Dining Room Menu Choices

mgmigs

Hi,

No flamers here please. When RCCL changed thier policy with regards to cutting diamond member benefits (about 2 years ago), it realy turned me off and they no longer were my first choice.

i will be sailing with them again with a large family group because one of the salings fit in with everyones schedules. I was wondering if the menu choices have changed any in the past 2 years? was hoping for some variety as the old menu kinda became stagnant after having it so many times.

Maria

Popular menu choices remain. Some were scratched. On a recent travel program, they said the chefs watch what is returned and what's not chosen frequently and that accounts for the changes to the menu. It makes sense that if food choices are returned and a second choice sent out, the chef wouldn't continue to purchase these foods and waste so much of their food budget. If an item is popular, they would get requests for it to be on the menu. You'll see many of the same items, but they seem to be the ones you'll see on the Boards that are so popular with everyone. They still had the vidalia tart, escargot, shrimp cocktail, Key Lime Pie, ....but I honestly can't remember many of the main entree items. I know they had duck one night, pork medallions...those have been there on every cruise for at least the last 5 years.. and a vegetarian entree every night.

Same last month as last year and the year before. The variety is good but I know where you are coming from. :(

There could be more new choices slipped in occasionally. It is especially frustrating when you have the same choices that you don't really like on the same night. Time for RCI to mix it up a little.

Changing the menu seems to be the solution that many people believe will improve the quality of the food served in the main dining room. In my opinion your enjoyment of those meals depends much more on the talents and abilities of the people who prepare those meals, not the talents of the menu writers. If the cooks are deficient, a complete change of menus will do nothing to improve your dining experience. It has been my experience that rather than make wholesale changes to the menus, they are more likely to add and subtract certain items depending on how well or how poorly they are received by the guests.

Also depends on the route. Say last cruises were Caribbean then if next one is somewhere very different like Alaska, New England or Europe then there will likely be local themed items added in to the standard favorites. Also port of origin (count FLL and MIA same) due to what is available from distributors.

Also depends on the route. Say last cruises were Caribbean then if next one is somewhere very different like Alaska, New England or Europe then there will likely be local themed items added in to the standard favorites. Also port of origin (count FLL and MIA same) due to what is available from distributors.

On our 14-night repositioning cruise in Alaska we had the standard menus. There were no local specialties due to our location. I know some lines do this but I'm not sure if RCI is one of them.

Archived