snorkel fins

luvtravel38

After doing the Caribbean last year and packing full fins. I switched to short fins or

swimmers fins...lots less room to pack and you really don't need the full ones.

I ordered mine of Amazon and bought a pair of booties in case they didn't fit properly.

there are two sides to this question

- there is a basic question of physics: to get more push per leg stroke one needs a larger blade area. True snorkeling fins imo are 'free diving' fins and they are substantially larger then standard fins because a free diver wants to cover as much time as possible on that one breath . . . but for most free diving is not what most think of when they hear snorkeling. (when I played underwater hockey, a snorkeling sport, we wore the biggest damn fins we could find, but every one was from the swim or water polo team so we could handle 'em)

- otoh the average swimmer, or less than average swimmer - which probably describes the average vacation snorkelor, simply does not have the leg strength to move full sized fins thru the water. For them (us) a smaller fin results in a more comfortable experience because .... well if you go to the gym and do 200 reps on a leg machine with 30 pounds it don't burn like the same number at 60 pounds. You'll cover less ground but most vacation snorkelors don't care about distance covered so .... buy smaller fins.

• 3 weeks later...
there are two sides to this question

- there is a basic question of physics: to get more push per leg stroke one needs a larger blade area. True snorkeling fins imo are 'free diving' fins and they are substantially larger then standard fins because a free diver wants to cover as much time as possible on that one breath . . . but for most free diving is not what most think of when they hear snorkeling. (when I played underwater hockey, a snorkeling sport, we wore the biggest damn fins we could find, but every one was from the swim or water polo team so we could handle 'em)

- otoh the average swimmer, or less than average swimmer - which probably describes the average vacation snorkelor, simply does not have the leg strength to move full sized fins thru the water. For them (us) a smaller fin results in a more comfortable experience because .... well if you go to the gym and do 200 reps on a leg machine with 30 pounds it don't burn like the same number at 60 pounds. You'll cover less ground but most vacation snorkelors don't care about distance covered so .... buy smaller fins.

I am an older diver and do not have the power in my legs that I used to have so I have found that short fins work great for both snorkel and scuba diving. I bought a pair of medium length fins and cut them down a bit to fit into my carry-on. I have found that I get better performance and am less tired than when using large fins.

I, too, made the initial mistake of purchasing full length fins for "power".

I soon discovered that snorkeling is not a power sport, and there was no need to burn the energy necessary to pull them thru the water. I now use "shorty" fins, and have been very happy with U.S. Divers. Be sure to go to a scuba shop for a proper fit. That they are a better luggage fit is a bonus.

http://www.isnorkel.com/product-exec/category_id/213/product_id/4573/nm/US-Divers-Shredder-II-fin

holy cats...what a price tag attatched to those..hope they were worth it to you.:)

Hockey Nut,

Well put, but you get what you pay for. I am still using a pair that has been in heavy use from the early 90's and the design makes them super comfortable when you want to be in the water a lot.

Happy Cruising!

Hockey Nut,

Well put, but you get what you pay for. I am still using a pair that has been in heavy use from the early 90's and the design makes them super comfortable when you want to be in the water a lot.

Happy Cruising!

LOL

Being from Montana, I don't get a lot of heavy use of mine:D

I only snorkel on trips as our waters are COLD and murky for the most part. But when I win that lotto and can travel freely, I will invest into a pair.

Just an after thought...welcome to CC, I see you are a new poster anyways.

Bighorn Hockey Nut,

Thanks for the welcome. Looking forward to adding my count down clock for my next cruise. Take care and have a great week!

I just ordered the travel size fins, along with the mask and snorkle at Costco. Not a member so it was only 5 more dollars. LLBean has the same set for 20 dollars more. Love LLBean but 40 bucks is 40 bucks.

(when I played underwater hockey, a snorkeling sport, we wore the biggest damn fins we could find, but every one was from the swim or water polo team so we could handle 'em)

:eek: Am I the only one that has never heard of underwater hockey? :eek: I can't even imagine.

As for the smaller fins posted, that's a pretty hefty price to pay for just a vacation (or even a vacation once a year). I think I'll continue to rent mine when I go on vacation. We bought mask last year, but found out how cheap it was to rent ALL of the equipment needed and I think this year we won't even bother with taking the mask.

:eek: Am I the only one that has never heard of underwater hockey? :eek: I can't even imagine.

As for the smaller fins posted, that's a pretty hefty price to pay for just a vacation (or even a vacation once a year). I think I'll continue to rent mine when I go on vacation. We bought mask last year, but found out how cheap it was to rent ALL of the equipment needed and I think this year we won't even bother with taking the mask.

After reading some posts here on CC, I didn't relish using equipment that "may" have not been properly cleaned. My investment initially was $38 at Costco for fins, mask, and snorkel...as well as a mesh bag. Everything worked fine for me, and as one of the posters stated, snorkeling is not a power sport. so I did invest into smaller fins, mainly for ease of packing and also being able to get around in them more easily.

I love hockey and I have never heard of underwater hockey either, but again we are from a colder climate, it would have to be played in the pool or with wetsuits:D

We got ours at www. snorkelmart .com (put it all together;)).

Love the prices and fast shipping. Took ours to the Caribbean this past April and had a blast. Now ordering the DD hers as she is taking her 1st cruise in February.

I think they play it with a floating puck on the bottom of the ice. One needs a pretty thick wetsuit, the water is really cold.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I bought all of the ones at Amazon and then returned the ones that did not work. My experience was that the short fins did not give me the same propulsion as the longer ones. So, I wound up with the longer ones even though they are harder ro fit in the suitcase. When I went snorkeling, I could really tell the difference. They were great. I believe mine were made by Tussi

Archived