough decisions of "cash flow, discretionary income :confused:

Anyway, the OV are all sold out on my cruise. so, I cant let go of this cabin unless I am really really sure of the money, etc

This is a very special vacation for our family. We are not regular cruisers. This is my 50th bday cruise with my husband and 11 year old son. So, a part of me says: you deserve the AFT balcony, etc. But we are just hard working middle class family that works hard and lives way under our means.

Actually, I sell on Ebay and that money is paying for most of the cruise. I am trying to continue selling my "beehind" off.

Hopefully, our Discover Card points will pay for some airfare., RCI card points will help with some onboard credit. Marriott GC will help some with over night stays. YIKES!!!

Also make sure you check out Discover's cash back program. RCI is still one of the few that you can get double cash back. I think a $80 cash back will get you $160 off the cruise. I did it a couple years ago and it was great. Used discover points, and then RCI visa points for more OBC.

Thanks for all your encouragement on my cabin. I found 2 AFTS fishing around and I didn't grab them, so they could be gone by now. And you are right 4500! Plus plane from Texas to Florida, Hotel, spending! and I am sure there is more. I was looking at D1s and we are getting trip insurance too. I just dont have the guts to go without it. I dream of drinking my coffee out on the balcony. So in the morning, when you are in an inside or OV, do you just get dressed and go drink your coffee in a beautiful, peaceful place, or sit on your bed?

I am being a mean Mommy right now getting my son to crush our empty soda cans right now. This will be his spending money for the trip. I am trying to use the arcade as an incentive, but it is hard on an 11 year old boy to crush cans that is not immediate gratification. I am thinking about having him buy his own soda package too. This child has a cush life and it is just teaching him work ethic as well as the fact that if it is Mommy and Daddy's moeny, the 1.50 at the arcade will look like a huge no and if it is his money, he will have control. He can stuff himself with pizza then hit the arcade

Also make sure you check out Discover's cash back program. RCI is still one of the few that you can get double cash back. I think a $80 cash back will get you $160 off the cruise. I did it a couple years ago and it was great. Used discover points, and then RCI visa points for more OBC.

We have switched to the Discover Travel card and we use it for EVERYTHING and pay it off every month. We have almost 600 points, which should be 600 dollars. That is a big chunk of our airfare.

I got the RCCL Visa and have been using that only to pay for the cruise, which should be double points. I want to use the points for that to get some OBC. We have the initial 10,000 plus double of our bill for the OV cabin for 3. I am thinking we can get to the 15,000 for 150.00.

Does this all sound about right? It is amazing what one can do with CC points. DH had a Capitol One for work that we closed down and we were able to get 2 100.00 Marriott GC with those points. So we are using the Marriott Courtyard Cocoa Beach Fly/Snooze/Cruise Package with that. We will have to pay some because of our son. A 3rd person cost on the transport. Breakfast is not free that MCY and that gets my goat a bit:mad:

I may be in the minority here but I was no more impressed having an AFT balcony (Serenade) than having a regular balcony on other ships (Adventure, Liberty). It was more shaded and had less breeze. When in port you are looking at water unless the ship is backed in (we did have a great view of St. Marteen when this was the case).

Being able to sit on my balcony and watch the scenery of the island prior to setting sail is awesome. I have pics of a double rainbow over the bay area in St. Marteen. One of the funniest thing to do is watch the late comers scurrying back as fast as they can before the ship sets sail! (a little mean yeah but for the ones that come shuffling back three sheets to the wind...I have a little less sympathy)

Back to the topic....What I am trying to say is....if you find that you can swing the price for a balcony before your cruise don't get hung up on trying to get an AFT location because ANY balcony is an awesome balcony! :D

Stay within your means. If you can swing a balcony they are great but not worth going into debt over. Aft balconys are the very best but hard to catch unless you book a year out or so. We have also snagged one just after final payment was due because someone cancelled just before then.

We like the balcony for the quiet and romance. Since your 11 year old will be with you there may not be alot that. You will want to keep track of him which means an aft is a long way to walk. There are plenty of spaces on the open decks above to relax and make it easy for your son to check in with you. When we traveled with the kids we prefered to spend our days in a central location on the pool deck so they could find us.

I think sometimes people get too hung up on the cabin thing. There is so much to do on a RCCL cruise you don't spend a ton of time there unless this is a cruise for the purpose of quiet and relaxation. Then get a aft balcony. As a family you'll spend less time in your cabin then you think.

We have switched to the Discover Travel card and we use it for EVERYTHING and pay it off every month. We have almost 600 points, which should be 600 dollars. That is a big chunk of our airfare.

I got the RCCL Visa and have been using that only to pay for the cruise, which should be double points. I want to use the points for that to get some OBC. We have the initial 10,000 plus double of our bill for the OV cabin for 3. I am thinking we can get to the 15,000 for 150.00.

Does this all sound about right? It is amazing what one can do with CC points. DH had a Capitol One for work that we closed down and we were able to get 2 100.00 Marriott GC with those points. So we are using the Marriott Courtyard Cocoa Beach Fly/Snooze/Cruise Package with that. We will have to pay some because of our son. A 3rd person cost on the transport. Breakfast is not free that MCY and that gets my goat a bit:mad:

Will have to check out what a discover "travel" card is

waterbug, just go to discovercard.com and you should see the info.

With the Discover travel, you can use your points for anything for traveling. Even the cruise.

We feel we were ripped off with the Chase Southwest CC. My husband has used it for years and should have several, if not one flight by now and we have nothing. Discover Card has been the best as far as honoring their points. I pray that the RCCL card comes through.

Archived