Star 10 day sailing Eastern Caribbean

amistad

I am not good at doing reviews, but I do feel I should post that we recently returned from an Eastern Caribbean 10 sailing on the Star and it exceeded our expectations.

I have been on over 25 cruises, only one previously on the Crown the rest have been with RCCL, Carnival, MSC, NCL, HAL, X and a few others. I was not really impressed with the Crown, but we had a wonderful time on the Star. I felt the Crown was very crowded, from the buffet to the shows, it just seemed we were alway's standing in line for something. I never felt that way on the Star. The crew on the Star was very friendly, and they seemed to be helpful in every way.

I chose this cruise for the itinerary, but my family and I enjoyed every aspect, and as a bonus we had C753 and saw a whale while sitting on our balcony one afternoon.

My punctuation and spelling are not good enough to do a full review, but I felt I should express my opinion and I would be glad to answer questions if I can be of help.

Thanks for the update. I always loved the Star. We had that very same room around the Horn, but didn't get to see a whale! How exciting for you! We are looking at that itinerary for next winter's getaway. Were any excursions that you took exceptionally good? (PS - your spelling seemed fine to me!):D

Wormy,

I traveled with my husband, recently diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and my daughter and her husband and their 4 yr. old, they were in a Caribe balcony midship, since we weren't sure how DH was going to hold up during the trip we planned beach day's. We went to Cockleshell on St Kitts and had massage's, one hour full body was 50.00. The day we were in Barbados we took a taxi to Carlisle bay beach and relaxed. St Lucia we had Spencer Ambrose take us to Jalousie Beach for the day, it is lovely, he provides lunch and drinks for the day. Antiqua, we went to Valley Church Beach, St Thomas to Emerald Bay, and we rented a bungalow on Princess Cay and had the gourmet lunch option.

My daughter and I both agreed that we would do this same itinerary again if able to. We were afraid this may be our last family cruise due to my husbands health condition, and I was worried it might be hard, but he did very good considering.

We sailed on the Star last month on the other 10 day. I loved the Star. It is my favorite ship so far. I agree on the staff both helpful and happy.

My father was diagnosed last August. We took him on a 7 day Western Carib November, but was pretty limited in what we could do (he is 84). But we did have some awesome days. We figured it was probably our last family vacation but now 6 months later I'm hopeful we might squeeze in another!

Enjoy every moment and take care of yourself while you take care of your DH! It changes everything in your life. God Bless your family!

I am glad that you had the family time together. We just returned from a cruise in Feb with my parents and brother/sis inlaw. My mom has early stages dementia, COPD, DHF and esophageal cancer. She is going to be 84 this yr and every day is a blessing. It was her idea to do one last cruise as a family and it was wonderful. Blessings and prayers to your family.

Judy

I'm glad you were all able to enjoy the cruise. Best wishes to you and your husband.

And, on a lighter note, I read your post too fast and thought you saw a whale who was sitting on your balcony, not while you were sitting on your balcony. I was thinking you were lucky to have the larger balcony . . .

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. DH is only 58, but this nasty disease is just moving so quickly we were afraid that if we didn't try to take this trip we would not be able to in the future. The crew on the Star just seem to be one of the nicest I have encountered and I felt I needed to post and give them some credit for our great vacation.

RMM34667, I know what you mean about getting your hopes up about a future cruise, this one went so well it makes me wonder if there will maybe be another one in our near future. I think cruising is a good way to travel for someone with a disability of sorts.

Amistad, thanks for your mini-review (actually, it was a full review!). We are on the Star eastern itinerary next Saturday, and just booked it two days ago. I remembered reading all sorts of good reports recently on the Star, and am happy to see that yours is another one.

My heart goes out to you with your husband's illness, especially as he is so young. Sending you good thoughts on dealing with challenges in the future. We lost my dad to Alzheimers last summer, but for two years he didn't know me. My world shifted a bit when he first asked me if I had parents living nearby (yes, real close!). Hard, hard stuff. Hang in there.

Amistad.

We were on the Star sailing just prior to yours, and also found the staff and ship to be excellent. I am so glad that you and your family had a great cruise together and some wonderful memories.

Hi Jeanne (Pescado)...hope you have a great experience on the Star-we also booked it last minute! I know you love hot tubs.--there is a wonderful and very hot one (some were not too hot) near the back on the 16th deck under Skywalkers-beautiful views! My favorite hangout!

Carole

Thank you everyone for your kind thoughts. DH is only 58, but this nasty disease is just moving so quickly we were afraid that if we didn't try to take this trip we would not be able to in the future. The crew on the Star just seem to be one of the nicest I have encountered and I felt I needed to post and give them some credit for our great vacation.

RMM34667, I know what you mean about getting your hopes up about a future cruise, this one went so well it makes me wonder if there will maybe be another one in our near future. I think cruising is a good way to travel for someone with a disability of sorts.

Nasty and so confusing and unpredictable!! And the progression some times seems to come in spurts. Things go fine for awhile then you notice some quick declines. This probably will sound terrible but for my 84 year old father, I truly hope his heart fails him before the rest of his mind. (LOL he just came and said good morning even though he was up and hour ago and went through his same morning routine! Next he will be asking if he was up before and did he take his pills!) I'd love to take him on another cruise it is just so relaxing for everyone!

I know you love hot tubs.--there is a wonderful and very hot one (some were not too hot) near the back on the 16th deck under Skywalkers-beautiful views! My favorite hangout!

Hi Carole, and thanks for that info. Yes, you're right, a hot tub with a view is one of our favorite things! We contemplated this cruise for all of about 10 minutes when we saw that a cabin in our favorite location had become available, and we are close to the Terrace Deck and that hot tub. I may not move from there all cruise (except to watch the royal wedding on MUTS). Can't wait!

Hi Amistad and all,

Thank you for your review and all the positive comments on the Star.

We will be sailing on her in June from Venice to Rome down the Adriatic and round the Greek Isles. It will be our 1st time with Princess and we have found your comments very reassuring.

Berwyn

Hi Amistad and all,

Thank you for your review and all the positive comments on the Star.

We will be sailing on her in June from Venice to Rome down the Adriatic and round the Greek Isles. It will be our 1st time with Princess and we have found your comments very reassuring.

Berwyn

The crew seems to be excited about the itinerary you are going on, many of them seem to be from Croatia, Serbia and around that area. I hope you have a wonderful cruise. We were at the beach with a few of the crew and bought them a few drinks and they are just such a nice group of hard working young people.

Wormy,

I traveled with my husband, recently diagnosed with Early Onset Alzheimer's and my daughter and her husband and their 4 yr. old, they were in a Caribe balcony midship, since we weren't sure how DH was going to hold up during the trip we planned beach day's. We went to Cockleshell on St Kitts and had massage's, one hour full body was 50.00. The day we were in Barbados we took a taxi to Carlisle bay beach and relaxed. St Lucia we had Spencer Ambrose take us to Jalousie Beach for the day, it is lovely, he provides lunch and drinks for the day. Antiqua, we went to Valley Church Beach, St Thomas to Emerald Bay, and we rented a bungalow on Princess Cay and had the gourmet lunch option.

My daughter and I both agreed that we would do this same itinerary again if able to. We were afraid this may be our last family cruise due to my husbands health condition, and I was worried it might be hard, but he did very good considering.

Thanks for the info! We love beach days too. (Esp liked the $50 massage!) I'm glad you had a good time with your family.

Archived