I Just Don't Get It (The Captain)

bjboothman

People ask all the time --- Who is the captain on such and such ship? Why? I'm trusting that Princess has provided a fully qualified captain on each of their ships, along with a staff of officers who are equally adept. What's so special about "who" the captain is? I can't say that I've noticed any of them are better drivers than any of the others.

This is sort of a lighthearted question (and not directed to anyone who has recently posted the question as several people ask it every week), but honestly, I don't get the reason for knowing or caring who the captain is. Not like he spends much time at my table ;)

Just like everything else, I think this is another "to each his own" situation.

Some have sailed with a captain in the past, who perhaps, they had the pleasure to meet and interact with...and maybe they want to know if they will see the same captain again.

Some have been married on board by a captain, and maybe want to do a renewal of vows on board by the same captain.

Some captains have a great sense of humor and a great presence on the ship, and people want to know if they will experience this again.

Some just want to write a letter to the captain and address it more personally than "Dear Mr. Captain..."

With that being said, does anyone know who the captain is on the Diamond right now (and for the next 4-5 weeks?) I've heard a couple different names now...

Thanks! :)

Hi!

Count me guilty! I asked for the name of the Captain of the Golden before our last cruise. I did this because I wanted to write a letter prior to the cruise asking nicely for a tour of the Bridge.

Yes, we were invited up about the third day of of the cruise. It was awesome - a highlight for my parents, sister & brother-in law, and husband.

Kaye

Count me guilty! I asked for the name of the Captain of the Golden before our last cruise. I did this because I wanted to write a letter prior to the cruise asking nicely for a tour of the Bridge.

What a nice idea, Kaye!

Did you address the letter to the captain? Who did you mail it to? (I may just copy your idea!)

Hi Dreamer!

Yes, I addressed the letter to the Captain ( It was Captain David Calabrese at that time). I dropped it off at the purser's desk on the first day of the cruise. I didn't think we would get it because it is not something that is done often anymore (security and all), but we all got letters in our mailboxes about the third night and we're told where to meet an officer the next day so he could lead us up to the bridge. The tour was about an hour in length and we could take pictures (I was surprised) and ask any questions we wanted. There were six of us. It was really cool! I jazzed up my letter a bit with some cute clipart and made sure I took along a 'Thank You' note just in case we were lucky!

Good Luck!

Kaye

Hi!

Kaye

Now, see, that's a great reason for asking. Now I know. ;)

Just wondered, that's all.

On only one cruise have I ever even been interested in who the captain would be on a ship. That was the Navigator of the Seas and Captain Bang. Past cruisers had come back with such glowing reports that I couldn't wait to see for myself. Not only was he very personable, but approachable and visible throughout the cruise. He came to our M&M party and was very entertaining and willing to answer any and all questions.

The attitude of the staff and crew were great and we attribute that to Captain Bang's leadership. Soooo, all the reports were true. We really enjoyed this particular captain and ship.

The Captain is responsible for setting the tone of all the ship's employees so it's important to know who he/she is. Cruise ships still run on a military model in most departments with the Captain being the absolute leader. As captain's change, so can the overall service level and attitude of the staff.

Hi!

Yes, we were invited up about the third day of of the cruise. It was awesome - a highlight for my parents, sister & brother-in law, and husband.

Smart idea.

Okay, anyone know who the captain on the Island is ... or at least who will be on April 19th? Maybe our roll call group could get an invite for a private tour?

Blue skies ...

--rita

You know BJbooth I have always wondered the same thing. I really don't care who the captain is so long as that man can drive the boat safely. LOL :D And another thing. People are always asking the names of the Cruise Director. Personally it does not matter to me who he or she is. But I guess to some people it is very important. I guess if we were made all the same what a boring planet this would be.:cool:

Marilyn

I am one that wants to know.

There are some Cruise Directors that really annoy me and some Captain Circle Hosts who I really enjoyed getting to know on my cruises and would like to see them again. When I have traveled with my parent who has a disability - I have had several Captains go out of their way to check up on us and make sure everything is fine.

I would like to sail with these people again and often ask to see if they will be on our sailing.

You know BJbooth I have always wondered the same thing. I really don't care who the captain is so long as that man can drive the boat safely. LOL :D And another thing. People are always asking the names of the Cruise Director. Personally it does not matter to me who he or she is. But I guess to some people it is very important. I guess if we were made all the same what a boring planet this would be.:cool:

Marilyn

Marilyn, great minds think alike! You asked my next question for me. My questions were not intended to be critical, just inquisitive. I choose a cruise based on my own schedule, the ship, and the itinerary. I can't imagine that this or that captain or cruise director would sway my decision in the least. I think we all cruise for different reasons. Mine is simply to get away from it all, and the particulars are not very important to me, as long as I am pampered - and Princess is very good at making me feel like a ----- well, PRINCESS ;)

Yes, I addressed the letter to the Captain ( It was Captain David Calabrese at that time). I dropped it off at the purser's desk on the first day of the cruise.

Thanks Kaye - I had been wondering about this and I will try to surpise DH with this on our holiday cruise. Actually, he really wants to tour the engine room and almost got to on our last cruise, but that is even more rare than a bridge tour since 9/11. Nice to to know that it MIGHT be possible for a bridge tour for our group.

Thanks again!

Kyros,

I sailed with Captain Poggi on the Island Princess in January 2004. While it would be kewl to have a female captain, this Andrea happens to be a male.

A funny story about this cruise: I was on this cruise with a friend and coworker and our cabin was underneath his. He is a very tall man, not really heavy, but sometimes we could hear him stomping around up there. I told my friend we need to find a broom so we could tap on the ceiling and tell him to please hold the noise down up there(just kidding). It was only once in a while we heard him but he sure is a heavy walker.

By the way, it was a wonderful cruise.

Carole

I have said it before and I will say it again:

Many people like to know who the Captain of their ship will be so they can write him and ask to see his bridge.

I say, if you want to see the Captain's bridge, just tell him you are a dentist!......... 3_9_6v.gif

Cat: You are a hoot. You know you could have gone all day without saying that.:D We are trying to hold an intelligent conversation here.:rolleyes: Talk at you later.

Marilyn

Thanks for that - love your graphics. :p Actually, doctors like to hide on cruises so that they are not asked stupid doctor questions like diagnoses and prognoses. ;)

My daughter doesn't even have Dr. on her booking. :rolleyes:

Doctors are on vacation and business is the last thing they want to talk about, not like IT geeks and engineers. LoL :eek:

Archived