Checking In Question

My husband wants to drop myself, our toddler and our luggage at the cruise terminal and then take the rental car back to the airport and turn our car back in. He then plans to grab a cab and return to the cruise terminal. Does anyone know if we will have to check in with our luggage immediately or if there is an area that we can wait for hubby to return? Will they take our luggage away from us to go to scanners that we have to be present for? Basically, I am hoping someone can tell me the process for checking in.:D Sorry for all the questions but, this is our first time out of Fort Lauderdale. Hate to have to board the ship and not have the whole family in the first photo! :)

I've never sailed RCI before, but I'd imagine it will work like other cruises that we've taken. (We sail Allure on 5/22/11.) We'll also have the rental car issue and I think there is probably a free shuttle from the car rental at the airport to take your husband back to the ship. When he drops you and the luggage off, there will probably be a porter right there who will take your luggage for you and so you won't see it again until it's in your cabin (which will probably be a few hours). Then, you can hang around the terminal and wait for your husband to come back, or go with him to turn the car in. Personally, I'd go with him because there is nothing to do in the terminals and you don't want to board the ship without him. (They may not even let you board separately, but I'm not sure about that.) I don't even really remember any seating inside the terminals from our last 2 cruises. I know it all seems overwhelming, but remember that they handle these logistics times thousands of people and it sounds like they really know what they're doing. And, I believe the airport is only 15 minutes from the port. Have fun!

What I would advise is that you drop your luggage off for the porters to load onto the ship and stay with your husband while he returns the car. Check with the car rental company because some of them offer a free shuttle service back to the ship. That way you won't be left standing on the sidewalk with a toddler until he returns. They won't let you enter the terminal until you are all together so don't worry, you won't miss your boarding photo. They will scan your carry on items when you enter the terminal building and then you can relax and enjoy your cruise.

You may be waiting a bit for him to return the car and get back to the port, but there is plenty of room for you to wait if it is easier the trying to bring the toddler on the shuttle with the carry on's etc. My DH dropped myself, 3 kids, and all of our luggage with the porters, then went to park our car. Now granted that trip is MUCH SHORTER :p but I still found a small area against the building and hung out with the kids until he returned and then we all proceeded through security together.

I remember days of car seats, strollers, etc, and transferring from the rental car to cab or shuttle can definitely be a pain in the :eek:!

Have sailed out of Port Everglades several times on RCI...You have two choices that would be easy for you to do as I see it..#1 All of you go to the car rental return and then take the shuttlebus (there were 6 of us and 10 pieces of luggage). We used Thrifty car rental and they had a LARGE shuttlebus that accommodated not only us but several others and their luggage..#2 Or you can drop your luggage off at the port and then all go to the rental agency and back again....Personally I would opt for choice #1 much easier to do....Only one trip into the port which has a LOT of traffic and passengers coming and going and less time consuming for you....

The airport is about 15 minutes from the cruiseport.

I believe they would allow you to be dropped off, give your bags to the porters and then go sit inside and wait for your husband. You won't be able to get on the ship nor check in without him - but at least sit in the waiting area where the numbers are called. Just don't get a number until he calls you and says I am walking in the cruise port. Enjoy your vacation.

I did exactly that last month (dropped my wife and daughter at the port with the bags, drove the rental car to the airport, caught a taxi back). The porters took the bags and they hung out inside until I got back. I thought it was much easier than the other alternatives.

The one thing I'd suggest is bringing two copies of your SetSail paperwork, because the port security shack wants to see a cruise ticket to let a car into the port. You should have a copy and your husband might need the second copy to get back.

---

Kevin

My husband wants to drop myself, our toddler and our luggage at the cruise terminal and then take the rental car back to the airport and turn our car back in. He then plans to grab a cab and return to the cruise terminal. Does anyone know if we will have to check in with our luggage immediately or if there is an area that we can wait for hubby to return? Will they take our luggage away from us to go to scanners that we have to be present for? Basically, I am hoping someone can tell me the process for checking in.:D Sorry for all the questions but, this is our first time out of Fort Lauderdale. Hate to have to board the ship and not have the whole family in the first photo! :)

Sorry for the second post but have you checked with the car rental agency you're using to see if they have an off airport site location you can use instead of having to go back to the airport? If not and no free shuttle is offered..then take a taxi with your luggage..It should be under $20.00 from FLL to port..

Does your hotel have free shuttle to the airport and to the port? If they do, he can take the car back the night before (you will save a day on car rental) or early in the morning. Then he can take the free shuttle from the air port to the hotel. The whole family can take the free shuttle from the hotel to the port. We have done this a couple of times. We are cruising in a week and we pick a hotel that has these free shuttles. It saves money. We are going to take a cab from the port to the airport on the way back.

Hate to have to board the ship and not have the whole family in the first photo! :)

You will not "board" the ship without him, don't worry. Your Welcome Aboard photo is one of the last stops before you actually take the walk to board the ship. For you and those others who have not sailed out of the new terminal at Fort Lauderdale, the photo is not taken when you initially go to check in. Just FYI.

Not all of the rental companies participate in the free shuttle bus to the port. Budget, for instance, does not. Just wanted to mention this. Anyway, a taxi is quick and efficient back to the Port.

There have been some good suggestions in this thread, so basically it's up to you. DH could be up to 30 minutes or more if there is a lot of traffic on the roads, and lined up at the Port entrance; are you and toddler prepared to wait for him that long?

You do not need to be present for the scanning of your large luggage pieces; that is done in another area out of passenger sight. Only your carry-on luggage will be screened in front of you, like the scanners at the airport. You will also go through a metal detector.

I suppose what it boils down to is this: I understand that DH wants to make this as quick and painless as possible, therefore suggesting he drop you off first. Having said that, our family always stays together. A cab to the Port will be the same price with one of you, or three of you plus luggage.

Have a good cruise. :)

Does your hotel have free shuttle to the airport and to the port? If they do, he can take the car back the night before (you will save a day on car rental) or early in the morning. Then he can take the free shuttle from the air port to the hotel. The whole family can take the free shuttle from the hotel to the port. We have done this a couple of times. We are cruising in a week and we pick a hotel that has these free shuttles. It saves money. We are going to take a cab from the port to the airport on the way back.

I like this idea the best. No need to get all flustered the morning of the cruise.

Carol

Archived