Why do people theink "FUN" means "LOUD"?

LibraByTheSea

Just back from a very last minute four day cruise on the Destiny. (review coming soon)

I have never seen so many people just screaming and yelling all the time...even in the dining room on formal night...kids belly-flooping in the hot tubs...it was nuts

It seemed that many people just wanted to let everyone on the ship know they were there.

I have cruised Carnival many times and never experienced anything like it. I actually called security when the walls of my cabin were visably vibrating from a boom box and maybe 10-15 people screaming from a cabin several down from me. The desk said it was the end of spring break but I was on the Valor for spring break with over 2000 college kids and this made that look mellow.

Shorter cruises (3 and 4 days) are often called "booze cruises" as it's a way for people to let loose and step out of their element. Loud music coming from cabins, obnoxious passengers who cut in line, drunk 21 year old girls crying and wondering how they are going to pay their S&S cards, chair hogs (and hot tub hogs as well) are all over the place... this is one reason why we avoid them like the plague - unless we have a goal in mind (me getting platinum for europe) and have to suck it up and go on one.

Try a longer cruise if you can - they are much more mellow!

The shorter and cheaper the cruise is, the higher the chances that you'll find yourself surrounded by fellow cruisers that don't know how to behave themselves in public.

And before someone else says that they've been on short cruises were people behaved, I have too, many times. However, the WORST behavior I've ever experienced aboard a cruise ship has coincided with the short, cheap cruises.

It's a shame that things like that happen but they do.

Did security do anything about your boom box neighbors?

Yes! Within 10 minutes....then the desk called to tell me if it started back up...call again!

This is definitely not an issue with Carnival...it was passengers...yep sad!

Well no offense but you went on one of the short "booze cruise"s in the area of spring break. Who wouldn't expect a ton of really drunk and really loud college students?

Just saying.

Sorry you had a bad time on your cruise, hopefully you'll enjoy your next!

And that's why I would never take a "short" cruise (less than ~7 days). And never during spring break.

I hope that you enjoyed some of your cruise, because I know how excited you were!!:o

Nonetheless, it is continuously astonishing how little self-control and maturity people have these days. If I were next to that cabin of screaming banshies, I would make it VERY clear to those passengers that this is not a fraternity house. :eek:

Definitely short cruises in general. We had some obnoxious college-aged neighbors down the hallway (luckily not right next door) on a 4 night cruise in June. They also carried a blaring boombox everywhere with them, including 2 in the morning as they were coming back to their cabin. The public areas weren't so bad, though.

Being a shorter (and probably cheaper) cruise, you would get a lot more of the college kids who are just out for the party.

I doubt that this had anything to do with college students. Exams start in about a week, so they would not be cruising right now.

Well no offense but you went on one of the short "booze cruise"s in the area of spring break. Who wouldn't expect a ton of really drunk and really loud college students?

Just saying.

Sorry you had a bad time on your cruise, hopefully you'll enjoy your next!

College spring break is long over. In fact in another 2 weeks (around May 6th) colleges will start being dismissed for the summer.

Originally Posted by vwrestler171 View Post

Being a shorter (and probably cheaper) cruise, you would get a lot more of the college kids who are just out for the party.

I doubt that this had anything to do with college students. Exams start in about a week, so they would not be cruising right now.

Not all colleges are on the same schedule, nor are all the students studious enough to study :D

As others have said...stay away from the short cruises!! I've always thought that when people are screaming and talking with loud voices they are really saying, "Look at me! I want the attention!"

I'm sure booze plays a part but I've seen people knock off 6-8 bottles of beer in less than a half hour and they just mellow out. It's really about getting attention.

The worst behavior I've seen on cruises didn't happen over Spring Break. One was in early December and the other one in early May.

The behavior came from ADULTS who, apparently, live their lives back home with the same level of rudeness, poor behavior, and lack of consideration for others. I've witnessed people screaming at each other, pushing, shoving, using racial epithets, smoking in non smoking areas, getting intoxicated to the level of becoming violent, etc...

Coincidentally, both of these cruises that will always occupy a "special place" in my heart, happened to be short cruises, and very cheaply priced...

College spring break is long over. In fact in another 2 weeks (around May 6th) colleges will start being dismissed for the summer.

My son who attends college in California had his spring break last week... my bosses' daughter who attends in Hawaii, also had it last week-- so your logic is flawed.

However, like others have said, shorter cruises tend to focus on the alcohol factor. It could be college aged idiots, bachelor/bachelorette parties or even Joe Schmoo who is out to celebrate whatever. Drunkeness happens to all ages-- my husband arrests the whole gamut.

Just back from a very last minute four day cruise on the Destiny. (review coming soon)

I have never seen so many people just screaming and yelling all the time...even in the dining room on formal night...kids belly-flooping in the hot tubs...it was nuts

It seemed that many people just wanted to let everyone on the ship know they were there.

I have cruised Carnival many times and never experienced anything like it. I actually called security when the walls of my cabin were visably vibrating from a boom box and maybe 10-15 people screaming from a cabin several down from me. The desk said it was the end of spring break but I was on the Valor for spring break with over 2000 college kids and this made that look mellow.

It's one of the reasons we will never take a Carnival cruise without our kids. If you want fun and the ability to relax, you may want to check out Princess or Celebrity. For us, that means Princess.

This is the main reason why we try to cruise in September/October. Some will say, that's prime hurricane season, but the ship can change course. Being stuck on a ship with a bunch of drunk out of control college students would be much worse than missing a port.

FYI for those who don't know (I work at a hotel on the beach in Florida). Spring Break starts the last week of Feb. and goes until the end of April.

Then beginning in mid-May the Senior Trips start up for ~2-3 weeks. So once we get over all the college kids, we get the high school kids.

Other than the fact that I can't ge off work during that time, I wouldn't take a cruise during those months no matter how low the fare was. I see how those kids act when away from home and parents and it's disturbing and loud to say the least. I will say that NOT all the kids are bad, but the bad ones out weigh the good one 75% of the time.

I also warn people with younger kids or older people during those times strongly about it being spring break when they call to check on booking during those times. They appreciate the fact that I let them know what they will be in store for if they decide to stay.

Archived