Off the boat after embarcation?

sjwoody1167

I will be getting to my ship pretty early. I have a pretty big diet coke habit. I was wondering if after embarcation on the Oosterdam in Seattle I could get back off the boat and go to a grocery store and get some soda to bring onboard. I thought may be I could catch a cab. Or is this just a silly idea and I should just suck it up and pay $2.24 a can with a soda card?

pier 91 doesn't have any stores near it

keep in mind that the oosterdam leaves at 4 pm - and you will have a 3:15 lifeboat drill

maybe you should consider the coke card:

$50.00 Soda Card cost $25.00

The soda card costs $25 but has a face value of $50. Each time you buy a soda with it $2.24 ($1.95 + 15%) is deducted from the value. $50/$2.24 = 22 cans, with $0.72 left over. You can use that $0.72 with $1.52 on your room key card (or another soda card) to get another can.

I will be getting to my ship pretty early. I have a pretty big diet coke habit. I was wondering if after embarcation on the Oosterdam in Seattle I could get back off the boat and go to a grocery store and get some soda to bring onboard. I thought may be I could catch a cab. Or is this just a silly idea and I should just suck it up and pay $2.24 a can with a soda card?

You certainly would be allowed to do so but if you can't bring it with when you embark it might cost you more for the cab trip than you might save?

Yes, you can get back off again as long as you're back in time. In fact, you don't even have to get on. You can check in and immediately leave to go shopping.

With a soda card, if you use it all up, you're paying $1.12 per can - 22 cans for $25. Essentially you're paying $2.24 per can for the first 11 and the next 11 are free. If you drink just 12 cans you're throwing away 10 free ones, etc. (If you drink 10 cans you get a refund of $2.60 ... $25 cost minus $22.40)

Are you flying or driving to embarcation city? If driving, load up on the sodas before leaving home, buy a collapsable cooler and haul up to 50 cans onboard. DH & DS each carried 30 cans aboard in coolers that could hold up to 50 cans!

If you're flying, you can collapse the cooler for the flight and buy what you need after you land before going to the pier.

Hope this helps. Have a great cruise.

We appreciate HAL letting passengers bring their own soft drinks, as HAL sells Coca-Cola products, and we prefer Pepsi.

Why not just stop somewhere on the way to the ship to pick up some of your nectar?

Kirk

exactly! that's what we would do. If you are taking a cab there, I'm sure he will stop for you. Grab what you need and bring it onboard.

Then you can just relax :D

There is an IGA on 3rd Avenue downtown...about three blocks from the market. Depending on how much time you have to waste, you could go see the market, pick up your caffeine and head back :). As noted in earlier posts, there are no stores near pier 91..but a few downtown (about three miles away).

Archived