Need new Luggage and Carry on

livingskies78

I got a set of Dockers suitcases with wheels a few years ago, and they have survived a number of extended trips in addition to cruises. You might be able to use the larger ones for you and smaller ones for the children. I think we bought them at Macy's on sale.

Black is hard to spot in baggage claim unless you decorate with ribbons or other decorations or buy colored luggage tags. Your children might have fun decorating their suitcases.

I use pack it bags to squeeze things in. I keep my pants, tops, etc. together.

Then I have to weigh my bags to avoid going over the limit:rolleyes:. (Luggage scale from Radio Shack)

I bought my children the double decker athalon bags from ebags in 2009. They love them and use them all the time. Added bonus is they are unique in their color/style. They have held up great too, both as checked bags and carryons.

I have luggage bought from JCPenney and from HSN and the one from HSN is falling apart and is only 4 years old and the luggage from JCPenney is like 10 years old and still in great shape. Shop around check out prices. Also my children always had their own luggage and was responsible for lugging it around. Also my granddaughter had her own little luggage and loves wheeling around, it makes her feel important wheeling her own luggage.

Have had our best luck for the most useable sizes at JC Penny & Sears

We double checked the airlines we use most for their carry-on sizes and then went shopping.

The red set from JC Penny has lasted 10yrs, with our traveling at least two to 3 times a year,

Suggest getting Black, because it will turn Black with all the skuffing up that happens,

Put a bright ribbon or tag on it to make it easily identafyable at baggage claim

• 1 month later...

In addition to TJMaxx, check out Tuesday Morning. I was able to find a Samsonite wheeled garment bag for $40 and after visiting several stores was able to accumulate an entire set. This has held up a lot better than my previous J.C. Penney set. 2 over-seas trips, Hawaii, multiple US trips, and 2 cruises and they are holding up well. :cool:

Not sure if this was mentioned or not (didn't read everyone's responses) but one thing that was mentioned to me last year is that if you are flying, then it's a great idea to get something that is not the "normal" black luggage. Get something that stands out and you can spot easily when it's on the turn table from the airport. :) I thought that was a terrific idea and purchased new luggage this year for our trip. :D

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the giant rolling Adventure duffle bags that L.L. Bean makes. They come in a few sizes but I have the biggest one. The largest one will run you about $100. My bag is about 3 years old and has taken around 25 flights plus a few weekend road trips with me. It is hot pink plaid and super easy to find at the baggage claim. I can spot it the second it hits the conveyor belt. There are a variety of obnoxiously bright patterns and colors to choose from. My favorite part is that once you empty the bag it folds completely flat and you can shove it under the bed. This is especially nice in small hotel rooms or cruise ships where storage space is minimal.

Not sure if I saw it mentioned but if you are flying check on a site like Seat Guru for the carry-on size for overhead bins. One of my flights next year has a 18x14x7 limit and as I prefer to keep my carry-on with me I just purchased a new bag at Tuesday Morning. Typically on flights like that carry-ons are placed in the hold.

• 2 weeks later...

my last luggage i bought is suad and i will never buy it again. the color is easy too spot but they are heavy and all marked up, dirty looking and have horrible black lines on them from the luggage belts. i also wish i had more pockets on the outside for stuff and the 4 wheels that turn 360. the more gaudy the better along with being as lightweight at possible.

FWIW, when I needed a new carry on case I looked at what flight attendants were using - TravelPro. I have no interest in promoting any brand over another but figured that the people in the business should know what brands stand up to rough handing. My 22" and 29" cases are black and look like 95% of the bags out there, but they are sturdy and I'm happy with how they have held up.

Double check the airline maximum sizes.

We have a number of sets we've got over the years (some from our "points" on a credit card too!) and the largest suitcase in each set is TOO BIG for the current maximums on the airlines. The airlines say it has to be under xx inches when you add up length plus width plus height.

Get at least 2 wheels, 4 are great, but as others have said, watch the empty weight as that 50 lb max. comes up fast!!

We bought a portable luggage hand scale so when I'm packing both at home and at the end of our trip I can ensure the bags are under 50 lbs.

I was looking for something roomy but small and waterproof,I then I looked at my Segway Handlebar bag. Its a hybrid shell,Hard plastic front with soft back,

waterproof zips and exterior pockets.They are pricey, if you go to a dealer, but I found one at the goodwill store.

• 3 weeks later...

I have Caribbean Joe brand Luggage and LOVE IT! I got mine of of ebay for 99 bucks. For a 3 piece set they also have different brands as well. But here is a trick to buying them. There is online store called Ebags they also have a store on ebay aswell. So look their store up on ebay. Same company, but you can get there luggage for almost 20 bucks off and free shipping. I dont know why they do it. But hey if its so much money off. Fine by me!! Hope you find something good!;)

• 3 weeks later...
Hello

We are in need of new suitcases, as we have gained three kids. We have to suitcases and lots of school backpacks.

What do you suggest with out breaking the bank, but holds up to many trips.

Next year we will be travelling with (9, 4, 2) kids I figure the 9 and 4 year old can pull there own carry on with their on little back packs

need suitcases and carry on.

JC Penney and Kohls...I have bought several sets from these stores over the years and if you watch the sales you can pick up a luggage set for around $70. And, yes, it's a set....usually a 4-5 piece set.

I figure the 9 and 4 year old can pull there own carry on with their on little back packs

This reminds me of something that happened while in line to clear customs after my cruise on the Carnival Victory (NY to Canada and back) in August 2008.

The line does its typical switchbacks and I was now in a position to see the customs desk. In front of me was a seven year old boy pulling a roller bag of carry-on size. I'm looking at the customs desk and I notice out of the bottom of my eyes that the little boy is backing up. So I put one hand flat in front of me so that if he backs up too far he'll bump into my hand and not bump into me.

I continue to look at the customs desk and out of the bottom of my eyes notice that the boy is continuing to back up, so now I have both hands out in front of me (fingers pointing down at a 45 degree angle).

As I continue to eyeball the customs deck I now realize the boy is accelerating. So I look down just in time to see him start to fall backwards. I yell "woe" and since my hands are in the perfect position I easily catch him.

Of course the yell gets everyone's attention and it is obvious what has happened. The little boy stood the suitcase up and the suitcase fell backwards taking the little boy with it. The little boy never let go. So there I am, holding a little seven year old boy who is holding a roller bag suitcase, and both are leaning at about 45 degrees backwards.

One lady simple says, "That bag is bigger than he is." I'm holding both waiting for the little boy to let go of the suitcase, but it quickly become obvious that he is not going to let go.

No problem. I pick the boy up so that both he and the suitcase are now hanging straight down. I gentle lower both until the suitcase touches the floor. I then stick my foot out to prevent the bag from moving and push the boy out a bit until the suitcase is now leaning toward him. I then gently lower him so his feet are on the ground and now everything is back the way it should be.

Dad says thank you and everyone continues as though nothing happened, which in fact was the case simply because the boy fell backwards into my hands.

So, the moral of the story is, make sure the kids keep the roller bags leaning toward them - or else.

IMG_0468.JPG

Archived