Ocean Village to Azura via Carnival.

ginagee

Hi

We are seasoned cruisers who spent a lot of Christmas's on the OV cruise ships. Last year we opted for a Carnival Cruise on the Carnival Dream from Orlando. It was a good cruise but something was missing somehow.......so we have opted for an English Ship once again. Any other OV fans gonna be on here or any Brits from the Carnival Line? We need updating on the dress code for the evenings to if anyone would like to post some replies please?

We were OV fans too and are gutted that she's gone 'Down Under'. However, we're booked on Azura later this year but not too sure if we're going to enjoy the dressing up bit even though we've always dressed smart casual in the evenings.

Do any of the seasoned cruisers know of any ship that is even remotely similar to Ocean Village which had a lovely friendly and laid back atmosphere whilst still being very efficient?

We were OV fans too and are gutted that she's gone 'Down Under'. However, we're booked on Azura later this year but not too sure if we're going to enjoy the dressing up bit even though we've always dressed smart casual in the evenings.

Do any of the seasoned cruisers know of any ship that is even remotely similar to Ocean Village which had a lovely friendly and laid back atmosphere whilst still being very efficient?

Have a look at NCL they may fit what you are looking for, casual but still a great holiday

Never did OV however on Ventura at xmas we met two couples who had been on OV lots of times and saw Ventura as the next step. Both loved it. Said it was more formal obviously however really enjoyed the atmosphere club dining.

Yes as 'Hammers' has said we had some fantastic cruises onboard the OV's but are now P&O coverts.

We took our first P&O cruise onboard Arcadia - formal, semi formal, adults only and only club dining option talk about jumping in at the deep end!! However we had a fabulous cruise my OH never owned a DJ until then and I never thought he would, he now really enjoys the formal side of the cruising.

Hi Craig ....didn't have much choice really as we needed specific dates and Azura or Celebrity were the only ones we could choose from. Celebrity were very expensive - way more than Azura. Looking forward to it though. Gina:cool:

Intrigued Ginagee why you opted for Azura rather than Ventura. I would have said Azura will be a lot more traditional/formal than V.

Azura really isnt much different to Ventura. Its even being marketed as a family ship now rather than the couples ship.

Our friends did many OV cruises and loved them before they sailed on Ventura with us. (We too had sailed on OV but not enjoyed it.)

We booked our first P&O cruise together.The male half of each couple were both a bit unsure about the dressing up aspect of P&O but decided to bite the bullet and purchased there first ever dinner suits. And boy was that a good move. We took immediately to dressing up and P&O!

All had a fabulous time and are now all total P&O converts.

Azura really isnt much different to Ventura. Its even being marketed as a family ship now rather than the couples ship.

I agree although there do appear to be so many people who say they love Azura, hate Ventura. I find this pretty strange. They are almost identical twins. Whilst the original marketing for Azura tried to appeal to couples, Azura has the same facilities for kids as Ventura. The main difference between the two has primarily been the clientelle since the marketing hype attracted a more traditional crowd initially. I think those that say they like Azura over Ventura may have experienced more children on board during a school holiday.

Personally I prefer the mix of ages on Ventura and found Azura a touch pretentious at times.

• 1 month later...

Former OV fans here too - we enjoyed 4 excellent cruises on board 3 Caribbean and 1 Transatlantic. We are trying out Azura next month as we have come via Royal Caribbean. It was okay but I know exactly what you mean about something missing and we are not in a rush to go back with RCL - very shortsighted getting rid of the OV ships in my opinion. We are trying a week in July going to France, Ireland and Spain to hopefully regain our cruising enthusiasm :)

We sailed 7 times with OV loved it at first tried sea princess in between but went back to OV

We then moved to

RC and have completed 6 cruises with them but have grown tried of the same entertainment and ports

We booked Christmas and new year on the azura and on the Ventura next week slightly nervous so will let you know now we get on

• 2 weeks later...

We did our first cruise with OV2 and loved every minute. Last year we went with P&O on Oceana and despite being a bit worried re the formal nights we joined in and had a fantastic holiday - will definitely go with P&O again and are looking at Azura for next year. :)

I do not understand how people can say there is no difference between Azura and Ventura. The difference is huge, one has seven letters in her name and the other only five. The other differences are listed below:-

Gan Canny

Dai

I do not understand how people can say there is no difference between Azura and Ventura. The difference is huge, one has seven letters in her name and the other only five. The other differences are listed below:-

Gan Canny

Dai

You missed point 5!!!!!!!!

Archived