Future design of HAL ships may be wider

BoiseIdahoSpud

On our recent Noordam cruise, I had an opportunity to ask Captain John Scott what the future may hold for new HAL ships.

He expects the HAL ships of the future to not be taller or longer than the cuurent Signature Class, but they will be wider. This is driven by the width of the new channel of the Panama Canal. He also said that being a bit wider will require less ballast and therefore open up more interior space of the ship to be used for better purposes. He was positive about this change.

He expressed that HAL is generally comfortable with the size of ships it is currently designing and will leave the larger designs to other brands.

While I have zero inside information to share, I see the logic in the comment from Capt. Scott. For example, comparing the Eurodam to the Carnival Triumph (both built by the same ship yard):

Eurodam:

Passenger capacity: 2,104

Passenger decks: 11

Gross tonnage: 86,273grt

Length: 936 feet

Beam: 105.8

Carnival Triumph:

Gross Tonnage: 101,509

Length: 893 Feet

Beam: 116 Feet

Passenger Decks: 11 (or 12 with the sun deck)

Guest Capacity: 2,758 (double occupancy)

In this case, the Triumph is larger overall (by about 15,000 GRT), is wider, but is actually shorter.

On our recent Noordam cruise, I had an opportunity to ask Captain John Scott what the future may hold for new HAL ships.

He expects the HAL ships of the future to not be taller or longer than the cuurent Signature Class, but they will be wider. This is driven by the width of the new channel of the Panama Canal. He also said that being a bit wider will require less ballast and therefore open up more interior space of the ship to be used for better purposes. He was positive about this change.

He expressed that HAL is generally comfortable with the size of ships it is currently designing and will leave the larger designs to other brands.

This is good news if they do not go to the mega style :)

This is good news if they do not go to the mega style :)

Agree. DH & I hae been holding our breaths that HAL would venture into this market with 1 mega ship. I hope corporate Seattle realizes there are passengers who prefer smaller, more intimate ships.

Archived