Zumba on RCCL

I sent RCI an email recently asking about Zumba. They don't have it. They said they have exercise classes, including Pilates and Yoga, but no Zumba. I think if they offered it, they would have a huge response. I hope they have something at least similar to it.

• 2 months later...
Any chance I'll be able to do Zumba on the Freedom in June?

There are two types of zumba instructors: ballroom/Latin dance teachers who learn to teach the fitness side and fitness instructors who learn the dance side. Unfortunately, most of us dance instructors see zumba as a craze (we've seen this come and go before) and so few of us have pursued zumba certification. That leaves the fitness instructors and RCCI has chosen instructors who have expertise in other areas. Remember, unlike a fitness center on land RCCI can't bring an instructor to teach a class and then send him or her home, so they can't bring an instructor in just for fitness.

Short term recommendation: Get a zumba workout DVD and a portable player or lap top and do your own zumba workout session in one of the lounges when it's not in use (I recommend early morning). I almost guarantee you'll have a class working out with you by the third day.

Long term recommendation: note on the comment cards that you want zumba classes. I doubt RCCI will hire a zumba instructor but I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded the enrichment volunteer program to recruite zumba teachers (I've actually been considering getting my zumba certification in anticipation).

There are two types of zumba instructors: ballroom/Latin dance teachers who learn to teach the fitness side and fitness instructors who learn the dance side. Unfortunately, most of us dance instructors see zumba as a craze (we've seen this come and go before) and so few of us have pursued zumba certification. That leaves the fitness instructors and RCCI has chosen instructors who have expertise in other areas. Remember, unlike a fitness center on land RCCI can't bring an instructor to teach a class and then send him or her home, so they can't bring an instructor in just for fitness.

Short term recommendation: Get a zumba workout DVD and a portable player or lap top and do your own zumba workout session in one of the lounges when it's not in use (I recommend early morning). I almost guarantee you'll have a class working out with you by the third day.

Long term recommendation: note on the comment cards that you want zumba classes. I doubt RCCI will hire a zumba instructor but I wouldn't be surprised if they expanded the enrichment volunteer program to recruite zumba teachers (I've actually been considering getting my zumba certification in anticipation).

My DD is a Zumba instructor and she is sailing with me in March. Could you expand on the "enrichment volunteer program" that you mention above?

She will be leading ME in a Zumba routine, guaranteed... as she's already promised me that she would do that for me. I love Zumba and go about 5x a week. I told her to be prepared for other people to see her and pop in, but if there was something that I could do to structure an "enrichment" class that would be more perfect because we wouldn't have to scout around.

If you could help with any advice, I would be so appreciative. TIA.

My DD is a Zumba instructor and she is sailing with me in March. Could you expand on the "enrichment volunteer program" that you mention above?

We do our enrichment programs through Sixth Star and To Sea with Z. Neither has any zumba programs listed in specific but I would highly encourage your daughter to e-mail them and see if they might be able to place her. Details about everything else (booking fees, discounts, etc.) depend on the type of program so chances are she'll be discussing everything fresh.

http://toseawithz.com/

http://www.sixthstar.com/index.php

They don't offer classes onboard however they do have group cruises that are Zumba with many classes. I've taught Zumba on Carnival before as a group cruise. Ask your instructor if she/he wants to set one up or do a google search for one. I know off the top of my head there is one on Monarch November 2011 and the Navigator end of Jan 2012 I believe.

Archived