Infinity to visit Anarctica in 2012-2013 season?

edgee

We returned from what we thought was Celebrity's last Antarctic cruise in February. Word was that due to new restrictions on large ships in Antarctica beginning late this year, only smaller (ie. Azamara) ships could cruise Antarctica. Now an April 8 Celebrity press release says Infinity will visit Antarctica twice in the 2012-2013 season. Does anyone know if the rules have changed, or how this can be? Our Infinity Antarctic cruise this past February was terrific due to great weather in Falklands and Argentina, but we had to abandon Antarctica after just a few hours of cruising due to horrendous weather. Would love to try again! Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.

Infinity's turbines burn Jet Fuel A. The last time I looked the UN restrictions covered Heavy Fuel Oil. Maybe they got a pass.

If that's the case, the restriction prohibits most of the newer big ships that are powered by diesel engines requiring Fuel Oil. You wont see the Solstice or Epic down there.

Seems to me the ships that were not converted to diesel engines like the Infinity will the left to ply the Antarctic.

But there was also a passenger restriction in the new law. That stated that the ship could only carry a maximum of 500 passengers which would leave the Infinty way undersold

I think the 500 passenger rule applies to getting off the ship there, not sailing

HAL has scheduled their 1200 passenger ship (Veendam, I believe) all along, and I understand they will just be using the different (and more expensive) fuel. When we were on the Infinity for the "last" Antarctic cruise, we were told by the crew that the Infinity would not be able to return, but indeed the RCCL corporation was scheduling an Azamara ship in 2012 to visit Antarctica.

NO the numebr of passengers getting off the ship is even MORE restrictive. The ship is only allowed to carry a max of 200 pax and only 100 pax may be ashore at any one time.

The 500 limit was for drive bys.

If Antarctica is a priority, I would never consider any "cruiseship". I did a SA sailing last year, which also had last minute cancelations of the Antarctica tours.

I am currently looking at Quark and Lindblad for my visit, since it is a priority to get there. :)

• 1 month later...
We returned from what we thought was Celebrity's last Antarctic cruise in February. Word was that due to new restrictions on large ships in Antarctica beginning late this year, only smaller (ie. Azamara) ships could cruise Antarctica. Now an April 8 Celebrity press release says Infinity will visit Antarctica twice in the 2012-2013 season. Does anyone know if the rules have changed, or how this can be? Our Infinity Antarctic cruise this past February was terrific due to great weather in Falklands and Argentina, but we had to abandon Antarctica after just a few hours of cruising due to horrendous weather. Would love to try again! Thanks for any insight anyone can offer.
I just booked the Feb 17,2013 trip.

• 1 month later...

Strange...I just discovered this itinerary as well and then came here. If you look at the schedule - Infinity would only have like 28 hours in Antarctica...which doesn't make much sense.

We had a wonderful cruise with the Star Princess down there in Dec/Jan...and amazing as it was, I came away very happy that big ships will be banned in this pristine nature (even though supposedly we were on a strict "eco"-diet on the ship there were way too many things going on that clearly showed that crew+company didnt really give a damn about the nature there...mostly lip service).

So yeah, I for one would be sad to see the big boys allowed back in.

Archived